DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"another" probably dumb question from a new Classic owner.....

Whisky

Reactions
reference SD Cards/slots - 1st flights today and installed a micro sd card into the slot above the Drone's battery - question is, "what is purpose of the sd slot on the RC Controller ?..................thank you, Bill

reference SD Cards/slots - 1st flights today and installed a micro sd card into the slot above the Drone's battery - question is, "what is purpose of the sd slot on the RC Controller ?..................thank you, Bill
Nothing important .. the one that matters is the one in the drone.

Reactions: Starz

It is my understanding that the SD card in the controller will be used for 2 things:
  1. Screen recordings taken on the controller
  2. A copy of the video from the drone is cached on the card when the "Cache when recording" option is turned on in the DJI Fly app. This video can be used if you lose the drone - it won't be as good quality as what is on the drone's SD card but it is better than nothing.

thank you.....so, is there a card already installed in the controller ? I couldn't tell and there's no getting one into the slot.....hmmmmm.....Bill

thank you.....so, is there a card already installed in the controller ? I couldn't tell and there's no getting one into the slot.....hmmmmm.....Bill
The controller does not come with a card. You should be able to insert a card into the slot underneath the little door on the bottom of the controller. I've found both the drone and the controller to be a little stiff the first few times you insert a card.

All true as above. The resulting video will be a in the small hundred of MB as opposed to 2-3GB file for a longer high res flight. It's only real purpose is for easy low res sharing of the screen and or documentation after an accident or some such thing. Most folks completely ignore its' use if any of my friends are "most folks".

thank you, I've found that inserting a card into the Drone is the opposite way of inserting as the Autel EVO - the contacts are on the "up-side" (vs being down for the EVO) - and an attempt to insert a card into the controller never did get accomplished (I didn't want to screw-up the card nor the controller) - so I think I'll just "go without a card in the controller).....Bill

WAIT WAIT
You forgot an important reason to have a sad card in your controller.
WHEN YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THE DRONE SD CARD OR IT GETS FULL 😂😂😂 It’s a great back up 😂

Reactions: WV. Rootman