DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android problem

NLOL

Reactions
My mobile device is a Samsung S9 running Android version 10, and DJI Fly version 1.1.2. I've reloaded DJI Fly. Controller is version 01.00.0108. Aircraft is 01.00.0130.

When I first start the systems everything looks good - for a few seconds. My mobile device shows:

1) live image from the drone,

2) shows the proper location on the map

3) Take Off Permitted message

4) As can be seen in image below, my MA2 detected a nearby aircraft.I believe that is a real/true message.

So, it appears everything to be properly connected and functioning; until, maybe 2-3 seconds after controller and mobile device connect, the connection is lost. Immediately, the image displayed on the mobile device is frozen and grayed out, and the "RC not connected to mo..." message appears.This connection/disconnection re-occurs no matter what order I attach and power on the RC and the mobile device, and whether or not the aircraft is powered on or off.

I borrowed an IPhone to see what would happen. The current IPhone DJI Fly app is version 1.1.3. It worked fine.

I'm wondering if this is a user error (perhaps some android setting should be changed), or is there a bug in DJI Fly, or perhaps the problem is my magnetic personality. I've been wrestling this problem from the beginning - a week ago. Suggestions?

My mobile device is a Samsung S9 running Android version 10, and DJI Fly version 1.1.2. I've reloaded DJI Fly. Controller is version 01.00.0108. Aircraft is 01.00.0130.

When I first start the systems everything looks good - for a few seconds. My mobile device shows:

1) live image from the drone,

2) shows the proper location on the map

3) Take Off Permitted message

4) As can be seen in image below, my MA2 detected a nearby aircraft.I believe that is a real/true message.

So, it appears everything to be properly connected and functioning; until, maybe 2-3 seconds after controller and mobile device connect, the connection is lost. Immediately, the image displayed on the mobile device is frozen and grayed out, and the "RC not connected to mo..." message appears.This connection/disconnection re-occurs no matter what order I attach and power on the RC and the mobile device, and whether or not the aircraft is powered on or off.

I borrowed an IPhone to see what would happen. The current IPhone DJI Fly app is version 1.1.3. It worked fine.

I'm wondering if this is a user error (perhaps some android setting should be changed), or is there a bug in DJI Fly, or perhaps the problem is my magnetic personality. I've been wrestling this problem from the beginning - a week ago. Suggestions?
Sounds like a defective RC. Try and get an exchange or refund and get a better unit.

But he said it all works with an iPhone.
Since the problem appears to be intermittent, without having continuous use of an iPhone to know that it never occurs with an iPhone, I am suspicious. I'd rather he test with another MA2 setup or another Android device to better isolate the problem. Could also be unique to his Android device.

Since the problem appears to be intermittent, without having continuous use of an iPhone to know that it never occurs with an iPhone, I am suspicious. I'd rather he test with another MA2 setup or another Android device to better isolate the problem. Could also be unique to his Android device.

Can’t see where he says it’s intermittent? Maybe OP can confirm? If it is then I would test it some more via an iPhone. If it isn’t then the issue is related to his phone.

OP - have you tested it on another android device?

Can’t see where he says it’s intermittent? Maybe OP can confirm? If it is then I would test it some more via an iPhone. If it isn’t then the issue is related to his phone.

OP - have you tested it on another android device?
"So, it appears everything to be properly connected and functioning; until, maybe 2-3 seconds after controller and mobile device connect, the connection is lost."
That is intermittent to me. Works properly, then doesn't.

My mobile device is a Samsung S9
The S9 comes in two versions, one with an Exynos processor and others with a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.
There is a known problem running DJI Fly on Exynos processors.

Reactions: mswlogo
"So, it appears everything to be properly connected and functioning; until, maybe 2-3 seconds after controller and mobile device connect, the connection is lost."
That is intermittent to me. Works properly, then doesn't.

I get where you’re coming from. I thought you meant intermittent as in it works fine sometime but not others.

I still feel it’s a consistent issue as it always ends with the same result.

Definitely requires some more testing as we’ve suggested.

The S9 comes in two versions, one with an Exynos processor and others with a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.

This could be it which is why it works for only 2-3 seconds suggesting some sort of processing issue.

Good point but could it be something as simple as a bad cable

What I think is happening is that there is some incompatibility between the android mobile device and the RC. This is a processing/logic error, not a component connection fault. I think the incompatibility shows up several seconds into the startup handshake/linking process. For instance, there is some check, flight data transfer, something not flight critical (since I get a flight approval message before disconnect) that occurs a couple seconds into startup, that is causing the disconnect. Note: the aircraft flys fine without the mobile device.

The two different processors idea is interesting. I have an S9 (not an S9+), I see nothing in settings/about to tell me what processor is present. How do I determine which processor is in my S9? I see no way to pull the back off to see what is inside?! If it is processor related, it seems to me DJI should be aware of the problem, and issue an appropriate alert, and/or make a programming change to eliminate the problem.

As to 'intermittent'; as I use the word there is nothing intermittent about it. The android works for a short interval after which it consistently disconnects. No change in the sequence of powering on devices, starting the DJI Fly app, plugging/unplugging cables has any effect on the dis-connection between android and RC. Simply unplugging and replugging the cable re-initiates the sequence. That I somehow got lucky, and tried the IPhone the only time an intermittent problem in the RC did not occur seems extremely unlikely.

Simplest test is to swap the usb-c cable. Since he is swapping cables to use IPhone. I also suspect it could be the exynos processor(nothing but trouble).

My S9 is Snapdragon 845 determined by using te CPU-Z app. So, not the problematic Exynos processor.

Could it be the cable? I'll try connecting the cable in all 8 possible positions and see if problem is consistent..

My S9 is Snapdragon 845 determined by using te CPU-Z app. So, not the problematic Exynos processor.

Could it be the cable? I'll try connecting the cable in all 8 possible positions and see if problem is consistent..
Have you run through this checklist (particularly #2)

Cable test result: I'm very surprised by result. Briefly, the system works only with one end of cable plugged into the RC and only with the plug oriented so the cable in the RC extends to the west/left side of the RC. Clearly, I have a cable problem. I bought the unit from Best Buy. Should I contact Best Buy or DJI customer service about getting the cable replaced?

Details:

One end of cable has a white label. None of the 4 connection possibilities work with the white label end of the cable plugged into the mobile device.

Plugging the white end of the cable into the RC with the cable coming out the east/right side also fails regardless of the plug position in the S9.

However, with the white end of the cable plugged into the RC with the cable protruding west/left, the RC connection is maintained regardless of which way the cable is plugged into the RC.

Frankly, I don't see how this could be the case. Ah, further testing shows that with the cable in the position that maintains the RC-Mobile Device connection that the Map doesn't work, but reversing the connect in the phone has the map working - well, not quite, it won't expand and contract the mapbox.

try new cable, if that's the issue for me I wouldnt return unless they have one in stock to replace

Maybe you have the same problem as i do. I had a huawei that worked perfectly. It broke, so ive used my girlfriends old phone, a (also) huawei p smart. No biggie's at first. Later on i connected it but it kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Tried another cable, same result. Connected my old huawei, and presto, problem gone.

Turns out that my newer huawei has a bug. If the battery is lower then 52%, this problem occurs.

If anything above 52%, there is 0 issues.

And to add to the confusion, if below 52% and i lay the rc and phone flat, it stays connected. If i tilt it, it starts to reconnect lol!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag