DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any good app that shows Canadian restrictions?

Dukatu

Reactions
I've noticed that UAV forecast and DJI don't have all restricted Canadian space listed. Anyone know a good app or website that does?

For example, I'm planning on going to Ottawa next year to do some filming, and I know Parliament Hill is restricted airspace, but I have no idea how far that extends and am having trouble finding that information. The apps I checked out don't even show it as a NFZ.

The NFZ on Parliament Hill is a radius of 0.35 mile with a surface of 3000 feet Source page 150

As for what app to use i have use Hover you can get it here for Android and here for ios is list Parliament Hill as a NFZ. How accurate is it remains unknown as i only flew my mavic which is my first drone on private property in the middle of nowhere which i have permission to be on

Last edited:
Reactions: Dukatu
I've noticed that UAV forecast and DJI don't have all restricted Canadian space listed. Anyone know a good app or website that does?

For example, I'm planning on going to Ottawa next year to do some filming, and I know Parliament Hill is restricted airspace, but I have no idea how far that extends and am having trouble finding that information. The apps I checked out don't even show it as a NFZ.
Yes, all of the apps and 'DJI NFZ's are not accurate.
Try SkyDemon and load your regional sectional plates
It will also show real-time NOTAMS, TAFS and METARS for you intended flying location
Welcome to SkyDemon, VFR Flight Planning Software and GPS Navigation

The NFZ on Parliament Hill is a radius of 0.35 mile with a surface of 3000 feet Source page 150

As for what app to use i have use Hover you can get it here for Android and here for ios is list Parliament Hill as a NFZ. How accurate is it remains unknown as i only flew my mavic which is my first drone on private property in the middle of nowhere which i have permission to be on
Thanks!

This app is depressing, it almost looks like you're not allowed to fly anywhere in Toronto. Probably best not to be flying downtown anyway, the east end of the city still has nice views.

I read on SkyDemon's website. They update maps every 4 weeks. So they probably don't have recent updates.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
NOTAMS, TAFS and METARS are real time (otherwise they would be useless)
Can you give me another company/organisation that updates their sectionals more regularly than once a month?

I have included 2 links to web based helpers. Skyvector is a tool for A/C pilots, you will need to learn how to read them properly.
The second (airmap) you set the parameters on the panel to the right side. FYI - Airmap is the company DJI partnered with for NFZ's.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

AirMap.io

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 3.19.02 PM✨.png

I have included 2 links to web based helpers. Skyvector is a tool for A/C pilots, you will need to learn how to read them properly.
The second (airmap) you set the parameters on the panel to the right side. FYI - Airmap is the company DJI partnered with for NFZ's.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

AirMap.io

I'll second AIRMAP . . they seem pretty up to date in Canada. Lots of other selection options so you can get rid of clutter if too many layers make it hard to read. You CAN fly in Toronto area. . .just need the clearances. Best to have a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) but it can be done legally if you call the right people and jump through a few hoops that are not cumbersome really if you are staying below 300ft.

@Dukatu This will probably answer some questions for you - No Drone Zones - Transport Canada
Not really - Transport Canada needs to spend more time on their resources, everything on their site relating to drones are so unclear. Like it says you must follow these rules, then each item says "we recommend". They don't make it clear what is required by law and what is just a suggestion. Plus they only talk about airports and National Parks, which are obvious NFZs. There has already been issues between drone pilots and police due to unclear regulation.

I've got 3 different apps I'm using now to triple confirm I'm in an area that should be clear for flying.

Thanks guys, AirMap seems pretty awesome. I've downloaded their app, and will likely use it as my primary one.

Not really - Transport Canada needs to spend more time on their resources, everything on their site relating to drones are so unclear. Like it says you must follow these rules, then each item says "we recommend". They don't make it clear what is required by law and what is just a suggestion. Plus they only talk about airports and National Parks, which are obvious NFZs. There has already been issues between drone pilots and police due to unclear regulation.

I've got 3 different apps I'm using now to triple confirm I'm in an area that should be clear for flying.
Hi Dukatu . . Just for some more clarity. Transport Canada currently has few if ANY "rules" . . . they are working toward publishing amendments to the CARS (Canadian Air Regs) by next JULY. Meantime the "recommendations" are based on what they currently expect will be the final published rules. . . and also in the meantime, if you want to fly other than recreationally you need to apply to them and get authorization in the form of a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate).

