DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone had troubles with bottom USB-c port on Mini2/A2s/M3 controller?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'd posted something similar in a different thread thinking the problem was with my iPad. But it appears that my issue is the the Mini 2's controller. Sometimes I want to separate the iPhone or iPad from the controller a longer extension cable (2ft). I thought it would be easy and just use the USB-c port NOT near the antenna, but on the bottom of the controller.

Whether I use a USB-c/USB-c cable, USB-c/lightning cable the result is the same. The top port will create a connection, but the bottom port does not allow connectivity between my devices and the controller. Does anyone else have an issue connecting via the bottom port?

April 4, 2022 33927 PM EDT.png

@MA2 317 ,the port on the bottom of the RC does not link to a screen device for use when you are flying @Yorkshire_Pud is correct in that respect

Reactions: Gagey52 and MA2 317
@MA2 317 sorry fellow flyer i should have addressed my post to the OP

Reactions: Gagey52 and MA2 317
Thanks. Interesting how the Mavic 2 controller can connect the device to the 2nd port but not this one. It is good to know. I'm wondering why DJI abandoned the port for device connectivity? IMO the Mavic 2 controller was/is so superior to their new "standard" controller, in almost every way.

Reactions: MA2 317
Everying about the control of Fly app using drones is dumbed-down when compared to Go or GO4 using drones.

Reactions: vindibona1
Everying about the control of Fly app using drones is dumbed-down when compared to Go or GO4 using drones.
DJI is doing a great job of squeezing margins; dumbing down a lot of features (and hardware) while raising prices more conspicuously more than the "upgrades" deserve. Can't wait to see the pricing on the Mini 3. Should be interesting. After all, they're DJI and nobody so far has been able to knock them off their high horse. If only Autel could get their act together it might create some competition and cause DJI to provide more bang for the buck.

DJI is doing a great job of squeezing margins; dumbing down a lot of features (and hardware) while raising prices more conspicuously more than the "upgrades" deserve. Can't wait to see the pricing on the Mini 3. Should be interesting. After all, they're DJI and nobody so far has been able to knock them off their high horse. If only Autel could get their act together it might create some competition and cause DJI to provide more bang for the buck.
Agree with you but about Autel doing a good price competition with DJI. The Evo Nano + is the Mini direct competition and even though they made a very good sub 250g drone the retail price is twice the Mini-2. Just doing this opened the possibility to DJI to increase Mini 3 price as high as they want.

Agree with you but about Autel doing a good price competition with DJI. The Evo Nano + is the Mini direct competition and even though they made a very good sub 250g drone the retail price is twice the Mini-2. Just doing this opened the possibility to DJI to increase Mini 3 price as high as they want.
Yeah.... You're right. I'm looking to see how the Autel Evo Lite + ultimately shakes out. It does not have some of the advanced features of the M3, but the picture quality is stunning and the price point is right around where the M2P was. I have to wonder what the EVO III will be like? Admittedly, DJI drones do an excellent job, but often DJI's practices and pricing seem a bit predatory. For $3000 you can buy an M3 with the same controller as the Mini 2. What's up with that, especially as DJI's M2 controller is head and shoulders better at a much lower price point. Also, their blasted geofencing. I can understand needing to do that in China. Is that really needed in the US (and elsewhere)? Having said this before, proof of a Part 107 certification should be able to totally unlock geofencing, the owner having proven to know the rules and how to get authorization for restricted areas. Perhaps it's mostly me, but I've wrestled with geofencing, not always getting fully unlocked even with proper authorizations and waivers. JMO

I never thought about the function of the rear USB C connection on the RC. I've just taken it for granted that this was for charging the RC. The connection between the RC and a video device (be it phone or tablet) is in the "well" at the top of the controller. The one connection there is a USB C, and I think at least 3 cables are provided with an end that connects to a video device. In my case that other end is a Micro USB (Micro C) for Samsung. I've been figuring that the connection from RC to the computer was through DJI Fly.

I never thought about the function of the rear USB C connection on the RC. I've just taken it for granted that this was for charging the RC. The connection between the RC and a video device (be it phone or tablet) is in the "well" at the top of the controller. The one connection there is a USB C, and I think at least 3 cables are provided with an end that connects to a video device. In my case that other end is a Micro USB (Micro C) for Samsung. I've been figuring that the connection from RC to the computer was through DJI Fly.
I presumed the bottom USB-c could connect to the phone/tablet as the USB-A does with my Mavic 2 controller. Yet another downgraded feature with DJI's now "standard" controller.

I presumed the bottom USB-c could connect to the phone/tablet as the USB-A does with my Mavic 2 controller. Yet another downgraded feature with DJI's now "standard" controller.

Just to be clear, the controller bundled with the Mini 2 has 2 USB-C ports, one at the top, which connects the controller to the phone/tablet, and one at the bottom, which simply charges the controller's built-in battery. You can connect to both at the same time, but the top is data-only and the bottom is charge-only. Not sure the pros of being able to connect the bottom usb c port to the tablet/phone. I suppose it would be nice, but it isn't really necessary.

The bigger, and real issue that I am having, is that the controller that comes with the Mini 2 does not seem to work with any of the M1-powered iPads, which is both the iPad Air and iPad Pro.

I had a 6th gen iPad but I starting to constantly get the 'Mobile CPU Overloaded' message, so I started to use my work iPad air (4th gen) and it works no issue. It has a USB-C port, I fit it into my tablet bracket-to-controller adapter, and plug it into the top USB-C and it works. Zero issues.

Looking online I see this post from 2021-10-29 (last updated 2022-04-26, so about 3 weeks ago) DJI Fly V 1.4.12 not connect to controller on Ipad pro with IOS 15 that is complaining about this problem with no real solution, other than to try plugging your controller into power before connecting to the iPad, and then disconnecting. This isn't Neon Genesis Evangelion, I shouldn't need a wall outlet to turn on my drone.

Last edited:
The manual's diagram key mentions charging and connection to a computer, it DOES NOT mention use as a port to drive the screen device.
From memory it does not drive the screen device with any of my mini 2 controllers, I suspect it is not intended to do so.
The port that drives the screen device (phone or tablet) is in the "well" where you'll find the antennas and the USB cables. (I believe there is a USB C, to USB C, a USB C to USB Micro, and a USB C to Lightning cable.) I haven't tried connecting the controller to my computer. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
The port that drives the screen device (phone or tablet) is in the "well" where you'll find the antennas and the USB cables. (I believe there is a USB C, to USB C, a USB C to USB Micro, and a USB C to Lightning cable.) I haven't tried connecting the controller to my computer. Should be interesting.
Thank you but if you read the opening post again you will see that Vindibona1 says
"The top port will create a connection but the bottom port does not allow connectivity between my devices and the controller. Does anyone else have an issue connecting via the bottom port?"
The "top port" being the one in your "well"....., my post concerned Vindibona1's "bottom port" (though that does sound unintentionally rude lol).

Thank you but if you read the opening post again you will see that Vindibona1 says
"The top port will create a connection but the bottom port does not allow connectivity between my devices and the controller. Does anyone else have an issue connecting via the bottom port?"
The "top port" being the one in your "well"....., my post concerned Vindibona1's "bottom port" (though that does sound unintentionally rude lol).
I just call it the "well" because that seems to be it's purpose. A place to stuff the three cables that come with the RC-N1 controller, and a place to house the Antenna unless they need to be extended. It's the first time I've seen a USB C to Lightning adapter. Some sort of Apple thing I guess.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000