DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to get more flight time?

davedrone 178

Reactions
Very disappointed in my Air 2s flight time. Even with my 3850ma battery, I'm only getting 15-16 minutes before I have to bring her back with 15% left. Reaching for my Mini 3 way more because of it's 30 minute flight time. Anything I can do to squeeze out a few extra minutes? Should I be in normal mode all the time instead of sport? What mode would cover 5 miles of distance with the least amount of battery?

I think you should be in normal mode all the time since the normal mode will get about 5 minutes more flight time than the sport mode.

Reactions: buddb55
Hovering eats a ton of battery keeping the drone stable. I consistently get 25 minutes doing time lapse sunset. I know my area and my drone. I land with 10% to 15% battery. I use 150' altitude and Normal mode only. Make sure you start with as close to 100% as possible.

Anything I can do to squeeze out a few extra minutes? Should I be in normal mode all the time instead of sport? What mode would cover 5 miles of distance with the least amount of battery?
Do you want greater time or distance?
They are not the same thing.

If you want longer flight time and distance stay out of Sport Mode.
You will get the best distance/battery at max speed in Normal Mode.
Fighting against the wind, stopping and starting and unnecessary climbing all add to battery consumption.

If you want greater time, DJI tell you in the specs, how to get the greatest time/battery.

Max Flight Time (no wind) 31 minutes
The flight time was measured in a controlled test environment. Specific test conditions are as follows: No wind, at sea level, constant flight speed of 32.4 kph, APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and flying from 100% battery to 0% battery. Results may vary depending on environment, usage scenario, and firmware version.

Last edited:
You are covering about 30% more distance per minute in sport mode. I assume you're
using more than 30% battery in that distance?

You are covering about 30% more distance per minute in sport mode. I assume you're
using more than 30% battery in that distance?
In Sport Mode, the drone tilts further, giving a greater horizontal thrust component.
But it has to rev higher to compensate for the loss of vertical thrust component to maintain altitude.
Using Sport Mode goes faster, but burns battery faster.
The result is less distance per battery than N mode.

Simply said watch the elevation you are flying at and the wind direction and wind speed. Strategize which direction you fly and at what time. I also agree with a prior posting about the use of the Sport mode.

Maybe I'll do a test this weekend. use 20% battery life and see how far I can travel in normal then sport mode.
Also the altitude and the ambient temperature you fly at does make a difference in battery life. Log those and you will see the difference.

Pick near wind-less days. Avoid excessive cold days. Avoid adding any accessories that will create either drag or add weight. Don't pop into sports mode too often.

But I can concur with most others here, I'm typically looking at most 25 minutes with spare battery to accommodate my return back to the take off point, usually I go up, get some video fly bys and do some panoramic shots from about 3 or 4 vantage points and then return.

Also far as battery health itself, I try not to completely drain the batteries to 10% or so. But also I avoid charging the batteries right after a flight, and avoid using the batteries right after being fully charged. Ideally having an hour between discharge and charge prevents excessive wear (I'll usually charge them up a night before I plan on a trip, rather than on the road leading up to the location).

PS: I had a near windless day last week where the gust was at most 3~4mph. It definitely improved my estimated battery indication over the usual parts of the year where there was always around 10mph~15mph wind or more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580