DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antennas and extended range

Turn11

Reactions
Out here in my corner of Arizona there are many areas where I can see 20 miles without anything higher than 4 - 5’ tall. Our elevation ranges from 500’ to 7,000’ . The majority of the time the terrain would be flat to rolling where the elevation change might be 100’ from me to a wash on the other side of a rise. Takeoff and landing would be off the top of a Jeep with a landing pad on the roof for contrast.

I AM NOT trying to get a spot on the range leaderboard.

Under these conditions which antenna would have an advantage directional or omnidirectional? OR perhaps a second RC bonded to the AC.

Which antenna make and model would you recommend?

Larry

Titan Cyclone 2.4ghz model

Thanks for your reply. I have seen a number of your posts #2 on this topic. I had been thinking about a LifThor display holder for my (present display) iPad. It looks like that might be a lot of front end weight. Also I wonder if there would be enough room between the RC and amp. AND would it affect the signal radiation.

How fragile does the RC & Amp become. Any thoughts

Thanks for your reply. I have seen a number of your posts #2 on this topic. I had been thinking about a LifThor display holder for my (present display) iPad. It looks like that might be a lot of front end weight. Also I wonder if there would be enough room between the RC and amp. AND would it affect the signal radiation.

How fragile does the RC & Amp become. Any thoughts
I don't believe that the lift Thor will work with the Titan t-lock mount which has a bracket in front of the controller, I'm not sure if it will work with any panel type antenna system.
You can see the t-lock bracket in the image below.

There is a little bit of extra weight on the front end, if I were using the Cyclone, I'd look at a mount that places the ipad a bit more behind the controller to counter balance.
e.g. https://www.amazon.com/KUUQA-Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-Holder-Controller/dp/B071XP2MJ1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521327083&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=tablet+mount+mavic+pro&psc=1

In 8 mths of use, I haven't has a problem with the connection point at the controller, which takes the weight of the Cyclone panel
When your holding this arrangement at 45-55 degrees facing the sky you don't really notice the weight.

titan mod to to the air - Copy.JPG

Thanks for the top picture, I think you are correct.

I liked the visibility and the access the Lifthor gave BUT it looked like the addition of the amp would have a clearance problem, make it even more top heavy and possibly cause a signal radiation problem. I am NOT an antenna expert BUT I do ask a lot of questions.

I presently use a SKYREAT display holder and I think the amp would balance it nicely

Out here in my corner of Arizona there are many areas where I can see 20 miles without anything higher than 4 - 5’ tall. Our elevation ranges from 500’ to 7,000’ . The majority of the time the terrain would be flat to rolling where the elevation change might be 100’ from me to a wash on the other side of a rise. Takeoff and landing would be off the top of a Jeep with a landing pad on the roof for contrast.

Under these conditions which antenna would have an advantage directional or omnidirectional? OR perhaps a second RC bonded to the AC.

Larry

I run these in Arizona

Attachments

• 57008D08-7CAE-4A2E-A2BB-5BA5C6AC9F23.jpeg
    57008D08-7CAE-4A2E-A2BB-5BA5C6AC9F23.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 18B9C48B-4B00-4F25-B4C5-E2FF0D814041.jpeg
    18B9C48B-4B00-4F25-B4C5-E2FF0D814041.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Takeoff and landing would be off the top of a Jeep with a landing pad on the roof for contrast.

Larry

I would assume that roof is not metal? yes if the terrain is flat to rolling then a directional would be the way to go

@lannes

do you think he would be better off getting titan switch?

I have both Titan cyclone and the atlas, and they do improve the range. But in my case,flying in the mountains
I needed more power, so I went first with the 8watt amps and the 14DBI panels and that got me more range.

I have both Titan cyclone and the atlas, and they do improve the range. But in my case,flying in the mountains
I needed more power, so I went first with the 8watt amps and the 14DBI panels and that got me more range.

how much more did you get?

I have not found the limit on the large 20DBI panels and the 8 watt unit yet ( tripod mounted units )
I can get 54K out pretty easy , on the smaller panels with the 8 watt amps I’ve been out to 42K with no loss of
Of signal at all. I’ve only been out to 38K with the small panels and 4 watt amps. And this is no offense to any others. Just like in racing there’s no replacement for hp. In radio signal, unless you have a lot of experience. More wattage gets you further. And you can be a little sloppier getting there. But I fly mostly in the mountains sometimes through small passage ways between peaks and in my unexpert opinion. The rock just soaks up the signal so I need more power. Open flat unobstructed areas you will get by with less. Fly over water as daring as it is,yields long signal paths. And salt water is better than fresh I understand.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
what 8 watt amps you using? do you run a fan on them? what battery you using?

picture not showing up :(

ok that is the one I was thinking you was taking about. does it get hot? sounds like the 4 watt ones do, so I would think the 8 watt ones would too?

No, no comparison, 4 Watts you could cook a egg on, these are much cooler

that's good to know! thanks! I have parts coming so I hope within a couple of weeks I will have one built :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