DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to apply for a permit/waiver to fly in a National Park?

NaweG

Reactions
Per the title, I am wondering if there is anything similar to what we have here in Texas where you can apply for a filming permit to the specific park you want (several weeks in advance of your visit, FYI) and that covers flying a drone. No preference given to Part 107 or not though I can imagine a National version that might want proof you know what you’re doing :cool:

Specifically thinking of the following parks (in likelihood of visiting):
Big Bend (though I suspect the border might cause issues)
Guadalupe Mountains National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park (Southern Colorado)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Would also like to fly White Sands since I will be there in October, but given the bases nearby I presume I’m going to have to live with just carrying my 360 camera on a stick.

Thanks!

Why not contact them directly? They're the only ones able to give you the right answer, and whatever you might be told on here you'd still have to contact them to actually get the permit anyway...

Reactions: dawgpilot
Which is why I was asking. It suggests that the superintendent of some parks can grant a permit. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten one from any of the listed parks, and what the restrictions/requirements might be for them.
I was given permission to fly in a National Park by the Superintendent. However, my client was a tenant of the Park...the USCG.

Attachments

• Lightroom (20180516USCG_FTWadsworth_292.dng).jpg
    Lightroom (20180516USCG_FTWadsworth_292.dng).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: NaweG
IOW, offering to provide your footage to the park for their use might be a good idea? Thanks for relating your experience!

IOW, offering to provide your footage to the park for their use might be a good idea? Thanks for relating your experience!
I did NOT offer my footage to the Park for their use. I was asked by the USCG for a specific job they wanted to do , photographing Sector employees. They happened to be a tenant of the National Park. I do NOT ever offer free footage to any government agency. Gratis thank you prints but I do not trade rights for access. That's a slippery slope.

@kadras made reference to a 2014 policy memo. Here's a quote from it. Talk about confusing!

All permits previously issued for unmanned aircraft will be suspended until reviewed and approved by the associate director of the National Park Service’s Visitor and Resource Protection directorate. The associate director must approve any new special use permits authorizing the use of unmanned aircraft. Superintendents who have previously authorized the use of model aircraft for hobbyist or recreational use may allow such use to continue.

I did NOT offer my footage to the Park for their use. I was asked by the USCG for a specific job they wanted to do , photographing Sector employees. They happened to be a tenant of the National Park. I do NOT ever offer free footage to any government agency. Gratis thank you prints but I do not trade rights for access. That's a slippery slope.
He was talking about other people seeking for authorization potentially offering that in return, not of your case.

You are allowed to overfly national parks, just not take off and land or operate from within a national park boundary. However you still need to maintain visual line of sight, etc. You also have to be aware that most national parks are off limits to motorized vehicles except in designated areas, so if you were to land (controlled or uncontrolled) outside of the designated area you'll be in violation. And most of the designated areas are where people are, so no flying over people without part 107 certification and a waiver.

I flew over a section of the Colorado National Monument a few years ago, quite accidentally. Only realized it after the flight and confirmed when I looked at the logs. No warnings or geofencing from DJI Go. And I operated from the other side of the highway, so no violation.

You are allowed to overfly national parks, just not take off and land or operate from within a national park boundary. However you still need to maintain visual line of sight, etc. You also have to be aware that most national parks are off limits to motorized vehicles except in designated areas, so if you were to land (controlled or uncontrolled) outside of the designated area you'll be in violation. And most of the designated areas are where people are, so no flying over people without part 107 certification and a waiver.

I flew over a section of the Colorado National Monument a few years ago, quite accidentally. Only realized it after the flight and confirmed when I looked at the logs. No warnings or geofencing from DJI Go. And I operated from the other side of the highway, so no violation.
Interesting point about overflying national parks
As the FAA appears to be treating drones as unmanned aircraft, assuming you neither take off or land my understanding is that you should be in compliance
( they cannot prohibit aircraft unless it’s a NFZ)

I went to Gooseneck State Park in Utah in May this year to fly there. I asked the attendant at the entrance and was told, no. Then i was told If I take-off from the top of the hill, just outside the park land, it would be ok. Great place!DJI_0316B.jpg

Reactions: Soarmax and BigAl07
Many of the State Parks in Utah allow Drone Flying, but only in the winter months, during the “off” season, from November through February. Requires a $10 permit that can be downloaded from the Parks Website, or gotten at the Ranger Station. Check the webpage for details. This includes Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab, Utah. November is a great time of year to visit Southern Utah.

Many of the State Parks in Utah allow Drone Flying, but only in the winter months, during the “off” season, from November through February. Requires a $10 permit that can be downloaded from the Parks Website, or gotten at the Ranger Station. Check the webpage for details. This includes Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab, Utah. November is a great time of year to visit Southern Utah.
This has since changed slightly. Now, most State Parks in Utah allow flying anytime as long as you complete a permit and pay a $5.00. I think Snow Canyon and Dead Horse Point may be the only two parks that kept the old rules.

You are right about they allow flying in the "off season months", however I was there in May. My first and maybe last visit there.

Just got this in an email from AirMap ... maybe this will help?

“Drones aren’t just for cities and suburbs. They are becoming powerful tools for wildlife research and conservation, especially in previously inaccessible habitats where nature and wildlife abound. Unfortunately, if not flown responsibly by authorized personnel, drones can be a disturbance to wildlife, causing acute or chronic stress to an animal’s health and wellbeing.

AirMap has partnered with the United States Forest Service (USFS) and Tread Lightly!, the national nonprofit for the promotion of responsible recreation, to educate drone users about designated fly zones over public lands as part of Tread Lightly!’s “Respected Access is Open Access—Drones” campaign.

Drone operators can use the AirMap for Drones application for iOS, Android, and Web to find designated fly zones as well as areas where drone use is restricted. By being aware of these designated fly and no-fly zones, drone operators can stop the impact of drones to wildlife before they even start.”

Reactions: asvandyke
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots