DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying IMU calibration.

Anyone else consider the IMU cal annoying?

At the end, when the device restarts... It's still folded.

Hasn't caused any issues, just a personal thing I guess.
Sorry, don’t understand “its still folded”?

Sorry, don’t understand “its still folded”?
IMU cal requires the aircraft be folded up (arms in) then rotated until all sides have zeroed out.

For example, after folding in the arms, I have to put it flat on it's belly, then rotate by 90° and repeat for all sides and the back.

Immediately after the back finishes (the drone looks like a rocket, ready for take off), while the drone is still folded, it restarts. I have no time to open the legs before it does.

IMU cal requires the aircraft be folded up (arms in) then rotated until all sides have zeroed out.

For example, after folding in the arms, I have to put it flat on it's belly, then rotate by 90° and repeat for all sides and the back.

Immediately after the back finishes (the drone looks like a rocket, ready for take off), while the drone is still folded, it restarts. I have no time to open the legs before it does.
So why is that a problem, i'm not quite follow you ... if the advised sequence is to do the calibration with arms folded, why should you hurry to fold them out in the end.

Besides that, IMU calibrations are rarely required, it's absolutely nothing you should do on a regular basis, if you do I can understand the annoyance. If requested through the app (should be very rare...) or if you think the AC isn't as steady as usual in hovering & slightly drifting in one direction would be 2 valid occasions. Think I've calibrated my MA1's IMU once in a year so if you feel it's a hassle you should be able to manage those few occasions it's really needed.

So why is that a problem, i'm not quite follow you ... if the advised sequence is to do the calibration with arms folded, why should you hurry to fold them out in the end.

Besides that, IMU calibrations are rarely required, it's absolutely nothing you should do on a regular basis, if you do I can understand the annoyance. If requested through the app (should be very rare...) or if you think the AC isn't as steady as usual in hovering & slightly drifting in one direction would be 2 valid occasions. Think I've calibrated my MA1's IMU once in a year so if you feel it's a hassle you should be able to manage those few occasions it's really needed.
I have not calibrated the IMU since I got the MA2, but because I was getting some awkward drifting I decided it would be prudent.

I guess I just wish they would pause and say, "now open the arms", then give you 10 seconds before restart

I remember reading somewhere - was it in the manual? - that you're always supposed to have the gimbal cover removed and the arms extended before starting the drone, so yes I agree it's annoying

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Anyone else consider the IMU cal annoying?

At the end, when the device restarts... It's still folded.

Hasn't caused any issues, just a personal thing I guess.
This has irked the crap outta me as well because other models imu process doesn't do this. It's especially worse, and potentially damaging since the official instructions show to leave props on. It pains me to watch it boot up, turn the motors slightly and put itself in a bind because the props hit and lock up the motors. Simply bad engineering. Personally it would make me feel better to do the imu with props off, but could end up a bad calibration if it's expecting level to be measured with the props on.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0