DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Ever Hear Of This?

L

Lon Denard

So I was flying and getting some awesome footage. When suddenly my drone "glitched", stopped sending live feed and took off straight up! I'm trying to bring it down when I see another Mavic flying in exactly the same pattern as mine. WTF? I watch in horror as my drone flies into a bridge and into the river! I walk up the path and sure enough, there's another guy with a Mavic controller in his hand and visibly upset! He starts apologizing profusely because he saw my drone crash but his was acting up as well. Once mine crashed, I stopped using the controller and he was able to land his. Has anyone heard of this before? I put in a message to DJI Support, so we'll see what they say. I do have DJI Refresh so maybe that will help. Otherwise, I'll have to make a claim on my insurance. I'm tempted to just go buy another one tomorrow to take advantage of the weather we're having here in Michigan and because I know that State Farm will take care of me if it comes down to that. I guess I'll just take the much neglected motorcycle for a spin, instead. It'll give me a chance to get some 360 footage anyway.

Wow , hate to hear that Lon . Will be interesting seeing what they say .
Glad your covered but that sucks .

Wow , hate to hear that Lon . Will be interesting seeing what they say .
Glad your covered but that sucks .

Yea me too! It won't surprise me if they tell me to kick rocks! I could hardly blame them since I have no way to even prove that it actually crashed. I'll probably just put in a claim to State Farm on Monday. I didn't want to because I've already had one claim this year for a lost drone.

Well I wish you the best on it Lon. Thumbswayup

Bummer. Where you flying underneath a bridge when your Mavic "glitched"?

You say it "..stopped sending live feed .. took off straight up! .................. flies into a bridge and into the river! "

Playing devils advocate here; If the bridge or something else interfered with the signal and led to its loss, return to home would trigger causing a vertical climb to your RTH height, with no protection from obstacles above. Unless of course you had signal loss set to hover.
It is good practice to set Loss of signal behaviour to "Hover" when flying beneath obstacles like bridges or trees or indoors for that matter.

Reactions: Kilrah
Indeed sounds like you may have lost LOS under the bridge, thus lost signal, so RTH initiated starting with a climb to your RTH height that meant hitting the bridge.

Logs would likely be able to confirm.

Bummer. Where you flying underneath a bridge when your Mavic "glitched"?

You say it "..stopped sending live feed .. took off straight up! .................. flies into a bridge and into the river! "

Playing devils advocate here; If the bridge or something else interfered with the signal and led to its loss, return to home would trigger causing a vertical climb to your RTH height, with no protection from obstacles above. Unless of course you had signal loss set to hover.
It is good practice to set Loss of signal behaviour to "Hover" when flying beneath obstacles like bridges or trees or indoors for that matter.

Nah, I felt my post was too long as it was. This went on for a few minutes with the two drones flying in tandem 50' or so apart. I was trying to control mine and he his so neither was responding normally. Once mine crashed, he got control of his and landed if. He was around a bend from me so neither of us could see the other. I had no idea that another guy showed up. Like I said I was already in the air when he launched and bringing it in. When this started I was a about 100' feet up or so. I was around buildings but I was VLOS maybe 200' away at most.

Indeed sounds like you may have lost LOS under the bridge, thus lost signal, so RTH initiated starting with a climb to your RTH height that meant hitting the bridge.

Logs would likely be able to confirm.

Nah I wasn't "under" the bridge, where did you get that idea? I was filming a couple sky scrapers along the river. I actually don't have the balls to fly under bridges! Although, I keep wanting to get that kind of shot. We have about 10 bridges right in a row that I'd like to film that way once I get better acquainted with the platform. I have under 5 hours and 20 flights on it so far. I just got it on the 26th of July! I would have swore that I had it longer and flown more!

Last edited by a moderator:
org_d1a03ca455ec5fc2_1503182548000.jpg Oh and what I meant by "glitched" was that the camera suddenly went down and sideways like it was compensating for a turn and/or climb when I was level and hovering getting some pics. I thought something had hit the Mavic because i was concentrating on the screen to set up my shot. Here's a pic of the scene before the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh I looked at the video again and decided to file a claim with State Farm. It'll be quicker quite frankly and I can go out and buy a new drone today! In fact, Wal-Mart is selling them again x I get 15% off, 90 day return and can buy a 3 year replacement warranty for $70! Off to the store! Hahaha!

Nah I wasn't "under" the bridge, where did you get that idea?.
From you saying when it glitched that it took off straight up,.then you said you watch in horror as my drone flies into a bridge. I interpreted that to mean you were describing as a vertical climb prior to impact, from beneath the bridge.

In any case if you were near the bridge, such a large metallic structure it could have interfered with the compass or signal strength. That said judging by your pre incident shot you were still a distance away so it should have been OK. Sounds like you both found the same inference though flying adjacent to the CBD. Plenty of scope for signal interference there. . Would not be rushing back to fly that location if it was me. Does the log on your mobile device show any error messages before it went bananas?

The 3 year replacement is a joke from Walmart

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242