DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android Ipad 4 replacement

samd012

Reactions
For some odd reason ;) I want to get an android device that is stable for the Mavic but will also fit in the holder with no additional gadgets. The ipad fits like it was made for it. Any suggestions???

One question...why? I'm not an Apple person, but facts are that the Android OS isn't very stable on the DJI platform. I've been flying all my DJI devices with IOS and have NEVER had any issues.

For some odd reason ;) I want to get an android device that is stable for the Mavic but will also fit in the holder with no additional gadgets. The ipad fits like it was made for it. Any suggestions???
Samsung tab S2 model T710 (7.9 inch from 2015)..

It makes no sense, if you got an iPad Mini 4, why replace it? The iPad is the perfect device for Mavic, and I'm an Android Guy...

Probably because he's one of those ''i'm only going to alter the manufacturer parameters of the Mavic to fly up the side of a tall mountain I happen to live next to whilst obeying all the guidelines and laws and not putting anyone at risk'' people.... now wouldn't it be ironic if you went from a perfectly stable IOS system which never crashed, altered all the parameters of your Mavic, flew it miles away at some ridiculous height only for the app to crash on some buggy Android system... o_O

Reactions: Pipes101
Samsung tab S2 model T710 (7.9 inch from 2015)..

Thanks Nate, appreciate you staying on topic.
As forWeston I have never gone above 400ft or for that matter beyond VLOS and I have been flying RC for well over 20 years under AMA regulations. I am 107 certified and know how and especially where it is legal for me to fly. I took the time to study and understand sectional charts and know the rules inside and out which I doubt you have.
If you do not see the arrogance of insinuating that I am just like everyone else who you disagree with then you need to look inward and realize that is a form of prejudice.
I'm just sayin!

I'm just curious why...? There must be a very good reason if you chose to leave a proven good solution.. Can you enlighten us?

Well is the IOS version of dji go been immune to forced updates. If it isn't then, I to would like to know of a good andriod tablet that doesn't crash( shield is no longer available) .

I only have a 4th gen Ipad 9.7 which doesn't support dji go apps.

hehe didnt take long to turn into the ultimate prejudicial ios vs android war :)

I have a new Android 8" tab coming in the mail this week which has HDMI out.
Hoping to FPV the mavic on box goggles with hdmi and or using the tab as RC screen.
The device is Chinese cheapo so no guarantees what so ever if it will satisfy.
Not sure how long you are waiting but i can report back after i test it and give link if worthy.
Otherwise you might be after something with better screen performance which is critical on sunny days.

Sounds great, in no rush right now. Can do everything I want I just do not like all of the collection data going on. I have read several articles on how extensive it is. Like the firewall options that android gives. Can't wait to hear back, thanks

Sounds great, in no rush right now. Can do everything I want I just do not like all of the collection data going on. I have read several articles on how extensive it is. Like the firewall options that android gives. Can't wait to hear back, thanks
I have the newer Samsung tab S2 which also works great once you install custom firmware. I put the official Lineage 14.1 ROM on it and it's perfect. I even used the screen recorder while flying. No lag.

Reactions: Will.i.am
Good to get some feedback before you make a decision.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab S has terrible lag and will crash at times. Great looking screen and a big 10.5-inch viewing.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is better with lag and crashing. But still, leaves a lot to be desired. Plus going to a smaller screen kind of sucked.
(I know both these devices will not fit in the controller.)
What it did make me realise after spending countless hours of research. Is DJI and Apple are like brothers and sisters.(You can buy DJI products at an Apple store) And everything else is outside the family. Thus Apple products will always be optimised to work well with DJI. And the rest will always be an afterthought.
Begrudgingly this led me to buy an iPad (2017) just so I don't have to deal with any more headaches. I have to admit. The iPad works flawlessly with the DJI Mavic.
That brings me back to my feelings about this. It leaves me rather sore and resentful. I can't help but feel DJI could have put some more effort into this. They do realise Andriod devices have about 80% of the market share. Though this does bring up the other complexity of having to deal with many more devices.
It is what it is though. It places the shoe on the other foot. Something I haven't had to deal with being a Windows and Andriod user. I feel for iOS/OS users that have put up with this for some time.

Cool-aid check.. the iPads are not immune to issues, I've had "CPU overloaded" issues show up on my iPad Mini 3 so I actually ended up going back to Android pretty often.. so it's not all puppies and rainbows in the iOS world either.

Well is the IOS version of dji go been immune to forced updates. If it isn't then, I to would like to know of a good andriod tablet that doesn't crash( shield is no longer available) .

I only have a 4th gen Ipad 9.7 which doesn't support dji go apps.

take your 4th gen ipad to best buy and have them buy it from you. i took my 4th gen in two weeks ago and got $120. from day one it was in an otterbox defender case. if you have any, i mean any imperfections, the buy back amount will DROP.
i bought a 128gb ipad mini 4, a little pricey, $300 out the door

I second the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 T710. I've been flying with it for 6 months. No crashes, bright OLED display, thinner and lighter than the minipad, and fits in the controller like it was made for it.

Reactions: Davel and garben
Thanks Nate, appreciate you staying on topic.
As forWeston I have never gone above 400ft or for that matter beyond VLOS and I have been flying RC for well over 20 years under AMA regulations. I am 107 certified and know how and especially where it is legal for me to fly. I took the time to study and understand sectional charts and know the rules inside and out which I doubt you have.
If you do not see the arrogance of insinuating that I am just like everyone else who you disagree with then you need to look inward and realize that is a form of prejudice.
I'm just sayin!

Lol, of course, whatever you say. Good luck with your planned course of action - I'm sure it'll work out well for you.

I was a Android user,but after purchasing the Mavic Pro,I had read of too many problems being had by Android users. I bit the bullet and got a new iPhone 7Plus! Yeah.......Cha Ching!:eek: But I really like it,and have never had a drop out yet. I also have a iPad Air 2,but really don't like the size of it but (I wanted a compact package).:) So in the end I ended up paying out more than I wanted,but got great results over all. To me it's kinda like paying up for a Corvette,then going to a shop that sells recap tires,to save some money!:rolleyes: The bargin won't for last long if your 900.00-1300.00 investment is out there somewhere lost. Why chance it? It remindes me of another adventure back in the day,of having a Hemi Cuda,and buying regular gasoline to try and save a buck. It didn't turn out well!:(

As I stated earlier, "I am NOT an Apple guy", but the forums (here & others) speak for themselves in regards to Android OS. In defense of DJI I understand completely why they're having issues with Android OS. Mainly because of the 50+ various hardware devices that the OS rides within. With Apple it's minimal.

Reactions: ElPocho and drrjv
Ok cool, here is sneak peak. Its actually been around for a little while.
Should be interesting to see if it matches with the mavic.
Yeah...I'll pass LOL. DJI barely functions on approved Android devices.

Stay with the iPad
You apple guys are some overly-sensitive and persistent fellows. The OP asked for recommendations for an Android alternative to the ipad. So far he's gotten 2 good suggestions and about 20 people questioning his sanity and telling him to stay with ipad. Get over yourselves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR