DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone been flying in Chicago around downtown and/or Millennium Park areas?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm looking for my next project and was wondering if anyone had an experience (particularly with authority) flying in Chicago? Anyone who truly knows Chicago knows that the law is what the authority on hand says it is [see Drone Pilot vs Chicago Law. ]. There are a few areas with great visual interest and appeal and it seems a shame to avoid them. I would imagine I'd have to be out super early to avoid people.

Does anyone have an experiences, good or bad flying in the heart of Chicago itself?

I'm looking for my next project and was wondering if anyone had an experience (particularly with authority) flying in Chicago? Anyone who truly knows Chicago knows that the law is what the authority on hand says it is [see Drone Pilot vs Chicago Law. ]. There are a few areas with great visual interest and appeal and it seems a shame to avoid them. I would imagine I'd have to be out super early to avoid people.

Does anyone have an experiences, good or bad flying in the heart of Chicago itself?
I'm curious to know if you got any traction on this question elsewhere? I'm in chicago as well.

I'm curious to know if you got any traction on this question elsewhere? I'm in chicago as well.
Actually I have. Chicago being what it is is a little confusing because of all the different offices and fiefdoms. There is the city in general, then there is the Park District. I was successful in contacting the city and essentially, if flying recreationally make sure to observe the standard rules of no flying over people, keeping VLOS, staying under 400' AGL unless you're a Part 107 pilot and within 400' of tall buildings, being aware of private property and privacy and all the FAA rules and regs. There are some vague contradictions in the city ordinance. I would say that the best thing is to choose a time and place where you'll be far enough away from people as not to draw complaints or draw attention to yourself. Flying over Millenium Park with a lot of folks there would probably constitute a no-no that could get you in trouble.

Flying commercially is a different thing. I don't know if any general permit is needed. I do know that there are some permits available where they have to block traffic for filiming (for a daily fee), and I would suppose those would be acquired through the Chicago Film Office. General flying for commercial purposes is a little vague because it is not addressed in the city ordinance that restricts flight to recreational flying, though it is not totally verboten as permits are issued for filming. I don't recall what I read exactly, but I think a lot of it comes down to who may challenge you if you are flying in the city. As you know Chicago is a strange and sometimes difficult place- unless you know the right people.

That's all I got.

Reactions: goalscrounger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User