DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any advices to film at Waterfalls without GPS signal

norain

Reactions
Hey Guys,
I would like to film some Waterfalls where I got pretty bad to no GPS signal (I've already checked it)
Any tips what settings I should use for this?

Greetings

If the Air suddenly switches into GPS and then drops in Atti again, that's when the problem starts.

When you expect GPS signal will be bad or unreliable don't use a Mavic Pro or Air, is my advise.

If you still want to go ahead please be aware of sudden change in air pressure and turbulence near the waterfall and walls.

Reactions: norain
If the Air suddenly switches into GPS and then drops in Atti again, that's when the problem starts.

When you expect GPS signal will be bad or unreliable don't use a Mavic Pro or Air, is my advise.

If you still want to go ahead please be aware of sudden change in air pressure and turbulence near the waterfall and walls.
You are right. When there is a sudden breeze it wil blow away you’re Mavic. Also the RTH function will be disabled because it didn’t record its homepoint. You could try to fly but I really don’t
Hey Guys,
I would like to film some Waterfalls where I got pretty bad to no GPS signal (I've already checked it)
Any tips what settings I should use for this?

Greetings
when you take off it won’t record it’s homepoint. So when there is no signal it will just hover or land. Also when there is a sudden breeze it can just blow the drone away. You could try to fly but I really don’t recommend it.

Yeah, thanks for the answers so far.
I am trying to shoot some safe shots, not that close to the falls. I should turn off obstacle avoidance, right.
Tripod mode on. Max flight distance/height just some metres. And the propellor guards for sure. Anything else?

I thought I really knew how to fly my Mavic Pro until I tried doing exactly this over some spectacular falls with salmon jumping and a bear fishing in a narrow canyon. Poor GPS connection, air turbulence that slammed the Mavic Pro into the canyon wall, and my prized possession was swimming with the salmon. In short, a very expensive lesson.

Mine does this when i fly in house (switching of gps to vision or atti) it does the same thing for my P4,mav pro and spark it will not act erratic you just have to be ready......now if we are talking about an old 350 qx then ya better think twice and be fast..... I say if the pilot can at least fly an atti mode he should be competent enough to fly it. If not I probably would not even try it especially if you are a noob.... because it probably won't have Opti Vision because of the water

Yeah, thanks for the answers so far.
I am trying to shoot some safe shots, not that close to the falls. I should turn off obstacle avoidance, right.
Tripod mode on. Max flight distance/height just some metres. And the propellor guards for sure. Anything else?
If you are pretty new to Flying I would put the propeller guards on and yes tripod mode I do not think you can turn off the sensors if you have tripod mode on .... if you do not want the sensors on you can be very easy on the sticks and just take your time nice and subtle movements. Also if you are close to the aircraft and there are a lot of trees around you I would set rth action to hover in case it wants to return to home or your battery is getting low and it wants to return to home. .. it won't rise up and hit trees.... that's of course if you are close to it the whole time

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji