DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another interference question

wxperson

Reactions
In my suburban Atlanta area when I get out about 2000' or so ... I start to get the blinking signal and HD icons which I understand is interference.

My question....

Is this giving me an indication of interference at...

A. Near the controller location... and as the mavic-controller-mavic signal goes down... I start to see the blinking?

or

B. Near the Mavic location... i.e. wifi signals near the bird?

or

C. The total amount of interference between the controller and the Mavic?

or

D. something else... and I just am not understanding this at all :).

Thanks for any information you can provide.

George

Do you have a line of sight on the drone when you are having signal loss? If you're Suburban Atlanta neighborhood is like mine, it's surrounded by 150' pine trees in almost every direction. 2000' is about what I can expect without the video cutting out.

I've flown in areas like Lake Acworth with wide open areas and have gone over 7000' away.

Do you have a line of sight on the drone when you are having signal loss? If you're Suburban Atlanta neighborhood is like mine, it's surrounded by 150' pine trees in almost every direction. 2000' is about what I can expect without the video cutting out.

I've flown in areas like Lake Acworth with wide open areas and have gone over 7000' away.

I am in East Cobb near Johnson Ferry and the river... so while I some small breaks in the tree line... it is probably similar to your situation.

Do you have any idea of the answer to my initial question?

I am in East Cobb near Johnson Ferry and the river... so while I some small breaks in the tree line... it is probably similar to your situation.

My understanding is that it it is interference between the controller and the bird, physical objects can effect this as well as all the WiFi signals that are in the area. I'm no expert though.

I've flown at Terrell Mill Park and got distances over 5k, having a clear line of sight between the controller and the bird seems to have a huge impact on distance.

I'll have to go to terrell mill and give it a go.... I am only about 5 minutes from there

Hi again.. where do you go when you fly near Lake Acworth? I understand GA state parks are a no fly area.

Hi again.. where do you go when you fly near Lake Acworth? I understand GA state parks are a no fly area.

I have flown right near Cauble Beach, I don't believe that area is considered State Park but I may incorrect. I haven't had anyone tell me not to fly, but i try and go earlier in the morning on the weekend before most people get there.

ok.. i see. looks like several parks around there that border the lake... thanks.

C. Most likley trees,and buildings.I have the same problem flying in town,but out in the open country,I can get much farther without any signal loss.

My experience is about the same... 2000 feet or so around my home in Dallas. I flew last week around Town Center Mall. Took off from the Costco parking lot which is near the top a very nice hill overlooking the north. You should notify McCollum airport tower and watch because some of the planes fly over VERY low. But I got 5000+ feet distance with little effort. Kept it around 200 to 380 feet high.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
My experience is about the same... 2000 feet or so around my home in Dallas. I flew last week around Town Center Mall. Took off from the Costco parking lot which is near the top a very nice hill overlooking the north. You should notify McCollum airport tower and watch because some of the planes fly over VERY low. But I got 5000+ feet distance with little effort. Kept it around 200 to 380 feet high.
Yes,lifting off from a elevated area is always a good idea,as it helps your signal path clear objects between the Mavic and controller. We have a location that we fly from a lot,and it is a low area,basically a hole,below everything around us,and the range is effected greatly. At another location (in the country) we fly off a hill and easily get 10-13 thousand feet out with just 1 bar disappearing on the signal/live feed display.

You may want to look at a mod to boost your penetration if you will be flying from that location a lot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore