DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any possibility of flying very low in a restricted airspace (not by an airport)?

Roscoe

Reactions
It's come up numerous times where I want to fly but the area is restricted in some way. Most being in the city, on the outer edge of something, like a small airport or hospital with a helipad etc. The drone won't fly. In all those instances all I would really want is the drone to fly about 20-30 feet off the ground to get a nice overhead shot. Clearly that'd endanger nothing and certainly not any aircraft etc. Buildings are almost always at least 15-20 stories in these areas which would be over 100 feet. So is there any option when asking for a clearance to set the height low as suggested here and be approved?

If you're talking about controlled airspace, you can ask for higher limits than what is posted in the airport's grid maps. But only if you're flying under a 107 certificate. Recreational flyers cannot fly above UASFM gird limits.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
It's come up numerous times where I want to fly but the area is restricted in some way. Most being in the city, on the outer edge of something, like a small airport or hospital with a helipad etc. The drone won't fly. In all those instances all I would really want is the drone to fly about 20-30 feet off the ground to get a nice overhead shot. Clearly that'd endanger nothing and certainly not any aircraft etc. Buildings are almost always at least 15-20 stories in these areas which would be over 100 feet. So is there any option when asking for a clearance to set the height low as suggested here and be approved?

First off WELCOME to the forum (first post but you're been here a day or two lol).

Even though you only "intend" to fly at 20'-30' what about if you have a malfunction and RTH kicks in? At what point is an airspace violation "enough" to qualify as risky? Answer - ANY violation.

ANY flight in a Controlled Airspace (if we are talking FAA Controlled Airspace) is 100% illegal without FAA Approval. It doesn't matter if you're flying 1' over the allowed height or 100' or 1000' if you're over the allowed height you're 100% illegal.

Have you taken your TRUST for Recreational Operators? What about Part 107 if you're flying for anything other than Recreational?

Necking down the response from previous posters, who are 100% correct on the legal issues...DJI will usually just require you to acknowledge you're in controlled airspace and then let you fly, unless you're in a restricted zone (these mostly line up with FAA zero grid space, but DJI's maps kinda suck). It would be helpful to have an example of an area you've tried to fly in and the specific restrictions there.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU