DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An interesting phone call with a drone expert

KobeFlight1981

Reactions
So I had a phone call today (not saying who it is), but it was a little strange. I wanted (at the time) to know about flying my drone at an event for my own personal use and fun. But later found the information I needed after digging around on various sites.
So during the call, he started going on about me getting a PFco, or hiring someone in with a commercial "license" (Not a license) to get some footage for me, saying that I wouldn't be able to use the pictures or even post any of my videos on youtube - which I also found weird because, even as a hobbyist, am I not allowed to post ANY of my videos on my youtube channel? It's not like I have a youtube channel with subscribes and getting paid for it?
Anyway I was very clear to him that any footage is for my own personal use. I had no intention of selling them or giving them to the site I want to fly.
He asked what drone I had, and I told him, a Mavic Pro.. he was like.. ooo,,, a little dated, it depends how often it was serviced, I wouldn't fly it???... WTF?...
Further along the conversation, I asked him about Blue Zones and the area is in the blue zone according to my AIR MAP app.. He told me to check out the Dronesafe app and recommended it, also checked himself and said there was no restrictions in the area I wish to fly. I later found out (about 5 minutes ago) that the dronesafe app is a pile of crap (bad reviews) and AIR MAP was the suggested alternative which has been rated very high in reviews.. Weird thing was it sounded like he didn't know about AIR MAP?...
Anyway, after speaking to him and hearing some advice, he apparently had another call and had to go.. Maybe he got fed up talking to me.
Have any of you had this kind of conversation where the expert sounded a little like an amatuer?
In all honesty, I did get some good information and ideas, but all I wanted to do was fly my drone at this particular location where there shouldn't be that many people around before the event ....
Also, VLOS - Visual Line of Sight, Do you know what is our maximum distance for VLOS for a hobbyist and Commercial?
Your thoughts as I was also told something I thought was weird about VLOS as well :p?

Last edited:
So I had a phone call today (not saying who it is), but it was a little strange. I wanted (at the time) to know about flying my drone at an event for my own personal use and fun. But later found the information I needed after digging around on various sites.
So during the call, he started going on about me getting a PFco, or hiring someone in with a commercial "license" (Not a license) to get some footage for me, saying that I wouldn't be able to use the pictures or even post any of my videos on youtube - which I also found weird because, even as a hobbyist, am I not allowed to post ANY of my videos on my youtube channel? It's not like I have a youtube channel with subscribes and getting paid for it?
Anyway I was very clear to him that any footage is for my own personal use. I had no intention of selling them or giving them to the site I want to fly.
He asked what drone I had, and I told him, a Mavic Pro.. he was like.. ooo,,, a little dated, it depends how often it was serviced, I wouldn't fly it???... WTF?...
Further along the conversation, I asked him about Blue Zones and the area is in the blue zone according to my AIR MAP app.. He told me to check out the Dronesafe app and recommended it, also checked himself and said there was no restrictions in the area I wish to fly. I later found out (about 5 minutes ago) that the dronesafe app is a pile of crap (bad reviews) and AIR MAP was the suggested alternative which has been rated very high in reviews.. Weird thing was it sounded like he didn't know about AIR MAP?...
Anyway, after speaking to him and hearing some advice, he apparently had another call and had to go.. Maybe he got fed up talking to me.
Have any of you had this kind of conversation where the expert sounded a little like an amatuer?
In all honesty, I did get some good information and ideas, but all I wanted to do was fly my drone at this particular location where there shouldn't be that many people around before the event ....
Also, VLOS - Visual Line of Sight, Do you know what is our maximum distance for VLOS for a hobbyist and Commercial?
Your thoughts as I was also told something I thought was weird about VLOS as well :p?
This is in the US right?

Assuming you are in the US there’s not a restriction that says you can’t post videos you’ve made to YouTube even as a recreational pilot. You could even monetize the video as long as your purpose for flying at the time you flew was for recreation. The FAA is the Federal Aviation Administration, they administrate aviation not commerce. What you do after you have finished flying is outside the FAA’s jurisdiction.

Where the line would be is if you took off with the intent to make a video that you intended to put on YouTube and monetize for the purpose of making money at the time of flight. Even if you intended to monetize the video at the time of flight but never do, technically you have violated FAA regulations. The FAA can only regulate flights so the intention of the flight is what matters not what happens after.

Use AirMap or Kittyhawk, I personally use AirMap but KittyHawk is growing on me.

VLOS is a dynamic limit based on the pilot and conditions. A pilot with super human long distance vision has a further limit than someone with terrible eyesight. Flying in clear conditions has a further limit than flying in fog. Flying at dusk with high powered navigational lighting in clear conditions is probably the optimal conditions for VLOS. Anybody that tells you static range on VLOS has no idea what they are talking about.

For hobbyists the FAA further clarifies the meaning of VLOS as The Aircraft is Flown Within the Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the Person Operating the Aircraft or a Visual Observer Co-Located and in Direct Communication With the Operator. This means that either the recreational flyer or the visual observer must have eyes on the aircraft at all times to ensure it is not a collision hazard to other aircraft or people on the ground. The assistance of a visual observer is generally optional but is helpful in ensuring the recreational flyer is able to check instruments for extended periods. The assistance of a visual observer is necessary if the recreational flyer wants to
use first person view (FPV) devices that allow a limited view of the surrounding area from the perspective of a camera aboard the aircraft.
7.1.3.1 Visual observers need to be co-located with the recreational flyer, and able to communicate directly with the recreational flyer without the use of technological assistance“

Its often said that the person at the controls or visual observer should be able to determine visually which direction the drone is facing at all times to satisfy the requirement to “ensure it is not a collision hazard to other aircraft or people on the ground” but to my knowledge the FAA hasn’t spelled it out like that so it’s open to your interpretation assuming your are a reasonable person.

VLOS is as far as you can see your drone to control it ;)

Some obvious questions spring to mind:
  1. Where did you find this "expert"?
  2. Where are you located - the reference to a PfCO implies the UK?
Aside from that, the advice on posting to YouTube was incorrect - you can do that recreationally as long as you are not attempting to monetize it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots