DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any advice on how to start your own business from scratch?

Lit Gimbal

Reactions
Hey friends,
I got my FAA's part 107 license some time ago in the NY state. I live in a small town here in upstate New York. I registered with DroneBase and that doesn't offer many job offers. Luckily, I have had enough experience flying my bird (Mavic 2 Zoom) and there's simply no reason not to start earning some side cash. What are my chances in a small town, what are the options you'd suggest me checking out? Where shall I start? I have heard you could start up your business and do roof inspections and stuff. Though I don't even know what kind of inspections people want and what for. Any experience and advice are appreciated. Thank you
Vincent

Are you asking about the mechanics of starting a business? This would include things like setting up a corporation or LLC; getting a loan; learning how to market and advertise; hiring employees; etc.

I think you need to be more specific about what it is that you don't know how to do.

Are you asking about the mechanics of starting a business? This would include things like setting up a corporation or LLC; getting a loan; learning how to market and advertise; hiring employees; etc.

I think you need to be more specific about what it is that you don't know how to do.
I'm talking about starting earning money with a drone. Sorry for making that vague

I'm talking about starting earning money with a drone. Sorry for making that vague

EDIT: I just noticed that you are 16 years old from your bio, and if it is true and not a typo, congratulations on getting your 107!

If you are wanting to make a career out of being a drone pilot, do you have a ROTC or aeronautics program at your high school? Print up some business cards for free (vistaprint runs specials) and talk with local real estate agents in your town, and with local building contractors and engineering firms as well.

Not sure what your plans are after graduation, but there are a lot of colleges that have started sUAV degree programs, and the military does as well, however you need to have piloting experience and instrument rating certifications which requires you to become an officer in most cases also. Big employers for graduates with specialized degrees includes Amazon, UPS and other companies looking to expand into drone delivery and security business.

As for going into business independently or contracting with an online service, I get a lot more job announcements from Droners.io and barely any from Dronebase, but I’d also keep a good paying day job under your belt unless you do like John said, and you are also good at knocking on a lot of doors and know enough about business to do it yourself.

Also look into private industry, utilities and government in your region, there may be some local contract or employment opportunities for sUAV pilots after you graduate High School and turn 18.

Good luck, there’s been a few success stories for young people like you being commercial drone pilots, and you already started out strong passing that 107!

Good luck, the sUAV world is just starting out and you can be on the cutting edge of it if you do it right!

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Hey friends,
I got my FAA's part 107 license some time ago in the NY state. I live in a small town here in upstate New York. I registered with DroneBase and that doesn't offer many job offers. Luckily, I have had enough experience flying my bird (Mavic 2 Zoom) and there's simply no reason not to start earning some side cash. What are my chances in a small town, what are the options you'd suggest me checking out? Where shall I start? I have heard you could start up your business and do roof inspections and stuff. Though I don't even know what kind of inspections people want and what for. Any experience and advice are appreciated. Thank you
Vincent
To start a business you need customers. I know that sounds obvious, but there's not point in getting set up as a business before getting jobs. you will also need to have a ready portfolio of your work, and liability insurance and prove you are current and the insurance is relative, and not some micro clause of your car insurance.
To get customers you have to get the word out that you are in business. You can do this cheaply via facebook, word of mouth, door to door solicitation, fliers, or advertise in magazines.
What kind of drone work are you wanting to do? Real Estate? Speak with local real estate agents. You may have to offer to work for free, or steep discount until you become established.
Construction sites, agriculture? What?
You may have to be in this for the long haul because if you really are 16 it will be a challenge to demonstrate you are serious and responsible.
Most folks know very little about drones. Some of what they do 'know', is the harm drones can cause.
Proposing that you can fly a drone in their warehouse to take inventory when you have no experience working in a warehouse is a risky proposition to the buyer. Even if you have insurance, it will be an administrative hassle on their part to be made whole should anything go wrong.
Do you know of anyone in the business? Are they so busy that they'll 'farm out' some of their overflow to you? In that way, you can build on experience, and observe what it takes to run a business.
Some, if not most, if not all, of these jobs require travel. Are you in a position to do that?
If you are serious about this, you need to be prepared for the long haul, and not instant success.
There is a Mavicpilot forum for commercial pilots.
Join that and begin to network. Someone in that network may be better able to help.
There is a LOT more to it than getting the 107 and a drone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake