DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any idea what these birds are? [EDIT: Answered! They are either swifts or House Martins]

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

They absolutely hate the Mavic Air, and they show up from nowhere every time my bird is in the air.

Bird2.pngBird3.png

The color suggests fork-tailed swifts in the Americas, but in Ethiopia I’d just call them swifts of some sort based on their body and wing shape.
Thanks AMann. I have no idea what they are called here (if they have a name); so I would take your word for it and call them swifts. I did a little googling based on your tip. Learned a bit about them. Thanks again!

The fork-tailed swifts have really forked tails. I now also agree with bossbob, they are probably house martins. Cool little flying jet birds!

They seem to be like swallows. Any time I fly near a bluff in Arkansas I have watch for swallows. They fly out and circle the drone never seem to come in close but on a typical bluff there will hundreds. Never bad in winter just summer and fall.

Paul C

Common House Martin Delichon urbica according to my Birds of East-Africa
about 14 cm or 5.5"
Rather stocky blue-black martin with a white rump and underparts. Tail forked.
Anyway, are there reports of birds of prey attacking drones and getting hurt + what would happen to the drone ?

Common House Martin Delichon urbica according to my Birds of East-Africa
about 14 cm or 5.5"
Rather stocky blue-black martin with a white rump and underparts. Tail forked.
Anyway, are there reports of birds of prey attacking drones and getting hurt + what would happen to the drone ?
So it is settled; House Martins they are! Thanks. And as to what could happen to a drone, I think it could quite easily flip over if struck by any bird, especially one as light as the Mavic Air. And once that happens, motors cut off, and it is game over.

Some days, when I launch, the purple martins get really close. I'm flying a mavic pro, I tend to just gas it and go, they don't follow, that I've ever seen. I have had close calls with a hawk or two, scary.martin.jpg

In the UK we call them House Martins. related to swallows, members of Hirundinidae.
I now also agree with bossbob, they are probably house martins.
So it is settled; House Martins they are! Thanks.
Correction, the birds shown in the photos in post #1 are not swallows or martins at all.
They are quite clearly swifts, which are unrelated to swallows and martins.
Their wings are a completely different shape and much longer.
The birds pictured are the White-rumped swift.

Last edited:
The birds pictured are the White-rumped swift
Interesting. From Wikipedia
Wikipedia said:
This species appropriates the nests of little swiftsand those swallows which build retort-shaped nests. In Europe and north Africa, this usually means the red-rumped swallow, but south of the Sahara other species like wire-tailed swallow are also parasitised. The original owners of the nests are driven away, or the white-rumps settle in the nest and refuse to move. Once occupied, the nest is lined with feathers and saliva, and one or two eggs are laid.
Perhaps they are looking to find out where my Mavic Air is nesting.

Drones attract lots of birds, in Quebec, raptors, especially vultures appear from nowhere and circle above the drone, getting closer and closer. I always retreat and land and they disappear as mysteriously as they appeared. But Red-Winged Blackbirdswill definitely attack drones if you’re near their nest. I’ve had several different bird species swoop near the drone, i just turn tail and get it back on the ground. The Mavic 2 may survive with its hinged propeller but Blackbirds are persistant and would eventually get hurt. The Merlin (pigeon hawk) would surly take out a Mavic, they are ferocious & territorial. In Canada our regs require that we not disturb birds because it can separate flocks and cause birds to get lost and perish. Best to go fly somewhere else.

I have had some run ins with barn swallows here in Iowa,so far it's only been one or two at a time and they seem to lose interest after a minute or two. Hawks are what worry me,my Mavic pro seems to resemble lunch to them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS