DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody have the Katana for the mavic?

black_magic100

Reactions
Ed Ricker did a video on it here

Somebody in the comments mentioned that if you attach the katana to a lanyard around your neck that it would significantly reduce the "bouncing" that was mentioned in this video. Does anybody have experience with this?

Reactions: pterrill
Skip that thing and just get the Osmo Mobile

ehhh the whole point of the katana is because it is affordable and good enough looking for a hobbyist. Why would I drop $200 for a stabilizer to use with my phone, a camera that does not even shoot 4k? Do you have something against it because this guy appears to shoot incredibly cinematic footage with this simple and cheap device?

ehhh the whole point of the katana is because it is affordable and good enough looking for a hobbyist. Why would I drop $200 for a stabilizer to use with my phone, a camera that does not even shoot 4k? Do you have something against it because this guy appears to shoot incredibly cinematic footage with this simple and cheap device?

I'm well aware of Pete McKinnon -- he lives in my neighbourhood. I guess the Katana Tray is ok in a pinch, but honestly the Mavic's gimbal only moves so far -- and really has a lot less range than a handheld gimbal like the Osmo. McKinnon reviews the tray favourably, but doesn't use it even though he's often traveling with a Mavic -- he takes his footage a little more seriously -- a lot more seriously.

If you've ever tried the Katana Tray (I have), you'll realize that the ergonomics of two fisted shooting just aren't that great, and particularly with walking shots you'll notice a lot of "bob".

As far as your phone goes, most reasonably modern phones shoot 4k, some with a higher bitrate than the Mavic. If yours doesn't shoot 4k, it may well shoot 2.7k at a higher bitrate, which, honestly is preferable. You'll notice that most of McKinnon's online work is downsampled to HD res anyways. Yes, he uses the 4k for more wiggle room in post production, but also note that he is one of the most accomplished editors online*. If you're using cheaper equipment and $100 price difference is an issue, it's less likely that you'd have enough of a system to edit 4k in a frustration-free manor on the desktop.

And finally -- who knows what the lifespan of the Katana tray is? Will it fit the next Mavic? The Osmo Mobile's simple clamping system assures that it'll work with generations of phones to come. And the Osmo was just one suggestion -- a lot of people have positive things to say about this gimbal, which is closer in price.

*I'm a huge fan of his work, and he's a very positive influence to aspiring cinematographers. His "hacks" are particularly inspired

Last edited:
1. "but doesn't use it even though he's often traveling with a Mavic -- he takes his footage a little more seriously -- a lot more seriously."
- That's good for him, but if he really took it that seriously I don't see why he would ever use a Mavic in the first place unless he is doing some serious backpacking that requires a foldable drone. Of course he doesn't use the tray that often, he probably has several $3,000+ cameras with stabilizers that are twice the price of the mavic alone.

2. "and particularly with walking shots you'll notice a lot of "bob"."
- I guess you just failed to read the 3 lines of text that I wrote because that was literally the entire point of this post; I was trying to address that exact issue, lol.

3. "If you're using cheaper equipment and $100 price difference is an issue"
- It's not a $100 price difference even on sale, regardless that's not an issue so much as a matter of "I just dropped a grand on a drone, I'd rather not shell out another 200 on a stabilizer which is something else I will have to figure out how to use properly"

4. "it's less likely that you'd have enough of a system to edit 4k in a frustration-free manor on the desktop"
- My gaming PC would beg to differ.

5. "who knows what the lifespan of the Katana tray is? Will it fit the next Mavic?"
- Idc, I can get it for ~$25, which is the entire reason why I was considering getting it

Edit: Rereading this I hope it does not come off as sarcastic, because it probably is a lil' =).

1. "but doesn't use it even though he's often traveling with a Mavic -- he takes his footage a little more seriously -- a lot more seriously."
- That's good for him, but if he really took it that seriously I don't see why he would ever use a Mavic in the first place unless he is doing some serious backpacking that requires a foldable drone. Of course he doesn't use the tray that often, he probably has several $3,000+ cameras with stabilizers that are twice the price of the mavic alone.

