DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Drones pilots from Whistler B.C.

Chris R

Reactions
Getting ready to go to Whistler, and curious if area is friendly for drones. We will be doing some snowmobiling, and I want to get some great shots.

Would love to hear more about your experience. Heading to Whistler in a week myself.

Near as I can figure, the standard 90m altitude and 150m from any people, buildings, animals applies. Whistler Blackcomb private property is out of bounds.

Filming in Whistler

I live in North Van! No issues with snowmobiling and using a drone on Grouse or Cyprus

Reactions: 604Pilot
Are you from BC Chris? What drones do you have?
No, I live in Cabo San Lucas, MX. I am bringing my new Mavic with me. going out sledding with a couple of locals though. They have been there for many years.

Oh cool, well enjoy we got a hell of a lot of snow the last week!

I live in North Van! No issues with snowmobiling and using a drone on Grouse or Cyprus

Hey Shane, I just bought a mavic today, I live in the west end. What are the rules with flying around downtown/west end area? Or English bay, I know there are float planes around coal harbour so not to fly it there but what about the surrounding areas.?? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Shaneoc
Hey Shane, I just bought a mavic today, I live in the west end. What are the rules with flying around downtown/west end area? Or English bay, I know there are float planes around coal harbour so not to fly it there but what about the surrounding areas.?? Thanks.

All of those places are a big no no, you will have to go well out of the city unfortunately and you are not allowed to legally fly in provincial parks.

This image was posted on reddit a while back, and - http://i.imgur.com/pqWeFYI.png

Sometimes I break the rules but ssssshhhh

All of those places are a big no no, you will have to go well out of the city unfortunately and you are not allowed to legally fly in provincial parks.

This image was posted on reddit a while back, and - http://i.imgur.com/pqWeFYI.png

Really?? Well that's a buzz kill.. pretty much rules out everywhere I thought I would get good footage. I kinda guessed coal harbour and lions gate area would be a no no but I thought the rest might be ok once you stayed at a low altitude and kept within eye shot. How strict/enforced are they when it comes to these rules. Obviously not gonna put anyone in danger but a total ban around Vancouver is a bit overkill..

Reactions: 604Pilot
Really?? Well that's a buzz kill.. pretty much rules out everywhere I thought I would get good footage. I kinda guessed coal harbour and lions gate area would be a no no but I thought the rest might be ok once you stayed at a low altitude and kept within eye shot. How strict/enforced are they when it comes to these rules. Obviously not gonna put anyone in danger but a total ban around Vancouver is a bit overkill..

Are you from cork by any chance?..

Well if you look at any of the drone videos online of Vancouver, most fly within those zones that are actually sanctioned as no fly zones, that image was also created by someone who isnt the Ministry of Transport Canada.
I have never had an issue ever flying my drone within some of these areas, but obviously not close to the obvious no fly zones of Downtown and YVR.

Cops and bystanders never seem to have an issue if you know what your doing and you seem educated on the subject and the regulations. I always carry a printout of the ministry of transport regulations. I was flying on the sunshine coast once on a lake and some dude rolls up in his boat and starts shouting at me saying I need to register my drone and where are my insurance documents. I took the printout out of my bag handed it to him, cracked a beer and he apologised and went on his way. It pays to be prepared sometimes.

Reactions: Shell piece
Haha, that's so weird. Just thought the name sounded Irish and saw you posted about needing parts around cork. I'm from black rock in the city, living in van for nearly 2 years now.

Oh ok cool, I know blackrock well and I know lots of people there. I used to work in the Venue bar. Ive been in Van for 3 years.

I've heard that you cannot fly in BC Parks, but have never been able to find any official information on their website. Have you ever seen anything official stating this? I used to do my training in a remote area of Mt. Robson Provincial Park, but last month I was told that I couldn't fly there.

I live in Jasper National Park, and am aware that UAV's flights are not allowed in our National Parks without an SFOC and Restricted Activity Permit. However, I'm looking for any information from BC Parks(provincial parks) that confirms their "no drone" policy.

Just follow that link and it links you direct to the BC Parks website where it shows the regulations or....... there is google.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada