DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flew above cloud yet?

Fadly

Reactions
Have any mavic mini owner pushed their drone to climb above the low cloud? I mean taking off from almost sea level and climb until you are above the cloud, not taking off from high altitude.

The altitude limit in the U.S. is 400 feet and you have to keep the drone within line of sight (not hidden behind a cloud) so I'm not sure if you'll get many responses from this side of the pond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Я пролетал над облаками в горах Словакии. Задача была сделать спуск, дрон не реагировал на клюшку. Включил Спорт и все закончилось хорошо. Я подозреваю, что мешали нижние датчики.

Yes i'm aware of the downward sensor problem. Not expecting to fly directly above the cloud. Just above the cloud level.

I noticed the altitude setting. So is that means the drone will not allow me to ascend any higher?

That Alt limit is Hard Coded into the Firmware. Without some extensive hacking you're not going to get it to ascend any higher than that level from it's take off point.

With that being said, depending the weather etc someone could, in theory, fly higher than the clouds at just a couple hundred feet.

Wonder if you couldn’t legally get there if you flew within 400 feet of a tall mountain and set the altitude limit to max?

The height from the take-off point in this photo is about 50 meters. In the High Tatras there are many places where hiking trails are already above the clouds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-211616.png
    Screenshot_20191202-211616.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 237
i have been up Snowdon where the clouds were below where i was standing ,on the Snowdon mountain railway station at the very top,it is an amazing view so if i had taken off then i would have been above the clouds,this was many years ago before i got into drone flying

Reactions: Slawaw
That Alt limit is Hard Coded into the Firmware. Without some extensive hacking you're not going to get it to ascend any higher than that level from it's take off point.

With that being said, depending the weather etc someone could, in theory, fly higher than the clouds at just a couple hundred feet.
You could be lucky enough to catch an inversion.

i have been up Snowdon where the clouds were below where i was standing ,on the Snowdon mountain railway station at the very top,it is an amazing view so if i had taken off then i would have been above the clouds,this was many years ago before i got into drone flying
Yeah, I was wild camping in the Lake District and caught a fabulous inversion with my MA.

Reactions: old man mavic
It can be done while complying with regulations. Just have to pick your clouds carefully. Technically I flew through two cloud layers below about 150 ft while within my visual line of sight.

Attachments

• abovethecloud.jpg
    abovethecloud.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: TDZHDTV
Would you seriously want to fly through moisture laden clouds?
Don’t want to take chances with my drone....it cost enough.
There’s also the legality issue to bear in mind.

Just fly above fog. When you're above it it will look like clouds below you, legally. It's a really cool view too.
Maybe not legal since it might be out of sight, even close to you, you can hear it though

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121