DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

another enquiry on filters for the Mini 2

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
First of all, sorry for posting another thread on filters. There are a lot in this forum already and I spent hours to read them and look at YouTube videos, but as it often goes the more you read the more difficult becomes the definitive choice you make ;)
As I am looking for some filters for my Mini 2, I came across a bunch of brands and prices. Sunnylife, 50CAL, Tiffen, Pgytech, Hensych, Skyreat, Freewell and the list goes on and on ... So I want to ask your opinion which set is best quality/price combination. As I see that e.g. the Sunnylife set is a lot cheaper that e.g. a smaller Tiffen set, I wonder if the difference in price reflects difference in quality and I prefer spending a bit more money instead of getting more filters but with lesser quality.
They would be used for video and photography mostly when it is too sunny to avoid over-exposure.
8 filters (Sunnylife) for less than 25$ at Sunnylife ND4 / ND8 / ND16 / ND32 / CPL / MCUV / ND4 / PL / ND8 / PL / ND16 / PL / ND32 / PL Filterset Lens Filter voor DJI Mavic mini / Mavic mini 2 RC Drone and 6 filters (Tiffen) for about 80* at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MItYDS5YPg7gIVSOuyCh1a5QWFEAQYAyABEgJGdPD_BwE must differ somehow, or am I wrong?
Thanks for giving me tips, your experiences, etc.

Last edited:
First of all, sorry for posting another thread on filters. There are a lot in this forum already and I spent hours to read them and look at YouTube videos, but as it often goes the more you read the more difficult becomes the definitive choice you make ;)
As I am looking for some filters for my Mini 2, I came across a bunch of brands and prices. Sunnylife, 50CAL, Tiffen, Pgytech, Hensych, Skyreat, Freewell and the list goes on and on ... So I want to ask your opinion which set is best quality/price combination. As I see that e.g. the Sunnylife set is a lot cheaper that e.g. a smaller Tiffen set, I wonder if the difference in price reflects difference in quality and I prefer spending a bit more money instead of getting more filters but with lesser quality.
They would be used for video and photography mostly when it is too sunny to avoid over-exposure.
8 filters (Sunnylife) for less than 25$ at Sunnylife ND4 / ND8 / ND16 / ND32 / CPL / MCUV / ND4 / PL / ND8 / PL / ND16 / PL / ND32 / PL Filterset Lens Filter voor DJI Mavic mini / Mavic mini 2 RC Drone and 6 filters (Tiffen) for about 80* at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MItYDS5YPg7gIVSOuyCh1a5QWFEAQYAyABEgJGdPD_BwE must differ somehow, or am I wrong?
Thanks for giving me tips, your experiences, etc.
In general I say you get what you pay for but I do have the Sunnylife ND Filters and CPL filter.... they have been working fine with no real issues. I would worry about the ND/PL filters a little bit because they have to be aligned perfectly to work properly.... but I do not own them so I can't comment.

There is no reason to use ND filters for stills from a drone unless you have a particular reason to want to force a slower shutter speed than otherwise available.
In still drone photography, you don't use ND filters to get the correct exposure in sunny conditions.
Your shutter goes up to 1/8000th of a second which will give you all the exposure control you'll ever need.

Reactions: tibzee
We use the Tiffen set. Tiffen have an 80-year track record with photographers.

Our preference is to use ND/PL filters.

Reactions: KrowNB
Thanks for responding! The quick reaction is what makes this forum so great! I have not decided yet, but now I have some first-hand information on this matter.

Thanks for the info, crash1414! I am still deciding, so this is a very useful tip! Can you provide me with the link to be sure I am looking at the right ones at amazon? It look to be a 5 filter set in your photo but I only find 4 or 6 packs. And I always buy from amazon.de since that reduces shipping costs considerably ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronny St.
I have a 4 - pack of Freewell ND filters for my Mini 2. No doubt that the filters themselves are excellent but they cause noticeable vibration in the video footage for much of the time - to the point that I have no confidence in using them. Although very lightweight I suspect that they do affect the also very lightweight gimbal.

I come from years of experience with a Mavic Pro on which I used ND filters as needed all the time without any issues ever.

Hi there I was wondering what filters I would need for a DJI mavic mini 2 when filming on the beach over sea and snow and everyday filming over fields would I need nd filters or nd/pl or a cpl or all of them.

Thank you

Hi there I was wondering what filters I would need for a DJI mavic mini 2 when filming on the beach over sea and snow and everyday filming over fields would I need nd filters or nd/pl or a cpl or all of them.

Thank you
No-one needs ND filters, but many fliers choose to use them because they like the effect they give (or think they like the effect).
For a lot of videoing, it makes no difference to the look of the video.
Learn more about why some people use them and see if that would make a significant improvement to your videos.

No-one needs ND filters, but many fliers choose to use them because they like the effect they give (or think they like the effect).
For a lot of videoing, it makes no difference to the look of the video.
Learn more about why some people use them and see if that would make a significant improvement to your videos.
Ok thank you it’s because it brings the shutter speed down I think so you can get motion blur but would it be better to get straight nd filters or nd/pl filter

Ok thank you it’s because it brings the shutter speed down I think so you can get motion blur but would it be better to get straight nd filters or nd/pl filter
It would be better to decide whether motion blur makes any difference to your videos.
Don't just assume you need it because someone on a forum said you do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S