DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another goof flies close to planes

Nungesser

Reactions
First of all, I know the goof personally, and he's everything but.

As a mentor, pro dronnie, pilot and airport manager, he knows a thing or two about security and safety of operations. It was thus under his responsibility that our small local team of friends decided to showcase the beauty of flying in the southern french alps to the community (in the hopes of bringing you here for a flight, haha!).

The 4K Phantom having last-minute problems, the Mavic Mini was whipped out instead... All fears were gone when we saw that the footage wasn't actually that bad!

But before showing it to you, here's the warning:

ATT: AMATEURS, DO NOT REPRODUCE

This clip was entirely coordinated and shot by pros, all necessary authorisations were had, all EASA 947/945 and DGAC (l'arreté "Espace" du 17 decembre 2015) regulations were met. Extensive briefing - as well as code words for emergency situations - were put into place and rehearsed several times. Emergency/rescue personnel and equipment (including a helicopter) were on standby, all personnel involved were equipped with VHF radios, are aircraft pilots and know the area well. Do not try this at home, lives are at stake, you can risk our drone-flying hobby as well if drones are blatantly flown onto airports or controlled airspace without permission!!! For the people that haven't yet understood and are still itching to report us, go ahead, we've got all the papers.

That being out of the way (ooof), enjoy the clip :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers,
Nungesser.

Last edited:
What went wrong with the Phantom 4. Seems like a lot of work just to film with a mini.

What went wrong with the Phantom 4. Seems like a lot of work just to film with a mini.
The batteries had time to cool off and were discharging too fast to assure continuous reliability. It was too much of a risk to continue operating it.

We were in freezing temps, we all showed up before sunset, briefed quickly inside while equipment lay outside - which was a mistake... The mini (and controller, spare batteries) kept its temp because it was in my pockets!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
The batteries had time to cool off and were discharging too fast to assure continuous reliability. It was too much of a risk to continue operating it.

We were in freezing temps, we all showed up before sunset, briefed quickly inside while equipment lay outside - which was a mistake... The mini (and controller, spare batteries) kept its temp because it was in my pockets!
Loved it!

I'm surprised that the camera's rolling shutter didn't make the plane's propeller blades look curved.