DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any M2P or M3 owners also with a Mini 2?

Coskier

Reactions
Debating selling my DJIFPV combo and taking some of the proceeds to get a Mini2. I have an M3, having just upgraded from the M2P. But the Mini2is appealing because it is such a perfect form factor for international travel. I am going to the south of France next summer, and thinking it would be more practical and legal to have a Mini2 as opposed to packing the M3. I know I will be losing some of the features of the larger bird, but I still like the idea of having something with me when we go overseas. Curious if anyone else has this kind of set up and have been happy with it? I do still have the smart controller from the M2P, and it looks like the Mini2 is compatible with it. That certainly helps in my mind as well.

Anyhow, would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Thank you.

I don't have those two but I had a Mavic Pro Platinum for a long time. When I got my Mavic Mini 2 I found I no longer had a reason to really fly anything else in my rural agriculture setting. The MM2 does everything I need it to do in such a small size. It's really a fantastic little drone, so easy to launch and maneuver. I don't miss any obstacle avoidance as I never really relied on it, always flew carefully. Hope that opinion helps.

Reactions: Coskier
I don't have those two but I had a Mavic Pro Platinum for a long time. When I got my Mavic Mini 2 I found I no longer had a reason to really fly anything else in my rural agriculture setting. The MM2 does everything I need it to do in such a small size. It's really a fantastic little drone, so easy to launch and maneuver. I don't miss any obstacle avoidance as I never really relied on it, always flew carefully. Hope that opinion helps.
I appreciate it, It does. I'll bekeeping the M3 for sure, for critical projects. But the idea of the Mini 2 keeps growing on me.

I do still have the smart controller from the M2P, and it looks like the Mini2 is compatible with it. That certainly helps in my mind as well.
If you have the actual Smart Controller and not just the M2P controller it will work with the Mini 2.

The Mini 2 is a very capable machine and takes good video as long as there is sufficient light. It falls down in low light situations. I would also keep an eye on the new Autel Nano & Nano+. They are not out yet but have (on paper) better cameras plus some obstacle avoidance while staying under 250 grams. I also fully expect the Mini 3 to launch by April to compete.

Last edited:
Thank you. OA is not as critical for what I plan to shoot. Won't even be a lot of video, more still pictures of coastal areas and such. 12MP should be wholly sufficient for that.

Reactions: Saladshooter
Thank you. OA is not as critical for what I plan to shoot. Won't even be a lot of video, more still pictures of coastal areas and such. 12MP should be wholly sufficient for that.
Are you happy with images from Mavic 3's "zoom camera"?
That secondary camera has same size and resolution sensor as DJI Minis, though no idea if sensor is same.
Then again suspect advance on those sensors has been absolutely minimal for years and myself wouldn't anymore consider that sensor as acceptable as only camera of the drone.

Anyway as you aren't traveling soon, would definitely wait until spring.
DJI just can't think selling another Mini with that dated sensor, assuming Autel gets Nano forward from paper release product stage.

Also no matter the specific drone, you'll need to do European EASA registration as drone operator...
Unless it's both below 250 grams and lacks camera.

Debating selling my DJIFPV combo and taking some of the proceeds to get a Mini2. I have an M3, having just upgraded from the M2P. But the Mini2is appealing because it is such a perfect form factor for international travel. I am going to the south of France next summer, and thinking it would be more practical and legal to have a Mini2 as opposed to packing the M3. I know I will be losing some of the features of the larger bird, but I still like the idea of having something with me when we go overseas. Curious if anyone else has this kind of set up and have been happy with it? I do still have the smart controller from the M2P, and it looks like the Mini2 is compatible with it. That certainly helps in my mind as well.

Thank you.
I own the MINI-2 from June through December. I fly the M2P mostly. I was going to Tanzania and Kenya in September 2021 and did not want to take a chance on losing my M2P by customs or loss of drone in an African crash. I was really not happy with the mini -2. I found it hard to work without aperture adjustment and hard to see the screen of my phone since I use an iPad with the M2P. I sold it with a lot of add on goodies to a Navy pilot, and thank him for his service. The sale was through this forum! He also got a 64GB SD card, an ND filter (16), and 6 or 7 months of Care Refresh.

