DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Angry neighbor

nhmavic

Reactions
Noob here...

Had my first run-in with a neighbor who apparently isn't a fan of drones. He followed my mavic back to my house, got out of his van and confronted me. He told me he didn't want me flying over his property. I asked him where he lives but he just told me the street name. He told me if I fly over his property he'll shoot it down. I told him if he did he'll have the police at his door.

I drove down his road and saw his van. He's only a street away so I've probably flown over him several times, always 250-400 ft.

Question is, should I go to the police to let them know about the threat to shoot it down? Not to press charges or anything - just to document the threat in case he either carries out his threat or visits my house again in the future now that he knows where I live. He lives close enough that it would be hard to fly in the area and not go over or near his property.

Any similar experiences out there?

Noob here...

Had my first run-in with a neighbor who apparently isn't a fan of drones. He followed my mavic back to my house, got out of his van and confronted me. He told me he didn't want me flying over his property. I asked him where he lives but he just told me the street name. He told me if I fly over his property he'll shoot it down. I told him if he did he'll have the police at his door.

I drove down his road and saw his van. He's only a street away so I've probably flown over him several times, always 250-400 ft.

Question is, should I go to the police to let them know about the threat to shoot it down? Not to press charges or anything - just to document the threat in case he either carries out his threat or visits my house again in the future now that he knows where I live. He lives close enough that it would be hard to fly in the area and not go over or near his property.

I'd avoid flying over his house since if he's crazy enough to shoot down your drone then he might also be crazy enough to show up at your doorstep with a gun. There are a lot of people out there that think drones are an invasion of their privacy & are willing to take matters into their own hands. Police can't stop crazy.

Thanks jeepdsl. Wasn't really questioning the legality - just wondering if it makes sense to mention the confrontation to the police in case of future issues.

I live in NH. There's a bill in the state legislature that proposes a minimum altitude of 250' over private property but nothing that's been passed.
I realize you weren't questioning the legality, but the other thread has lots of discussion about how to handle situations like yours. Plus, as soon as you involve the police, it becomes a matter of legality.

Your height sounds good as long as you aren't hovering over his property. I take my bird up to 90 meters before I get to a clearing. Worst case scenario just fly over the roadways and always keep it VLOS. [emoji846]

Reactions: nhmavic
Noob here...

I don't blame him for not wanting you flying over his house, especially if his yard is fenced which would give him a reasonable expectation of privacy. However, he totally went the wrong way about it. He should have politely asked you not to fly over his house. You are dealing with a hothead on a short fuse.
Avoid flying over his home. Make sure your other neighbors don't have a problem with you flying over theirs. Don't fan the flames. Petty things like this between neighbors can escalate into terrible situations.

that sucks..... Some people are Hypersensitive to drones
and your not going to change there mind anytime soon
you might want to change your Flying behavior Higher not in that Area and Not when most are Home

Reactions: nhmavic

Yes absolutely sure. And you can definitely hear the mavic at that height. Appreciate the other suggestions though.

Yes. Cold blooded murder. Always a fix for life's little disturbances!

I've found that no matter what you do in life, no matter how benign, it's going to bug the crap out of around 1% of people. Even Mother Teresa has/had haters (seriously, Google it...). My philosophy is: you can be as mad at me as you want, and if I care, I'll let you know. Otherwise, hey: free country...

I would LOVE to have someone shoot my drone down. Not only would it be 10000% illegal, but the amount of "emotional distress" and "PTSD" I would suffer would be, well... priceless.

So nah, no need to kill anyone: If someone is breaking the law in the process of annoying me: I'll call the cops, otherwise, I respect their right to be just as annoying as I am (within the law, of course ;-)). And if it annoys me enough and there isn't a law, I would work to enact one, or move on.

But if someone is insane enough to go ballistic (literally) over a drone, especially one that's flying hundreds of feet over their property, without even approaching me in a non-confrontational and polite way first... I don't want or need them as a friend. I won't be "bringing them a six pack" if their initial reaction is to threaten to shoot my drone after following me home lol... If I needed friends like that, I'd head to the nearest prison and wait with a sign that said "Hate Drones?" as they release people. New friend! Right???

A big part of the noise has to do with the winds at the MP's altitude. If it's perfectly calm, it'll be whisper quiet from 400'. But if you're in sport mode and/or make positional changes, or if the MP has to counter strong winds, the increased rpm and cavitation (?) will make even hard-of-hearing people look up.

Fly it over hope he is a good shot. Then after that show the police and show then some guy is shooting in the air and putting people on the ground at risk. Not only for the drone falling and throng something but the bullets that are raining down.

Then have him walk off his property, punch him dead in the chin while the mavic is recording.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22