DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flew their drone into a firework in the UK recently? If so please share experience

Danny Panini

Reactions
Anyone flew their drone into a firework in the UK recently? If so please share experience

I was flying last weekend, early evening 4th of November for about an hour (three batteries) just packed all my stuff up then the fireworks started... I missed out by about 10/15 minutes, totally gutted... I must admit I forgot about them otherwise my timing would have been better. Oh well next year:rolleyes:

If permitted, someone posted some shots, not video, on the DJI site. It might have been in Ireland?

Fireworks go up at night generally. In the UK its illegal to fly at night.

Fireworks go up at night generally. In the UK its illegal to fly at night.

Are you sure about that, as far as I know it is not "illegal" to fly at night in the UK so long as you maintain visual contact with the drone.

(by "illegal" I presume you mean "against the drone code / recommendations", since the only actual legal thing at the moment is don't fly above 120m or within 1km of an airport boundary)

Are you sure about that, as far as I know it is not "illegal" to fly at night in the UK so long as you maintain visual contact with the drone.

(by "illegal" I presume you mean "against the drone code / recommendations", since the only actual legal thing at the moment is don't fly above 120m or within 1km of an airport boundary)
+1 I fly at night in the UK all the time but stick to line of sight plus height restrictions which at night is actually easier to keep track of the lights. Your missing a lot of fun flying if you dnt fly at night

If you're looking for replies maybe you should be more specific and elaborate.

lol ok britain then haha. Because many people got educated by the police flying around firework lately so wanted see if people had issues flying during a firework event. Now police or event host are starting to use DJI Aeroscope where the DJI you buy has a function to send signal to the nearest receiver so they can see everything. Your phone gps location, model number, trace, home point to let the police to find you. Etc. Completely open. So this post is to figure where is the cut off between can and cant from your experience.

Well the drone safe rules only say you should not fly within 150 metres of crowds/built up areas. Provided you comply with that (which you may or may not be able to, depending on the location of the fireworks), there should be no problem, unless they think you are causing a public nuisance or something like that. If they want to stop you they will find some slightly vague law to do it.

So for example near me in the UK there is a big area of common land where they hold a bonfire/fireworks. It's well outside any built up areas, so as long as you kept away from the crowd you would be ok. However they also do a firework display over the main shopping centre in the town centre. You would not be able to fly near that because of the built up area rule.

The best firework display near me is hosted by the police at their social club. I was sorely tempted to take my drone because it really is a top event but thought that I may be pushing my luck :)

The best firework display near me is hosted by the police at their social club. I was sorely tempted to take my drone because it really is a top event but thought that I may be pushing my luck :)
Put blue film over your lights and they would have been non the wiser I’m sure Thumbswayup

Well the drone safe rules only say you should not fly within 150 metres of crowds/built up areas. Provided you comply with that (which you may or may not be able to, depending on the location of the fireworks), there should be no problem, unless they think you are causing a public nuisance or something like that. If they want to stop you they will find some slightly vague law to do it.

So for example near me in the UK there is a big area of common land where they hold a bonfire/fireworks. It's well outside any built up areas, so as long as you kept away from the crowd you would be ok. However they also do a firework display over the main shopping centre in the town centre. You would not be able to fly near that because of the built up area rule.
The definition of built up areas is basically city, so it means i cant fly in the city as far as i understands it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7