DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Reason to Buy Fireproof Bag for Mavic Pro Batteries?

Are you a gearnut? Do you HAVE to have every possible accessory? If so, get it! It's pretty cool, actually.... Just a total waste of money in my opinion though. It's just not in my throw-away-budget.

Find me TWO separate posts about mavic battery fire issues

I've never heard of a Mavic battery doing this, but I have heard of isolated incidents of Lipo batteries in general. How real those reports are, I can't say. At the end of the day, I think they'd only help if you were present and the fire was such that you could do something about it. I don't relish the idea of picking up a burning bag of chemicals. Eventually the fire will get out, they might slow down the spread but I wouldn't go so far as to consider them a fail safe.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Airlines tend to want batteries that are not already encased to be in a lipo bag, but the DJI batteries are already encased so it's not actually needed. Some like to have them for travelling anyway to be sure they don't risk getting them confiscated.

If not travelling on a commercial airline I would not bother with them. They may not be required for that but may satisfy a baggage inspector.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Airlines tend to want batteries that are not already encased to be in a lipo bag, but the DJI batteries are already encased so it's not actually needed. Some like to have them for travelling anyway to be sure they don't risk getting them confiscated.
This right here. I just bought an MPP to take to Panama with me. I do not want them to be taken at security so I will get these bags for that reason alone. They may be safe, but if the TSA or the airline wants to hassle me about them and not let them through, not only would I be out the cost of 3 batteries, but I may not be able to find replacements in Panama and it would be useless to me while there. Otherwise, I would bother.

I have them because one came with my third party charger, and two came with my hard cases for AC and RC. My understanding is you really only need them when taking batteries on to an airplane, but I do keep my batteries in them. My father-in-law keeps his batteries in an ammo can. Lipo fires are rare but they are no joke.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
"Any Reason to Buy Fireproof Bag for Mavic Pro Batteries?"

Yes, Just as there is reason to build a n underground bunker and stock it with 10 years worth of supplies.
You never know when you might need anything typically. :D

Reactions: Hauptmann
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
No, no need. I've been using Lipos in R/C for over a decade. I used to race electric R/C cars and travelled a lot in the Western States. In all that time and hundreds of races, I've only witnessed 2 lipo fires. Both due to user error in charging... The vast/overwhelming time lipos have issues is during charging. Next and to a lesser extend, during use or discharge. I've never seen or heard of a lipo that was in a steady state, erupt into flames. Personally, I had a large capacity lipo that I left in my R/C tool box fully charged for over 2 years. When I found it, it was so swollen the plastic case was split, and I couldn't even squeeze it back together. From that day forward I am/was more careful with my Lipos...

DJI does a very good job with their smart batteries. I've never personally seen or heard of a DJI battery that was properly cared for and an OEM charger used that had issues. Last year I traveled a lot with my MP and my Spark and never had an issue going through TSA. I was never asked by anyone to see or inspect my drone and/or batteries.

I trust my DJI batteries to just keep them in the various GPC cases I have. But for my Lipos for my racing drones. When I don't use those for long periods they go in an Ammo can and stored in a cool dry place away from anything flammable...

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Thanks. I have never heard of a fire with Mavic Pro batteries, so I wondered why the bags were sold.

They’re not that expensive. I fly commercial a lot and whether or not it’s ever happened,I use the battery bag anyway. If nothing else it makes the CATSA clowns think you’re doing things their way. :p
They like that... makes them feel like they’re important and not just mall cops who work at an airport.

Last edited:
If you do get a LIPO fire, please DO NOT throw water on it. It will accelerate by spreading the chemicals all over..
Lithium dissolves in water and creates heat. A byproduct is Hydrogen which is flammable. So yes, bad compatibility! BUT I am not sure it is worse than just burning lithium which gets pretty nasty. I would say if it is burning, IN A SAFE PLACE put it in water!

As far as the bags while charging? YES! A MUST if you are one of those long range enthusiasts using hotter chargers and pushing max charge level.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Lithium dissolves in water and creates heat. A byproduct is Hydrogen which is flammable. So yes, bad compatibility! BUT I am not sure it is worse than just burning lithium which gets pretty nasty. I would say if it is burning, IN A SAFE PLACE put it in water!

Need to get some good oven mittens for that. Another topic maybe?... ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3