DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An interesting mistake, and you should know when flying in a cool weather!

hchen

Reactions
It was a cool day. I wore a pair of gloves that special designed for photographers. It has pull-back the thumb and forefinger tips to reveal your fingers. The tips are secured in place by magnets. When my drone was in the place to take off, I saw a warning of "calibration needed", I immediately followed the instruction to do the calibration. Unlike I experienced before, the calibration failed a few times before I got "Successful" indication. The situation was extremely unusual. I kept to get "calibration needed" and "calibration failed" so many times that it made me start to investigate what was going on. I did not see any big metal around the take off area. Suddenly, I realized there was two small magnets right in my gloves! And further more, I always use my hand take off and landing! I had joyful fly in the rest of day after I removed the pair of gloves.
If you are curious what the gloves look like, here it is: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...Men_s_Stretch_Thinsulate_Gloves.html/overview

thanks for the share, it indeed does not take much to give a compass error calibrate message especially if the are magnets very close to the drone

Yep. I use those to shoot and to fly. But if I need to do a compass calibration, I have to take them off. But normally it's my VO doing the compass dance instead of me.

Looking at that website for the gloves it does state "Magnetic Finger Tips". Surely this is the reason? Try gloves without Magnetic Finger Tips.

I noticed similar problems when I wore an Apple Watch with a powerful magnet on the band. I think it even got too close to the sensors on the copter (when carrying it), and messed them up. I now use the velcro band, an make sure the watch is in “Airplane Mode”.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I noticed similar problems when I wore an Apple Watch with a powerful magnet on the band. I think it even got too close to the sensors on the copter (when carrying it), and messed them up. I now use the velcro band, an make sure the watch is in “Airplane Mode”.
There is no magnet on my Apple watch band. Therefore, no issue for me.

If I take off from my wooden deck, I need to place the drone "between" the rows of deck screws...otherwise I get an interference message.
Taking off from sidewalks (and closed tarmacs) can cause a similar interference due to the amount of rebar reinforcement.

I had the same happening with me a couple of months ago. All of a sudden I needed to calibrate the drone constantly and it wouldn't succeed for times after another... then I realized the bracelet I am wearing has a magnetic clasp... Doh!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harrisonford