2. "and particularly with walking shots you'll notice a lot of "bob"."
- I guess you just failed to read the 3 lines of text that I wrote because that was literally the entire point of this post; I was trying to address that exact issue, lol.

3. "If you're using cheaper equipment and $100 price difference is an issue"
- It's not a $100 price difference even on sale, regardless that's not an issue so much as a matter of "I just dropped a grand on a drone, I'd rather not shell out another 200 on a stabilizer which is something else I will have to figure out how to use properly"

4. "it's less likely that you'd have enough of a system to edit 4k in a frustration-free manor on the desktop"
- My gaming PC would beg to differ.

5. "who knows what the lifespan of the Katana tray is? Will it fit the next Mavic?"
- Idc, I can get it for ~$25, which is the entire reason why I was considering getting it

Edit: Rereading this I hope it does not come off as sarcastic, because it probably is a lil' =).
It's amazing that you'd come to this forum and ask about a product you've never even tried, seeking advice since your mind is so clearly made up. Why bother? Clearly there's no way you could possibly benefit from anyone's experience.

A difference of opinion is one thing, but being a jerk is not a great way to make people want to be of any assistance to you.

Reactions: GooterFly68
It's amazing that you'd come to this forum and ask about a product you've never even tried, seeking advice since your mind is so clearly made up. Why bother? Clearly there's no way you could possibly benefit from anyone's experience.

A difference of opinion is one thing, but being a jerk is not a great way to make people want to be of any assistance to you.

I said in advance that I hoped it did not come off as sarcastic, but I guess it did more than I thought XD. You didn't really give me your advice in my opinion so much as just told me what to do. I asked a question not necessarily about a product, but about a very specific issue with regards to that product and provided a potential solution to said issue looking for feedback. Your advice was to literally spend more money on better equipment lol, I could have told you that. It sounds as if though YOUR mind has already been made up about the katana and you are now trying to shove your opinion around the internet (reminds me of people on fitness forums who curse the smith machine). If several youtuber's have said this is a good product why should I trust you? Getting easily offended because I made counterpoints doesn't make me want to believe you over these guys who have established credibility. Telling me about ONE issue, which was literally the issue I came here to talk about, and not answering my question does me no good.

Trust me, I am not writing this to waste my time or your time. If I determine the katana has several issues then I will obviously pass and at that point I might start researching the next best option, which sounds like a phone stabilizer/gimbal. At this point I think your jumping to far forward.

Agree. I have the Osmo Mobile. With the iPhone 8 Plus and Filmic app, it’s pretty awesome. I use this for additional video to edit into my Mavic stuff.
I looked the app up and the ratings are not good. Although I will say that I never realized phones could shoot such good video. Do you have any videos that you can post of mavic + phone footage?

Ed Ricker did a video on it here

Somebody in the comments mentioned that if you attach the katana to a lanyard around your neck that it would significantly reduce the "bouncing" that was mentioned in this video. Does anybody have experience with this?
I have it, never used it because I have Osmo Mobile. You can have it...Just pay shipping from CT.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have....

One of the most polarizing questions when it comes to an accessory for your MP. People either hate it, and condemn those who use it, or they love it and sing to the mountains about it. After I posted this video, I found that the majority don't like it. However, I love it. I could probably use it more, but it takes some time to set up, and sometimes I'm in a hurry.

I have it, never used it because I have Osmo Mobile. You can have it...Just pay shipping from CT.

Oh well that's very nice of you. If you pm me the pickup address, weight, and dimensions of the box I can send you a label using my company's account (we get discounted rates).

I have a Katana and it works as well as any other hand held gimbal I've seen. Eliminating the bounce when you walk requires vertical stabalization such as you would get with a steadicam system and a much heavier camera.

I haven't actually used often as there is little call for hand held in my world. I agree that it is cumbersome and time-consuming to assemble and it is that much more to have to haul around, often for no reason. It beats trying to fly indoors by a lot, though.

If there's room to fly even at eye level, the drone does much better than hand held IMO.

What phone do you use/have?

Currently a 6S but been using the Mobile since my old 5S and it always worked fine. Really like the Osmo, tough reliable and easy to use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent