DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to start audio recording on phone when DJI Fly starts?

wysocki

Reactions
I use my MM when on vacations to document the trips, and while I'm flying around shooting scenes, I'd like to narrate the action or view so when I get home I can assemble and edit the footage to create a record of the trip (detailed memory fails me at times!). To do this, it would be essential to have an audio record of my comments about each scene as I'm shooting. I can understand not having a recording made on the MM, but it would be great to have my android phone make a recording of what I'm hearing and saying synced with the footage. Ideally, it should be just included in the cached version of scenes, but not holding my breath for that feature. I'd just like to have a voice recording app start and stop whenever I use the Fly app. Then I could match and sync it with the video later in post prod.

Is there any way to automate that operation on the phone?

Reactions: BlackTR48
You can always download the app "Xrecorder". It is the one you see on most Youtube video's, showing the phone recording of all the drone's telemetry while flying. It does also record everything you are saying, the good and the bad, but all can be edited later.

Great, I'll check that out! Now if there was a way to start and stop recording when the Fly app starts and stops!
There are a variety of macro or scripting apps that might be able to help you accomplish that. I think last week someone posted a routine for Ipads that could start a few things in order with basically one command.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Came up with a decent solution for this: I installed Tasker on my phone. After a bit of learning how to use it, I created an overlay that comes up on top of the DJI Fly app and it creates 2 new buttons:

1. Start/stop voice recording. MP3 audio files are timestamped and kept in the DJI folder on my phone. I can then merge these with video recordings from the Mini in post production.
2. Start/stop screencapture. MP4 video captures of my phone screen are saved in the same manner. Also a long press on the button saves a JPG screenshot.

This approach actually gives me a bit more flexibility over what and when I do the captures. Problem solved!

Attachments

• DJI 8-25-20 15.53 screenshot.png
    DJI 8-25-20 15.53 screenshot.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 47
Came up with a decent solution for this: I installed Tasker on my phone. After a bit of learning how to use it, I created an overlay that comes up on top of the DJI Fly app and it creates 2 new buttons:

1. Start/stop voice recording. MP3 audio files are timestamped and kept in the DJI folder on my phone. I can then merge these with video recordings from the Mini in post production.
2. Start/stop screencapture. MP4 video captures of my phone screen are saved in the same manner. Also a long press on the button saves a JPG screenshot.

This approach actually gives me a bit more flexibility over what and when I do the captures. Problem solved!
Well done!

A shame this is only available for Android.

As @ff22 mentioned in post #5, iOS has a built in app for recording video and audio and it is automatically sync'd . You can add the feature to your iOS "Control Panel" and then you can record just the screen video or turn the mic on for the audio.
Here's a YouTube video that shows how to find the app on your iPhone/iPad.
**Screen Record video and audio**

You can also use a useful script to set up all your settings to start flying and to return them to normal after. I use it to - turn screen brightness to max, phone volume to 90%, turn on airplane mode, start the Fly App start screen recording with audio and also chime to let me know all has been done. Then another script to re-set.
The info on how to do "Shortcuts" is here.
**"Shortcuts" thread**

Reactions: ff22
As @ff22 mentioned in post #5, iOS has a built in app for recording video and audio and it is automatically sync'd . You can add the feature to your iOS "Control Panel" and then you can record just the screen video or turn the mic on for the audio.
Here's a YouTube video that shows how to find the app on your iPhone/iPad.
**Screen Record video and audio**

You can also use a useful script to set up all your settings to start flying and to return them to normal after. I use it to - turn screen brightness to max, phone volume to 90%, turn on airplane mode, start the Fly App start screen recording with audio and also chime to let me know all has been done. Then another script to re-set.
The info on how to do "Shortcuts" is here.
**"Shortcuts" thread**

Thanks.

Hi. I've been playing with Tasker trying to mimic what you've done and can't seem to find the magic. Would you mind sharing your XML code? I did find a similar function on Tasker net, but I haven't found a way to get my real-world app names into the %variables.
Thanks, Keith

[email protected]

Here's the xml file exported from my Tasker DJI project. The profile starts/stops along with the DJI Fly app and runs the DJI-Entry and DJI-Exit tasks (there are a couple of test tasks in there as well). The DJI-Entry starts a scene with the audio/video record buttons on it. The DJI-Exit task does some housekeeping and destroys the scene.

I've had some issues with it working correctly at times due to Android popping up notices that announce "Start recording or casting..." is happening. Anyway, have a look at it, I haven't used DJI Fly in a while so I'm not familiar with what I've done and may not be able to help you much on this.

Attachments

• DJI.prj.xml.zip
    5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Keitho
Here's the xml file exported from my Tasker DJI project. The profile starts/stops along with the DJI Fly app and runs the DJI-Entry and DJI-Exit tasks (there are a couple of test tasks in there as well). The DJI-Entry starts a scene with the audio/video record buttons on it. The DJI-Exit task does some housekeeping and destroys the scene.

I've had some issues with it working correctly at times due to Android popping up notices that announce "Start recording or casting..." is happening. Anyway, have a look at it, I haven't used DJI Fly in a while so I'm not familiar with what I've done and may not be able to help you much on this.
Thanks much. It’s appreciated. I like what I’ve seen of Tasker except for getting started with it. Heheh

On Android I use the AZ screen recorder app. It records whatever is being displayed on the screen, as well as sound. It's useful for later reviewing any telemetry or error messages that might have been displayed during your flight and maybe you didn't see at the time. Recording the audio is great as it will serve as a record of any Karen encounters, if you leave the screen recorder running even after the drone is shutdown. Synchronizing the screen recording to the video recorded by the drone is simple. I just start each recording before taking off, and leave them running the entire time until shutdown after landing. To synchronize, you just need a mark that's simultaneously visible or audible on both recordings. Stand within view of your drone's camera and give one clap of your hands. As long as you can see that clap on both your drone's recording and the screen record, or hear it if you're only recording audio, then bob's your uncle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S