DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna

Luuuuuuke

Reactions
Using the RE Goggles with a Mavic 2 and keep getting signal dropouts at no more than 300m distance.

Should I be using the additional antenna that screws in the top?

Cheers

I’ve read a lot of complaints about the same issue. I own the original white goggles, and have not experienced the issues you and many of other people are having.

You asked if it would help, I've seen that it helps but still not like white Google's.

Ive heard some say it helps, but the results were the negligable for me w/ or w/o the pagoda antenna (which I should point out, is for 5.8Ghz only).

You really should search out all the other theads on this topic, albeit, they are sometimes hard to identify from thread subject title alone, but there are MANY who have had from the M2s inception and are still having this very same problem with the Goggles RE and M2 products.

DJI HAS IGNORED ITS CUSTOMER BASE Regarding this issue, so really you should just return the Goggles RE, if your still in the return window, unless you have a use for them for anything other than DJI M2 FPV flying. I missed my window, but Im happy to find a use for mine in gaming and other entertainment over HDMI, however, the White Goggles wouldve done this just as well.

I found these 2 different post with basically the same solution in threads on this forum. I saved them because I have the RE's but haven't tried them yet. See if this solution works for you:

"I got mine to work!! I went into the HD menu and set the Channel from Dual to 2.4 GHz. I then set the Channel Mode to Custom and choose 20 MHz. Once all this was done I turned on the goggles. I was able to fly over 2 miles and back with the goggles! All in glorious HD. Let me know if this works for any of the rest of you."

"RC first then AC then into RC settings HD 2.4 then custom 20 then back to auto then fire up goggles with pagoda antenna and away you go people say it should not work but it hasn't failed me I found these settings in one of the threads on this site it works for me. I hope it works for you . By the way I'm in Australia CE mode this new M2Z & RE goggles distance is amazing adrenaline plus that's the biggest distance I've done. Enjoy safe flying."

I found these 2 different post with basically the same solution in threads on this forum. I saved them because I have the RE's but haven't tried them yet. See if this solution works for you:

"I got mine to work!! I went into the HD menu and set the Channel from Dual to 2.4 GHz. I then set the Channel Mode to Custom and choose 20 MHz. Once all this was done I turned on the goggles. I was able to fly over 2 miles and back with the goggles! All in glorious HD. Let me know if this works for any of the rest of you."

"RC first then AC then into RC settings HD 2.4 then custom 20 then back to auto then fire up goggles with pagoda antenna and away you go people say it should not work but it hasn't failed me I found these settings in one of the threads on this site it works for me. I hope it works for you . By the way I'm in Australia CE mode this new M2Z & RE goggles distance is amazing adrenaline plus that's the biggest distance I've done. Enjoy safe flying."

Thanks for the suggestion, but Ive already tried that with no real change. Ive unfortunately been on this sad ride (with many others) since Sept 2018 so Ive tried alot.

The ONLY thing that I tried that showed any worthwhile change to the flights range was by installing an older version of GO4 on my RC host device. The one I found the best results but they werent always as advertised, but always better than the normal 1000ft, was to use V4.3.0 (official-840)
(This is an android build. If your interested, its been posted in other threads that arent hard to find, with descriptions on where to find downloads. Keep in mind though; THIS OLDER VERSION DOESNT OFFER MANY OF THE UPDATED FEATURES out now, such as Waypoints 2.0)

The Pagoda antenna was made to match the 5.8Ghz band wavelength so if it helps on 2.4Ghz, its only due to somewhat close harmonics. Also, the SMA antenna input, on the Goggles, was only ever added for the Analog 5.8Ghz range that Quad Racers use, with a separate transciever set that is placed on their AC.

Occusync 2 was advertised to have enough resistance to RF Interference, that it didnt need an external antenna on the Goggles RE.

I believe the problem lies with the Go4 app, the AC and RC firmwares and coding, and how they all handle RF Interference.

DJI JUST NEEDS TO DO MORE TESTING IN DIFFERING RF ENVIROMENTS. The fix is possible, but the question is, is it profitable for them as theyve already sold alot of RE's.

Since DJI fixing this isnt likely at this point, I hope that these secondary fixes helps others but I remain unconvinced. I am glad that they seem to help some fairly well although I do believe its significantly location specific!

Example:
Mavic 1 and White Goggles use Ocusync 1.0 while
Mavic 2 and Goggles RE use Occusync 2.0.

Mavic 1 and White Goggles DO NOT HAVE THIS RANGE ISSUE (Occusync 1 is 2.4Ghz only)
while
Mavic 2 and Goggles RE, do have range issue (Occusync 2.0 uses dualband 2 4/5.8Ghz)
so I fully understand why folks think that using 2.4ghz custom (thus disabling 5.8ghz band) is where the problem lies, I do think theres more to it!

The difference between the Digital Protocols Occusync 1 & 2 is: Occusync 1.0 was still heavily hardware based, meaning they could only use 2.4Ghz as trying to add another rf band would require addl hardware (ADDING WEIGHT). They solved this by changing over to a software based system.
Occusync 2 is SDR (Software Defined Radio) based, so it is so much more, defined by software, (excuse the pun) than Ocusync 1.

The fact that range it ONLY affected when the Goggles RE are linked to the M2 is because the Goggles have their own GO4 -like- operating system.

So, the RC's host device (your phone or tab), The Goggles RE and the M2 AC ALL HAVE TO COOPERATE IN REAL TIME.

The Goggles RE added to that mix, when theres even the smallest bit of RF Interference, throws the whole system off, thus resulting in the BLACK WALL of zero signal that most folks hit once they reach 300m or so.

THE ISSUE LIES IN THE CODING DEEP WITHIN THE SYSTEM, MAINLY ON THE GOGGLES RE SIDE, AND REALISTICLY ONLY DJI CAN FIX IT, SADLY!

THIS IS WHY THE MAVIC 2 CAN CONTINUE ON FOR MILES ONCE THE GOGGLES RE ARE POWERED OFF!

Sorry if this is more info than what was expected/hoped for. Im really just hoping DJI will suddenly give a crap about its not-so-old product and give us a real fix as everything else about the system is great!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, but Ive already tried that with no real change. Ive unfortunately been on this sad ride (with many others) since Sept 2018 so Ive tried alot.

The ONLY thing that I tried that showed any worthwhile change to the flights range was by installing an older version of GO4 on my RC host device. The one I found the best results but they werent always as advertised, but always better than the normal 1000ft, was to use V4.3.0 (official-840)
(This is an android build. If your interested, its been posted in other threads that arent hard to find, with descriptions on where to find downloads. Keep in mind though; THIS OLDER VERSION DOESNT OFFER MANY OF THE UPDATED FEATURES out now, such as Waypoints 2.0)

The Pagoda antenna was made to match the 5.8Ghz band wavelength so if it helps on 2.4Ghz, its only due to somewhat close harmonics. Also, the SMA antenna input, on the Goggles, was only ever added for the Analog 5.8Ghz range that Quad Racers use, with a separate transciever set that is placed on their AC.

Occusync 2 was advertised to have enough resistance to RF Interference, that it didnt need an external antenna on the Goggles RE.

I believe the problem lies with the Go4 app, the AC and RC firmwares and coding, and how they all handle RF Interference.

DJI JUST NEEDS TO DO MORE TESTING IN DIFFERING RF ENVIROMENTS. The fix is possible, but the question is, is it profitable for them as theyve already sold alot of RE's.

Since DJI fixing this isnt likely at this point, I hope that these secondary fixes helps others but I remain unconvinced. I am glad that they seem to help some fairly well although I do believe its significantly location specific!

Example:
Mavic 1 and White Goggles use Ocusync 1.0 while
Mavic 2 and Goggles RE use Occusync 2.0.

Mavic 1 and White Goggles DO NOT HAVE THIS RANGE ISSUE (Occusync 1 is 2.4Ghz only)
while
Mavic 2 and Goggles RE, do have range issue (Occusync 2.0 uses dualband 2 4/5.8Ghz)
so I fully understand why folks think that using 2.4ghz custom (thus disabling 5.8ghz band) is where the problem lies, I do think theres more to it!

The difference between the Digital Protocols Occusync 1 & 2 is: Occusync 1.0 was still heavily hardware based, meaning they could only use 2.4Ghz as trying to add another rf band would require addl hardware (ADDING WEIGHT). They solved this by changing over to a software based system.
Occusync 2 is SDR (Software Defined Radio) based, so it is so much more, defined by software, (excuse the pun) than Ocusync 1.

The fact that range it ONLY affected when the Goggles RE are linked to the M2 is because the Goggles have their own GO4 -like- operating system.

So, the RC's host device (your phone or tab), The Goggles RE and the M2 AC ALL HAVE TO COOPERATE IN REAL TIME.

The Goggles RE added to that mix, when theres even the smallest bit of RF Interference, throws the whole system off, thus resulting in the BLACK WALL of zero signal that most folks hit once they reach 300m or so.

THE ISSUE LIES IN THE CODING DEEP WITHIN THE SYSTEM, MAINLY ON THE GOGGLES RE SIDE, AND REALISTICLY ONLY DJI CAN FIX IT, SADLY!

THIS IS WHY THE MAVIC 2 CAN CONTINUE ON FOR MILES ONCE THE GOGGLES RE ARE POWERED OFF!

Sorry if this is more info than what was expected/hoped for. Im really just hoping DJI will suddenly give a crap about its not-so-old product and give us a real fix as everything else about the system is great!
Great Info. I think you hit the nail right on the head. Come on DJI fix this problem. Thanks for sharing jzilla80

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3