I own the MINI-2 from June through December. I fly the M2P mostly. I was going to Tanzania and Kenya in September 2021 and did not want to take a chance on losing my M2P by customs or loss of drone in an African crash. I was really not happy with the mini -2. I found it hard to work without aperture adjustment and hard to see the screen of my phone since I use an iPad with the M2P. I sold it with a lot of add on goodies to a Navy pilot, and thank him for his service. The sale was through this forum! He also got a 64GB SD card, an ND filter (16), and 6 or 7 months of Care Refresh.
Was it an image quality issue, or just how the app and such worked?

Was it an image quality issue, or just how the app and such worked?
I did not like the app at all. I did not like its lay out, I did not like the RC, could not fit my iPad into it without a longer cable and another holding device, trouble doing the settings down on the bottom, everything crowded together on the bottom, etc. It also felt unsubstantial, and toy-like.

Thank you.
Have had my Mavic 2 Pro for several years and I love it. I purchased a Mavic Mini 2 in June for the main purpose of International travel- specifically to Tanzania and Kenya. I completed this trip in September. I was worried about either having my M2P confiscated in customs, or lost due to an incident. I did not like the Mavic Mini 2 fly app compared to the DGI Go4 app. I found it crowded on my iPhone screen. I did not like the lack of variable aperture. I found it difficult to fly. When I returned from Africa, I sold it, to a forum member last week. There was still 7 months of DJY Refresh on it, and sold it with the 128 GB SD card and ND16 Freewell filter. The ND filter did not stay well on the lens, another pain in the a...
Glad to be rid of it.

Dale

I'm actually researching the Hubsan Zino Mini now. Anyone have hands on experience with either the Pro or SE version? My biggest concerns are around image quality (still and video). OA is not really a concern. I do like that it does Active Tracking.

Hubsan Tracking issues:

If you have the actual Smart Controller and not just the M2P controller it will work with the Mini 2.

The Mini 2 is a very capable machine and takes good video as long as there is sufficient light. It falls down in low light situations. I would also keep an eye on the new Autel Nano & Nano+. They are not out yet but have (on paper) better cameras plus some obstacle avoidance while staying under 250 grams. I also fully expect the Mini 3 to launch by April to compete.
Also meant to say, that it appears the Autel Nano and Nano+ have been discontinued. They sure did not last long...

Hubsan Tracking issues:

The vertical rise is a bit of an issue. But I am wondering if the color of his clothing related to the shadows is the issue on the tracking loss. I'll have to try it with the M3 and see if the same thing occurs.

Just as a curiosity, can you travel with an FCC drone in a CE country and fly there?
I personally own the 3 drones and for a trip, the mini 2 will be perfect.

Also meant to say, that it appears the Autel Nano and Nano+ have been discontinued. They sure did not last long...
This is not true.... B&H marked them as discontinued by accident and gave the rumors legs but the Nano/Nano+ are not yet released and in production

Just as a curiosity, can you travel with an FCC drone in a CE country and fly there?
I took a Mavic Air (OG version, in red) to Italy and flew there with no problems a few years ago.

This is not true.... B&H marked them as discontinued by accident and gave the rumors legs but the Nano/Nano+ are not yet released and in production
Good to know. Wasn't clear, since they aren't for sale on the Autel site either.

For drones without C-class rating, which can't even be gotten yet because of SNAFU with specifying certifying process, it's all according to weight and environment you're in.

As long as drone has camera you need to register as drone operator in one EASA country, but for sub 250 gram drones there's no need to do A1/A3 online test.

But 30 day time to pass the test is included in registration cost at least here in Finland.
(both registration and passed test valid for up to 5 years)
And with A1/A3 "license" you can fly up to 25kg drone in sparsely populated places/outside commercial, industrial and residential areas. (A3 operating category)

A2 license would allow flying up to 2kg drones in densely populatated areas up to 31 Dec 2022.
After which date A2 license is usefull only for (up to 4kg) C2 class drones, with all above 250 gram limit "legacy" drones belonging to A3.

Reactions: Coskier and zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica