DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another loony ultra-high altitude drone "near miss"

gnirtS

Reactions
Landing plane had near miss with drone

A drone flying more than 20 times the allowed height came within 15m (50ft) of a Boeing 737 approaching a runway at Stansted Airport in Essex.
The plane was flying at 10,000ft (3km) and coming in to land on 17 August when the captain spotted the drone.
The first officer then saw "a dark-coloured square or rectangle-shaped object pass down the right side of the aircraft with minimal separation".
The UK Airprox Board rated the risk of collision as the highest possible.

So, a drone flying at FL100. Yeah sure. Of course it is.
Naturally AirProx accepts this unquestionably so this goes down as yet another "drone near miss" regardless of the physical impossibilities.

Reactions: JDawg
It's almost like the investigators and reporters have some kind of agenda.
The obvious question is what kind of 'drone' resembles a box.
Perhaps they lost their sandwiches.

Reactions: Aumoe
Reactions: GavieboyDji
I think they’ve run out of news, this happened in August and now all of a sudden it’s in the news. Not good flying that high though, it’s just going to push for tougher regulations.

Reactions: old man mavic
Multiple threads with the Same story ? -
PLEASE GUYS !

Please Note: hit by DRONE? are you sure
This has NOT BEEN Confirmed !!!!!!

In the Link above... it says ...
Unconfirmed reports indicate the aircraft may have hit a drone

Its Not a Drone - Unless proven to be one-
Maybe a Bird, a Plane, Maybe Superman !

Some say at 3000 ft, some say FL 10 (10,000 ft) like 3km???
UNLIKELY !!!!

- … But where is the Proof of DRONE?????

PLEASE GUYS !

UNLIKELY !!!!

This is a different fake incident ;)

Reactions: Rogerogborn
ou
PLEASE GUYS !

UNLIKELY !!!!

It would help if you actually bothered reading. Then youd find its not the same incident, is not a duplicate thread and is an official incident report.
But don't let the facts get in the way of your copy/paste.

Reactions: BigAl07
Why do people here boast about the height or distance that they have achieved flying their drones, most are well and truly out of line of sight, so I gather illegal. It all seems to be about bragging rights with no useful purpose resulting in more restrictions imposed. Fly your drone, take wonderful photos/videos have fun, but don't ruin it for the rest with blatant stupidity!

Landing plane had near miss with drone

So, a drone flying at FL100. Yeah sure. Of course it is.
Naturally AirProx accepts this unquestionably so this goes down as yet another "drone near miss" regardless of the physical impossibilities.
From the description of the object, this was more likely to be a radar reflector or transmitter pack that Meteorologists attach to weather balloons. Reflectors are sometimes made of 3 interlocking disks, or can be made from 3 interlocking squares ... When the balloon reaches max height and bursts the reflector (and transmitter box) fall with a small parachute - usually on a long cord. It's just as possible that the pilot of this aircraft saw one of those go by.

Reactions: sar104
Why do people here boast about the height or distance that they have achieved flying their drones, most are well and truly out of line of sight, so I gather illegal. It all seems to be about bragging rights with no useful purpose resulting in more restrictions imposed. Fly your drone, take wonderful photos/videos have fun, but don't ruin it for the rest with blatant stupidity!

Mine were all within LOS.

My Tarot has flown at 13,000 feet, my F550 at 12,000. I have yet to get the M2Z higher than 1000, but I'll get there.

The point being 10k is not uncommon.

We're talking height above ground level here not absolute height above sea level. Neer heard of either of those drones getting anywhere near 13,000+ft above takeoff point.

Reactions: JDawg and Dolph
We're talking height above ground level here not absolute height above sea level. Neer heard of either of those drones getting anywhere near 13,000+ft above takeoff point.
Exactly.

Could a drone even get that high and still have anything in the batt to turn the props?
Forget about landing. It would fall out out of the sky dead first.
I call this a FAKE anti drone report.
How fast was this plane flying? Could the pilot even see a drone going that fast?
If it was a drone close up it would pass by very fast. If a drone was mikes away the pilot would just not have seen it.
Anything on ground radar? Any photos, videos?
No proff so I say a lie.

This is one of several 'high-altitude' drone flight video's ... This drone was flown to 2,500 metres (8,200 ft) over the Greek Island of Milos. It returned to earth with 30% battery remaining.
I don't support this at all - but you have to admit, the view at the top is stunning! Feedback comments are predictable with most telling him how stupid he was ...

Reactions: Clancy Magee
I would not say “stupid”
But careless, reckless. Both come to mind.
Good to know how high and far these can go. But should only be done in places that have a zero coach of hitting someone if a oops happens.
Peps doing this is why there is so much anti drone talk out there.
Just do in a safe place. Aka NO air traffic. NO peps around at ground level.

Could a drone even get that high and still have anything in the batt to turn the props?
Forget about landing. It would fall out out of the sky dead first.
Watch this (not a Mavic, but a modded FPV racing drone climbs to 10 km / 32.808 ft somewhere in Russia):

I would not say “stupid”
But careless, reckless. Both come to mind.
Good to know how high and far these can go. But should only be done in places that have a zero coach of hitting someone if a oops happens.
Peps doing this is why there is so much anti drone talk out there.
Just do in a safe place. Aka NO air traffic. NO peps around at ground level.
Problem is, it doesn't matter how safe or out of the way it was ... it's vid's like these that are used by the anti-Drone lobby to restrict our flying to 1 square mile in the middle of the Gobi Desert!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143