That's why its so messy right now . . . and they have VERY FEW resources to make this happen so don't be surprised if the CARS are not updated by next summer. More HERE.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
@Cookedinlh I don't plan on flying commercially, but I've been thinking that getting a SFOC might be a good idea anyway - what do you think?
Absolutely .. . go for it . . if you have any questions send me contact info at [email protected] and I'll do what I can to help . . . nothing hard to do really about it but it's complicated . . .required some patience in the application process.

Reactions: Dukatu
I've been using the "Hover" app lately and like it. Not only does it show the NFZs (including Parliament Hill btw), but it also shows the K-index and weather.

I'm very late to this (most informative and useful!) thread. Before coming here to mavicpilots.com, I had started creating my own (beginner/entry level) content on reddit.com/r/ottawa answering the "where to fly" question for the Ottawa region in particular. That page does include a map, but I'm happy to provide the KML to anyone that would like it (unfortunately it seems that this site will not permit me to attach a KML file to this post).

Realistically, however, one of the apps listed herein is probably more accurate and kept current.

Just a quick note after looking through the various options posted in this thread:
  • SkyDemon is priced for professional/commercial users. At $118/year, it's likely considerably more costly than a recreational drone flyer will pay.
  • SkyVector is an incredibly detailed free resource - however is clearly designed for actual pilots who know how to read aeronautical charts/maps.
  • airmap.io (and the hover app which is based on airmap.io data, according to the app description) looks to be the best option. That said, there does appear to be some data missing. For example, in the Ottawa, ON region (where I'm located), airmap.io does not make any indication of the fact that there are hospital heliports at both 45.391444, -75.720556 and 45.400994, -75.650120. It also does not appear to list any of the waterdomes: Gatineau, Constance Lake, Cascades, and Rivière Blanche/Cardinal Aviation.
Other suggestions and/or recommendations on how to improve the airmap.io experience are welcome!

EDIT:
  • The closest that I could find to Johanna's suggestion to "UAV NO FLY ZONE" was the "No Fly Zone" app. The app itself appears buggy and some horrendous reviews, but beyond that it also appears to be lacking restricted airspace indications entirely (e.g., around Parliament Hill, Rideau Hall, the Connaught Range, amongst others).
EDIT 2:
  • airmap.io DOES list heliports - there is a tiny little checkbox that you have to enable to show them. That said, it looks to me that, when enabled, the heliport exclusion zone is shown for a 5nm range, instead of the 3nm range that is posted in the Transport Canada Exemption from Sections 602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (see bullet point 27). There still does not appear to be any option to display waterdomes.

Last edited:
Just a quick note after looking through the various options posted in this thread:
  • SkyDemon is priced for professional/commercial users. At $118/year, it's likely considerably more costly than a recreational drone flyer will pay.
  • SkyVector is an incredibly detailed free resource - however is clearly designed for actual pilots who know how to read aeronautical charts/maps.
  • airmap.io (and the hover app which is based on airmap.io data, according to the app description) looks to be the best option. That said, there does appear to be some data missing. For example, in the Ottawa, ON region (where I'm located), airmap.io does not make any indication of the fact that there are hospital heliports at both 45.391444, -75.720556 and 45.400994, -75.650120. It also does not appear to list any of the waterdomes: Gatineau, Constance Lake, Cascades, and Rivière Blanche/Cardinal Aviation.
Other suggestions and/or recommendations on how to improve the airmap.io experience are welcome!

EDIT:
  • The closest that I could find to Johanna's suggestion to "UAV NO FLY ZONE" was the "No Fly Zone" app. The app itself appears buggy and some horrendous reviews, but beyond that it also appears to be lacking restricted airspace indications entirely (e.g., around Parliament Hill, Rideau Hall, the Connaught Range, amongst others).
EDIT 2:
  • airmap.io DOES list heliports - there is a tiny little checkbox that you have to enable to show them. That said, it looks to me that, when enabled, the heliport exclusion zone is shown for a 5nm range, instead of the 3nm range that is posted in the Transport Canada Exemption from Sections 602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (see bullet point 27). There still does not appear to be any option to display waterdomes.
I did find a better one. Not an app, but I put a shortcut to the website on my ipad. Check out: nrc.cnrc.gc.ca
I think this one is about as accurate as I have found, for Canada that is.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123