DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another cameraman

murra

Reactions
OK here is another feature I'm googling without success: I'd like to make the camera controlled by a second phone, instead of the main connected with the commands. Here is why. Sometimes I'd like to focus on flying, while I'd prefer another man choosing the camera movements. Is this possibile with MA2?

Something like this Drone Director App - Automatic Flight modes for DJI Drones (AFAIK is not compatible with this drone yet :mad: )

Any other solution?

I don’t have an Air 2 but can fly my M2P using two controllers to do what you want, don't know if you can do this with the Air 2 but I asume you would have to use two controllers not just a second phone.

I don’t have an Air 2 but can fly my M2P using two controllers to do what you want, don't know if you can do this with the Air 2 but I asume you would have to use two controllers not just a second phone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a master and a slave controllers are set, doesn't the master take over the control? I think using two controllers was designed for learning: so the teacher can overtake the drone in case of the student loses control.

I tested it out the other day with my son who is a photographer but never flown a drone.
Yes the master will take over if necessary.
I flew to the approximate position for his shots but let him take over using the secondary controller to do final framing & take his pictures.
We didn't get round to testing me flying & him controlling the camera at the same time as we could see that leading to confusion but it is possible.
I posted the result HERE

Thanks. So in theory, when a master controller is flying, the slave one can still use the camera for videos without interrupting flying control?
Right now I don't have a second controller to test it. Let's hope someone with MA2 answers.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
It was raven swe who pointed the possibility out to me he says “your son can also control the camera , ie, you fly with one controller and your son can play with the video and snapshots on the second controller, the only thing the slave controller cant do is change settings “

On the mavic 2 we regularly use 2 controllers. One for flying and one for the video monitoring. Take the joysticks off the secondary controller.

The Mavic Air 2 doesn't support dual controllers. DJI seems to limit that to their "pro" level drones.

That's very very bad!
Since this should be something related to software/firmware, DJI chose to block the feature on purpose to limit the potential of its MA2 drone. And this seems to me a very stupid initiative with lack of prospective.
I'm very disappointed. Is there any chance they'll release a firmware upgrade implementing second controller?

That's very very bad!
Since this should be something related to software/firmware, DJI chose to block the feature on purpose to limit the potential of its MA2 drone. And this seems to me a very stupid initiative with lack of prospective.
I'm very disappointed. Is there any chance they'll release a firmware upgrade implementing second controller?

I doubt it. There are other "software" features that are limited to the "pro" series as well, like full waypoint support, D-Log profile, dynamic homepoints, etc.

That's very very bad!

Nothing bad about it. This is normal business practice. You create a product with specific features for the intended market. The Pro series machines are intended for Pro/Semi-Pro use, the Inspires for hi-end Professional use, the Air2 for the consumer market. It already has features well above its price point.

Would you expect to have the same features of a professional DSLR camera in a camera half the price?

Reactions: Ace.7 and dawgpilot
I would agree if this would need some extra work and cost for the producer. But DJI already have the funcion aviable in their software for other products which carry very similar firmware (they don't write two firmware for similar product, they use same basis). So it's not about money since this is not a cost for DJI enabling it.
It's not hardware modification it's just putting a 1 instead of a 0, like you see in firmware hack for enabling ATTI mode for other Mavic products.
Ah and BTW, same thing why the hell they don't allow people to chose ATTI mode manually???? Another stupid move in my opinion.

Developing products is an extremely expensive process not just in the physical cost of hardware but R&D, developing for manufacture, sourcing components, inventory, wages, financing, insurance, business taxes, marketing, packaging, shipping, sales, warranties.

Then there is the competition that they need to keep up with and ideally exceed.

Marketing types work with sales looking for niche markets to gain a wider share and DJI does that just like every other successful business in the world. They decide what the new product, or next version, will offer and what they recommend it sells for. That is purely the way business operates and it does that for one reason and one reason only - to make money for the shareholders.

If you think DJI are stupid then take your business elsewhere, it’s entirely your choice.

Reactions: Ace.7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007