DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another close call ,Helicopter magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGA

Reactions
Flying high , way past the recommended limit thankfully as yet another low flying helicopter zips by at around 400 feet. The Governor of New York no less . 15 min later it passes over me as I am only at 200 feet. Got video for proof on my return home. (Correction; I was not flying above recommend 400 feet I was flying around 50 feet above tree top ascending up the mountain. 1000 feet above my location when the helo passed between me and my UAV roughly 400 feet following the road pattern. Second flight you will see I am at tree top level when the same Helo passed above my location roughly 450 feet. Mountain trans versing aircraft can be harder to hear due to the mountains.

Last edited:
Flying high , way past the recommended limit thankfully as yet another low flying helicopter zips by at around 400 feet. The Governor of New York no less . 15 min later it passes over me as I am only at 200 feet. Got video for proof on my return home.

The “recommended limit” isn’t a recommendation. Also, I’m not sure what your point is.

How did you know if they're flying 400' vs 500'? Humans suck at judging altitude by naked eye.

Also, regarding FAR91: Other aircraft, such as helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft, are not required to meet the FAR 91 minimums, so long as their operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Unless the drone is comes in from the top, i dont see how it can withstand the prop wash of the main rotor..waiting for a large helicopter to land, a Marine Pilot blew an entire platoon on Marines over like dominos. I was one of those dominoes.

Reactions: offtheback
Flying high , way past the recommended limit thankfully as yet another low flying helicopter zips by at around 400 feet. The Governor of New York no less . 15 min later it passes over me as I am only at 200 feet. Got video for proof on my return home.

Thankfully the helo was at ~400, or else if they were at whatever "way higher than the law allows" was for you, it could have been a disaster.

If you were at 200 AGL over ~120 ft. trees and a helo tour came by low and fast at 200 AGL buzzing the tree line for the third time this month, you could claim to be a helo magnet.

it could have been a disaster.

To be fair, the odds of that "disaster" happening even when an aircraft slams into a consumer level UAS are slim to none, 99.99% of those RARE situations result in a smashed UAS and a barely dinged aircraft. Yes, there are always one offs, but we have more issues with bird flocks than people's UAS' in the air.

To be fair, the odds of that "disaster" happening even when an aircraft slams into a consumer level UAS are slim to none, 99.99% of those RARE situations result in a smashed UAS and a barely dinged aircraft. Yes, there are always one offs, but we have more issues with bird flocks than people's UAS' in the air.

Are you familiar with what “dings” in aircraft cost?

Good to know . I forget my mavic air is like a fly against a window .I get mad because they think they own the sky zipping around in a 2 ton aircraft

Are you familiar with what “dings” in aircraft cost?

Extremely familiar; my job has me flying at low altitudes all the time in a twin engine turbo prop which has resulted in many, many, bird strikes. Pelicans, buzzards, flocks of migrating birds, happens more often than you think. Wish it didn't because I feel bad for the birds but on most occasions I didn't even know it happened until after the landing and I see the body parts and blood all over the air frame.

Your post suggests you were surprised to see the helicopter at that height.
But given the rules for flying helicopters, you shouldn't be surprised.
§ 135.203 VFR: Minimum altitudes.
Except when necessary for takeoff and landing, no person may operate under VFR—
(a) An airplane—
(1) During the day, below 500 feet above the surface or less than 500 feet horizontally from any obstacle; or
(2) At night, at an altitude less than 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown or, in designated mountainous terrain, less than 2,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown; or
(b) A helicopter over a congested area at an altitude less than 300 feet above the surface.
Helicopters
Helicopters, unless they are flying under FAA Part 135 (carrying passengers commercially) has no minimum altitude under FAA Part 91. Even under FAA Part 135 the minimum altitude is 300' AGL.
FAR 91.119 (d) states Helicopters If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface - (1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

Your post suggests you were surprised to see the helicopter at that height.
But given the rules for flying helicopters, you shouldn't be surprised.
§ 135.203 VFR: Minimum altitudes.
Except when necessary for takeoff and landing, no person may operate under VFR—
(a) An airplane—
(1) During the day, below 500 feet above the surface or less than 500 feet horizontally from any obstacle; or
(2) At night, at an altitude less than 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown or, in designated mountainous terrain, less than 2,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown; or
(b) A helicopter over a congested area at an altitude less than 300 feet above the surface.
Helicopters
Helicopters, unless they are flying under FAA Part 135 (carrying passengers commercially) has no minimum altitude under FAA Part 91. Even under FAA Part 135 the minimum altitude is 300' AGL.
FAR 91.119 (d) states Helicopters If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface - (1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

Beat ya to it, post 4. ?

Reactions: MAGA
Had to suspend my flight operations yesterday as a biplane crop duster suprised me.

He was just above tree level (80-90') while I was flying at about 200' and 500' away (VLOS). By the time I heard his engine, processed the fact he was coming in my direction and turned my M2 around, he was on me. Scary, as I froze not knowing whether to dive, climb or which way to go. The trees hid his direction of approach from me until the last moment.

He passed about 100 yards from the M2 and I was able to RTH before he made his next pass. Even while legally and cautiously flying, I could easily have struck his plane. ?

Reactions: MAGA and dirkclod
We have lots of those here and are where I fly a lot .
They mostly dust in certain times of the year so am aware
they might be around and have had them slip up on me.
Here everyone knows about everyone so normally if its
Around that time of year for them I just call the farmer and ask him if one is going to be over their fields that day.
Love watching them though as they are unreal pilots.

Reactions: dirkclod
Unless the drone is comes in from the top, i dont see how it can withstand the prop wash of the main rotor..waiting for a large helicopter to land, a Marine Pilot blew an entire platoon on Marines over like dominos. I was one of those dominoes.
They used to tell us 110 knots of rotor wash @ idle for a CH-53E Super Stallion onboard USS JFK. This is why we had to close all aircraft access panels and canopies when these behemoths were inbound. Of course, I doubt the Gov was on a 53. Maybe an Agusta, but a low flying 53 could easily scatter a platoon of hardened "Devil Dogs". LOL

Reactions: MAGA
I just wanna see the video!!!

If ya cant see/hear a Helicopter in near vicinity to your drone and take immediate actions to relocate you prob deserve to loose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji