DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone experience gimbal reset mid-flight?

Mavflyer

Reactions
I was out flying with my MP the other day in good conditions. I was flying as a passenger in a moving vehicle, following the vehicle. I had made it about three miles when the gimbal flipped out. I thought the MP was going down at first because the image i was seeing went from the ground to seeing nothing but blue skies. I thought the pro was upside down until I looked over at it. Luckily that wasn't the case as apparently all it was was the gimbal resetting and it was at its max viewing angle right then.

When I went to look at the footage later, apparently it stopped recording right before the gimbal reset. I also noticed that the file size was right at its 4GB maximum before it starts recording a new file. My guess is there was some problem when it tried to start a new file, so it just reset everything to do with the camera. Anyone experience anything similar? I haven't flown it again since then, but probably will tomorrow.

Reactions: digipix52
Many threads about it, common issue doesn't matter what FW/app you are in it will happen sooner or later and no fix to date.

Many threads about it, common issue doesn't matter what FW/app you are in it will happen sooner or later and no fix to date.

That sucks... I just recently put in a 128GB PNY card and this is the first time out of probably 100 flights that this ever happened. I wonder if the sd card has anything to do with it. I was using 32 and 64GB Sandisk cards before.

I doubt it . It happens .

That sucks... I just recently put in a 128GB PNY card and this is the first time out of probably 100 flights that this ever happened. I wonder if the sd card has anything to do with it. I was using 32 and 64GB Sandisk cards before.

Some people seem to solve their gimbal issues by changing memory cards. Try going back to using your previous cards.

Yes you are right. It’s due to sd card. Happened with me today after I put my new 64gb sd card

Reactions: Opabob
I was out flying with my MP the other day in good conditions. I was flying as a passenger in a moving vehicle, following the vehicle. I had made it about three miles when the gimbal flipped out. I thought the MP was going down at first because the image i was seeing went from the ground to seeing nothing but blue skies. I thought the pro was upside down until I looked over at it. Luckily that wasn't the case as apparently all it was was the gimbal resetting and it was at its max viewing angle right then.

When I went to look at the footage later, apparently it stopped recording right before the gimbal reset. I also noticed that the file size was right at its 4GB maximum before it starts recording a new file. My guess is there was some problem when it tried to start a new file, so it just reset everything to do with the camera. Anyone experience anything similar? I haven't flown it again since then, but probably will tomorrow.
I had the same issue yesterday which I start recording with my new card. I did a test today once again and I can confirm it’s due to micro sd card ...

I'm going to use the old cards for a while and see if it happens anymore.

I have had this gimbal reset happen twice in ~100 flights. The SD card I am using is not the 16GB one that came with the MPP but a 64GB card which I had been using previously in my Spark with no issues. Both are made by SanDisk and are good quality high speed cards. Any idea why an SD card would cause the gimbal reset?

I have had this gimbal reset happen twice in ~100 flights. The SD card I am using is not the 16GB one that came with the MPP but a 64GB card which I had been using previously in my Spark with no issues. Both are made by SanDisk and are good quality high speed cards. Any idea why an SD card would cause the gimbal reset?
I found this issue with 64gb card only. What I noticed is 64gb comes with exfat format where 16 and 32gb comes with fat32 format. My gut feeling is that it’s due to the format of the sd card. I get my gimbal rest at every 9.20 mins while recording in 4K 24fps. I think dji should address this issue. Moreover I noticed while taking HDR pic it takes time on 64gb compare to 32gb ,16gb. Try to do some testing while hovering your Mavic in line of site with your 64gb card. Take pics and soon after press record at 4K it should reset ...

Interesting I have had the same issue with the gimbal resets and I am using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB card (Red and Grey)
I will try a Lexar 64GB which is much faster and report back

Interesting I have had the same issue with the gimbal resets and I am using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB card (Red and Grey)
I had same issue with sandisk card red and gray. Seems like issue with card . I changed and it didn’t

I had the same issue yesterday which I start recording with my new card. I did a test today once again and I can confirm it’s due to micro sd card ...
Wait for it, it will happen again...............

ive been using a 32gb sd card and have never expeirienced this, I will test with a 64gb card should be interesting

Red & Gold is what you need

I had the same issue on a drone I bought second-hand. He’d only flown it once and decided he didn’t want it, and since I had sent mine in for repair he offered to sell it to me. Come to find out he did have a little crash on his first flight. He was indoors and it got too close to the window.

Anyway, there wasn’t a scratch on it and in my first couple flights I had no issues. However, there was a few times I took it out and while flying the gimbal would very slowing aim downward and I’d have to aim it back up with the angle adjustment on my remote. Then it would slowly aim downward again. On those same days, it would do the gimble reset like described above. I did all the usual resets and calibrations and that didn’t help. Even did it without the SD card in.

I sent the drone in. Their quote was about $150. No Dji Care on this one, so I paid it. A few days later I had a new/refurb unit delivered and haven’t had any problems. As stated above, this is a common problem. And if it makes any difference, he initially purchased this drone about 18 months ago.

I had the same issue on a drone I bought second-hand. He’d only flown it once and decided he didn’t want it, and since I had sent mine in for repair he offered to sell it to me. Come to find out he did have a little crash on his first flight. He was indoors and it got too close to the window.

Anyway, there wasn’t a scratch on it and in my first couple flights I had no issues. However, there was a few times I took it out and while flying the gimbal would very slowing aim downward and I’d have to aim it back up with the angle adjustment on my remote. Then it would slowly aim downward again. On those same days, it would do the gimble reset like described above. I did all the usual resets and calibrations and that didn’t help. Even did it without the SD card in.

I sent the drone in. Their quote was about $150. No Dji Care on this one, so I paid it. A few days later I had a new/refurb unit delivered and haven’t had any problems. As stated above, this is a common problem. And if it makes any difference, he initially purchased this drone about 18 months ago.
Hi, I have been reading numerous posts about Gimbal resets. I had 3 in a short place of time on the 21st Sep, with a 4th on the 22 which resulted in me crashing into a tree (loss of video feed). Gimbal destroyed, complete assembly had to be replaced. Right rear motor arm also replaced. Since then no further resets, with the same SD card. The more I think about this, DJI are doing nothing to resolve this issue, nor address it. They love stating pilot error. Not DJI inherent defects errors!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa