DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way around inaccurate NFZ?

Jr. Stafford

Reactions
Have a business in my town that wants a 360 degree photo over her store. It's close to the local airport, but the map shows her just outside of the red zone and in the yellow. (Or maybe green?) Tried to unlock her area, and it really don't seem to give me the option......looks like I should be able to fly.

Tried it with Litchi yesterday, and once I got airborne, it suddenly gave the NFZ on the controller and tried to land in the freaking highway! I struggled like a crazy man to get it out of the highway, then almost landed on a truck. Finally after some stressful tense moments, got it landed in the driveway. Checked the map (clearly outside the NFZ) and went back today and tried from across the highway which is even further from the NFZ. Got the NFZ message on the controller and couldn't even take off.

Any thoughts?

The name of the business is Antique Corral in the town of Cortez Colorado. You can search and see it here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Looks to be quite clearly in just a Warning Zone.

I hate to say it, but if you're sure you are not in the NFZ, the easiest (and most permanent) fix is to rollback your firmware to .700 or earlier. It is this exact type of scenario why I have my MPs running .700 and .400. The app may warn you not to fly and threaten you with similar behavior but the Mavic will ignore those threats. Rollback your DJI Go app and you won't even get the threats.

How to rollback Mavic firmware

I take back what I said. This location is literally just outside the Cortez Municipal Airport. Less than half a mile from the approach/departure path of the airfield. While I'll agree that DJI shows it as an unlockable zone, I'm not sure they are wholly accurate with their determination. With or without the firmware rollback, this is probably nowhere you should be flying a drone. Not at least without close coordination of the airport authorities. The FAA's map, far more accurate than the DJI maps, clearly shows it in a NFZ.

map.png

map2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: trriley5
Rollback firmware, notify and coordinate with the tower like any other aircraft sharing the airspace would, get your pics and call it a day.

Reactions: trriley5
I hate to say it, but if you're sure you are not in the NFZ, the easiest (and most permanent) fix is to rollback your firmware to .700 or earlier. It is this exact type of scenario why I have my MPs running .700 and .400. The app may warn you not to fly and threaten you with similar behavior but the Mavic will ignore those threats. Rollback your DJI Go app and you won't even get the threats.

How to rollback Mavic firmware
Don’t be so sure. I almost had a forced landing over the Gulf of Mexico near Navarre while on .0600. . 0700 might be safe but I can assure you .0600 almost cost me my Mavic.

Don’t be so sure. I almost had a forced landing over the Gulf of Mexico near Navarre while on .0600. . 0700 might be safe but I can assure you .0600 almost cost me my Mavic.

You have to change a certain setting, it can be done easily but the question is should you?

If you are only going a couple of ft above the building I personally can't see a problem as nothing is going to fly skimming the roofs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54