DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody from Silverthorne, CO or surrounding area?

black_magic100

Reactions
Going on the 18th and trying to maximize my trip. Where should I drone? Any place in particular?

I'm on the western slope of CO, Grand Junction. Drones are pretty much a no go at ski areas. Dillon reservoir is right in town, might be some ice related activities going on. Cool water wheel in Idaho Springs, that might make for good drone imagery. And you could always drive up Love Land pass and get some high altitude footage assuming its not too windy.

Reactions: Silverthorne
Does anyone in summit county know of any restriction from flying over the Dillon Reservoir? I was just told by the dam security that I can't fly over the water. I'm planning on contacting Denver water (owners of the reservoir) to see what they have to say. There are absolutely no signs saying "no drones" and DJI maps and Air Maps had no restrictions. My hope is to educate some people that what we do is perfectly legal. I'm pretty familiar with the laws but would love to hear from other pilots. CHEERS!

Reactions: Silverthorne
Does anyone in summit county know of any restriction from flying over the Dillon Reservoir? I was just told by the dam security that I can't fly over the water. I'm planning on contacting Denver water (owners of the reservoir) to see what they have to say. There are absolutely no signs saying "no drones" and DJI maps and Air Maps had no restrictions. My hope is to educate some people that what we do is perfectly legal. I'm pretty familiar with the laws but would love to hear from other pilots. CHEERS!
What?!?!? I never heard of any such law. They can't control the airspace so that is impossible. I would tell them to screw off personally lol. It's probably the safest place you could possibly fly... no people to hit, if it falls out of the sky it falls into water and not a patch of trees etc.

edit: I should clarify they can obviously control if you take off and or land, but honestly that is BS if they really restrict you. I think Breckenridge was the only place down their I flew and I wasn't suppose to, and when I say I flew, I mean I literally launched the drone off in a parking lot 300 feet straight up, did some spins and took it down. I believe they banned it because people were filming forest fires during EMS rescues, which makes sense, but the law doesn't just have to completely remove them. It's not like a law is going to stop an idiot from interfering with an actual crisis...

I've been flying around and over Lake Dillon and over the town of Breckenridge. Did not realize that was not ok?

Around here there are many opportunities for great filming, everywhere. Summit County is extraordinary for all platforms of photography

What?!?!? I never heard of any such law. They can't control the airspace so that is impossible. I would tell them to screw off personally lol. It's probably the safest place you could possibly fly... no people to hit, if it falls out of the sky it falls into water and not a patch of trees etc.

edit: I should clarify they can obviously control if you take off and or land, but honestly that is BS if they really restrict you. I think Breckenridge was the only place down their I flew and I wasn't suppose to, and when I say I flew, I mean I literally launched the drone off in a parking lot 300 feet straight up, did some spins and took it down. I believe they banned it because people were filming forest fires during EMS rescues, which makes sense, but the law doesn't just have to completely remove them. It's not like a law is going to stop an idiot from interfering with an actual crisis...
They do not own or control the Airspace. Next time, I'd tell them to pack sand !

• Haha
Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada