DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any improvement on the video quality of Mavic Pro Platinum over the Mavic Pro?

peros550

Reactions
Probably the answer is no, because DJI didn't announce any such improvement.

On the other hand, Mavic Pro video quality was criticised for its low dynamic range, oil painting colours, encoder issues which produced some kind of flickering under certain occasions , etc.

These are problems, DJI would never acknowledge. Hence, how could they announce a fix for them?

I am intersting to see, if DJI did any under the hood improvements on MPP video quality. So anybody who owned both the original Mavic Pro and the Platinum, please let us know your observations.

Thanks

Reactions: Norval and zinuhe
Based on some reviews, I am not sure their is a difference in video quality with the MP and MPP, but I could be wrong.

I've owned both. Yes, the MPP's image quality is markedly better IMHO. I'm not sure if it's just a software change to NR or what, but it is much more pleasing and appears to have much less compression flicker as well.

I also own both. I only shoot in 1080p 30fps. So far I haven't seen a significant difference in quality. I've only had the MPP about two weeks, so I need to see how it does in more different lighting conditions. Under similar settings I've had to turn down the exposure on the MPP a bit more and I also noticed slightly less color saturation.

I've always thought the Mavic has a pretty decent camera that is quite capable especially for those that know how to get the most out of it.

I also own both. I only shoot in 1080p 30fps. So far I haven't seen a significant difference in quality. I've only had the MPP about two weeks, so I need to see how it does in more different lighting conditions. Under similar settings I've had to turn down the exposure on the MPP a bit more and I also noticed slightly less color saturation.

I've always thought the Mavic has a pretty decent camera that is quite capable especially for those that know how to get the most out of it.

It is quite possible I just got a bad copy in my MP and that the MPP is a good copy and therefore I'm seeing the differences there. However, I use to do major camera reviews and know my way around camera and lens quality issues and am so far very impressed with the MPP's sensor as opposed to the MP. The MP was not soft at all, it's just the sensor had terrible DR and TONS of noise, even at ISO100. The MPP doesn't exhibit the DR issue or the noise issue until you start jacking the ISO up.

I shoot in 4K 24p almost exclusively. 0-1-1 or 1-1-1 and D-Log.

Reactions: MavicGS
In addition to the noise reduction, I heard that there was an issue with the MP camera that was fixed in the MPP. Something to do with the 1080P60 mode. This along with the reduction in prop noise is why I waited (and am still waiting) for the MPP instead of buying a MP.

Reactions: Norval
It is quite possible I just got a bad copy in my MP and that the MPP is a good copy and therefore I'm seeing the differences there. However, I use to do major camera reviews and know my way around camera and lens quality issues and am so far very impressed with the MPP's sensor as opposed to the MP. The MP was not soft at all, it's just the sensor had terrible DR and TONS of noise, even at ISO100. The MPP doesn't exhibit the DR issue or the noise issue until you start jacking the ISO up.

I shoot in 4K 24p almost exclusively. 0-1-1 or 1-1-1 and D-Log.

It's good to hear your affirmation of the MPP's camera. I'm about as novice as it gets when it comes to photography, so my experience is really limited to my two Mavics.

In addition to the noise reduction, I heard that there was an issue with the MP camera that was fixed in the MPP. Something to do with the 1080P60 mode. This along with the reduction in prop noise is why I waited (and am still waiting) for the MPP instead of buying a MP.

I accidentally shot in that mode when I got the Goggles back in June and I can tell you it's definitely an issue with the original Mavic. I've forgotten about it, honestly, as I only shoot in 1080p 30fps, but I will shoot 1080p60 with the MPP and report back here as soon as I get the chance. With all the craziness of Thanksgiving week, hopefully I'll find the time.

Reactions: lolo780
I have been flying a P4 since its release. I purchased a MPP for a more travel friendly camera. The video is very "jumpy", as in not smooth. Every few seconds is seems to skip a fraction of a second. Is this because I'm shooting in 1080/60? I've never had this issue with the P4 even in 4K.

I have been flying a P4 since its release. I purchased a MPP for a more travel friendly camera. The video is very "jumpy", as in not smooth. Every few seconds is seems to skip a fraction of a second. Is this because I'm shooting in 1080/60? I've never had this issue with the P4 even in 4K.

I shoot in 4k/30 on my MPP and have not experienced this issue. Video looks smooth on playback.

You may want to check if your TV system (or monitor) is set to 60Hz or 50Hz. For example playing content recorded at 30/60 fps on a monitor set to work at 50Hz will produce this kind of effect.

You may want to check if your TV system (or monitor) is set to 60Hz or 50Hz. For example playing content recorded at 30/60 fps on a monitor set to work at 50Hz will produce this kind of effect.
Interesting reply. These videos that I shot skip and jutter on the iPhone or iPad while recording and play back with the same issue. Mostly when the Mavic is panning a scene. Then, when downloading and playing back on a nice Samsung 4K TV they are much smoother. I say "much smoother" because there is still a much less detectable but still noticeable hiccup in the scene.

Interesting reply. These videos that I shot skip and jutter on the iPhone or iPad while recording and play back with the same issue. Mostly when the Mavic is panning a scene. Then, when downloading and playing back on a nice Samsung 4K TV they are much smoother. I say "much smoother" because there is still a much less detectable but still noticeable hiccup in the scene.

Which Samsung 4k tv do you own? I have a Samsung 55 inch KS8000 and mavic video looks great. My tv is 120hz so no jutter at 24fps. If you own a lower model Samsung 4k tv this might be an issue. Many of those (especially the 6 series Samsungs) are only 60hz.

iPad screens are set to 60Hz, so you shouldn't have configuration mismatch if you are recording on 30/60 fps. On the other hand you mentioned that your issue is mostly noticeable when panning. Have a look at this thread Not a smooth video while turning. it should give you more help and ideas to explore.

If possible, please let's continue the discussion on MPP video quality.

Which Samsung 4k tv do you own? I have a Samsung 55 inch KS8000 and mavic video looks great. My tv is 120hz so no jutter at 24fps. If you own a lower model Samsung 4k tv this might be an issue. Many of those (especially the 6 series Samsungs) are only 60hz.

Our Samsung is a 8500. I flew yesterday at 1080/30fps and goggles and iPhone was completely smooth. I guess the Mavic is just overloading iOS with data at 60 FPS. Next, I’ll fly at 4K and 30fps...see what we get.

F

Last edited:
Reactions: dport177
I used MP for about a year, and now use MPP for almost 2 months. Yes, I see significant picture / video quality improvement, although it was never mentioned by DJI. If you see my IG @tedydj timeline, you'll notice when I started using MPP.

I'm not finding any difference with the MPP camera over the MP, if anything the MP is better as you can see from this shot

alkimos.jpg

I think around Oct 2017 DJI changed the core board from part number starting with 18 to 22. The camera chip was upgraded to the A9SE which allows 1080/60 to work properly.
I've never done any other comparison between old and new, but maybe will take a closer look.

I think around Oct 2017 DJI changed the core board from part number starting with 18 to 22. The camera chip was upgraded to the A9SE which allows 1080/60 to work properly.
I've never done any other comparison between old and new, but maybe will take a closer look.

Any way for one to easily find which part number we have? without ripping apart the drone...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000