DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android phone vs iPhone for DJI Fly app?

piloto32

Reactions
Good afternoon. I'm thinking of buying the DJI Mini 2 and I'm also thinking of buying an extra phone for the controller. I read about the DJI Fly's compatibility problems with Android phones and the app isn't present on Google Play Store so that makes it suspicious. I don't want to sideload any app if possible and DJI has a history of several privacy problems on Android. DJI Fly app runs smooth on iPhones although my problem is that they are prone to overheating and dimming the display. I see this as a problem as I am going to visit a tropical country soon. I'm thinking that I can buy a cooling device for the iPhone but it will be another device to carry when traveling.

So what device is more appropriate in your opinion? Thank you so much.

Welcome to the forum.

I've read most download the Fly app directly from the DJI website downloads page for their drone model.
Either device is fine, a decent list of compatible phones / tablets here . . .

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

I understand that the controller will only take general phone size, but if upgrading / changing, why not consider a refurb ipad mini 5 with an adapter ?
I've never had an issue here in Oz with a mini 4, the mini 5 is brighter too.

I have had a problem with iphone overheating in direct sun in a car dash mount, but never when flying the drone with either phone or ipad mini.

Reactions: EtheB
I used to use apple products iPad, iphone etc, but not anymore. You down load the fly app directly from the DJI site for android. I have no idea why it’s not on the Playstore.
Never had any trouble with using an android (Samsung and now the Tripltek) unlike the iPhone which would often overheat and shut down in the hot environment up here.
Hope this helps, my thoughts.
Regards

Reactions: bkushner
I read about the DJI Fly's compatibility problems with Android phones
The app has no problem with the Android operating system.
The main issue you may have picked up on is that the Fly app will only run on 64 bit phones and tablets, ands the earlier Go app was a 32 bit app.
and the app isn't present on Google Play Store so that makes it suspicious.
You can blame that on the previous US administration making things difficult for a few Chinese companies.
and DJI has a history of several privacy problems on Android.
That's a myth, that's been debunked many times
DJI Fly app runs smooth on iPhones
Just as it does on suitable Android devices
although my problem is that they are prone to overheating and dimming the display. I see this as a problem as I am going to visit a tropical country soon. I'm thinking that I can buy a cooling device for the iPhone but it will be another device to carry when traveling.

So what device is more appropriate in your opinion? Thank you so much.
There is no reason to avoid using Android devices.
The app runs perfectly on either operating system.
Use whichever you are used to and comfortable with.
The most important factor is that you get a device with 4GB of RAM and a fast processor.

And welcome to the forum bye the way. Hope to see your works on the forum from your trip.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme