DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti crash sensors? what a joke

Turbohips

Reactions
So I crashed. I used the point of interest option and didn't account for the height of a tree behind the building which was my subject. I assumed from the marketing about the Mavic Pro that the sensors would stop the drone from crashing into objects. Well, it didn't and it crashed. I'm now having to deal with a broken vibration board. I hope that's the only thing wrong but so far that's all I noticed. Fair warning to everyone. Don't believe the hype. Be careful and account for everything prior to trusting the automatic features.

Reactions: Wipster
So I crashed. I used the point of interest option and didn't account for the height of a tree behind the building which was my subject. I assumed from the marketing about the Mavic Pro that the sensors would stop the drone from crashing into objects. Well, it didn't and it crashed. I'm now having to deal with a broken vibration board. I hope that's the only thing wrong but so far that's all I noticed. Fair warning to everyone. Don't believe the hype. Be careful and account for everything prior to trusting the automatic features.

Obstacle avoidance only works in a forward direction. If you were using point of interest circling a building then the drone wasn't facing the direction that it was moving. It works exactly as DJI says that it works.

I just bought this and on my first flight out found out that the POI doesn't fly in a forward direction. I assumed that it would fly in a forward direction circling the POI so utilizing the sensors and simply point the camera in the direction of the POI. That's not very hard to assume, is it?

I just bought this and on my first flight out found out that the POI doesn't fly in a forward direction. I assumed that it would fly in a forward direction circling the POI so utilizing the sensors and simply point the camera in the direction of the POI. That's not very hard to assume, is it?
No offense, but did you read the manual or do any research before you spent over $1000 on this drone? If you did, you wouldn't have these questions.

No offense taken. I was sold on the marketing videos. I didn't read the manual or do any research aside from debating on which drone to buy for the advertised features such as anti crash sensors.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Did you crash into the tree sideways?

Yes the drone was in POI flight and it hit the tree sideways. When I saw it getting close I tried to elevate the Mavic but it was too late. I broke the camera vibration board thing on it so I stopped flying it since the gimbal warning was coming on. I didn't want further damage so I'll keep it off until my replacement parts come in tomorrow.

Reactions: lostinspace
No offense taken. I was sold on the marketing videos. I didn't read the manual or do any research aside from debating on which drone to buy for the advertised features such as anti crash sensors.
In what marketing video does POI fly forward and turn the camera to the POI? Every one I've ever seen it flies like is described in the manual: in a circle around, while facing the point.

Now a P4P has the fancy sensors all around and can more protect itself in sideways flight.

As far as I remember, the Mavic comes in Beginner Mode (for a reason). In order to get into POI Mode you have to actively get out of beginner mode.
But to comfort you, I was starting in Beginner Mode and hit a tree on my first flight in normal Mode. Luckily I only needed two new props.
I hope you get yours repaired soon.

The camera only turns a few degrees left and right. The drone must be facing the object it is shooting. Even then, the forward sensors "could" still hit a tree as individual branches are not enough to trigger the sensors. To call the sensors "a joke", when this was clearly pilot error, just opens you up for the ridicule you received above. You might want to try not assuming anything, and read the manual, watch YouTube videos...etc., to get a true, non-assumptive, understanding of how the craft works.

Last edited:
Jep, I have to add my crash was 100% pilot error and I only blame myself. And the forward sensors even work when you fly directly against the sun, as I learned last week! Pretty amazing machine!

Cause he wants to sell ya stuff, to be honest I'm with the other two, not reading the manual proves the point that many make here!

I went back and read the OP's post. I think the subject line is not fair but I thought the post was. The OP did not appear to deny his own responsibilities in this thread (other than the subject line) and it appears to be more of a post to let other people know how the Mavic works.

You should do some testing, my first few flights I tried heading into a stand of trees, very slowly now! Gives you a real feel for what the "forward facing" sensors will & can do, she stopped about 4' from trees & would NOT go closer, now, at speed, you do get the screen & vibration warning, works very well, straight on. All these guys were trying to tell you is- Read & re-read the manual & not the tiny ones that come with the fly more combo, Who can read print that small??
I downloaded printed them from DJI site- (all 64 pages) & even then, Manuals do loose a bit in translation.
Good luck flying

Reactions: MrsTreat and Rbruz
Nothing like testing OA yourself to get a feel for it. So far the only things it did not detect for me (at least from 4-5 feet away, some things pick up at farther range than others) were the net on a soccer goal and some small branches, and had a lot of trouble picking up the chains holding up a swing.

Reactions: Rbruz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair