DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone here live in Santa Clarita, CA?

GoBigGuy

Reactions
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone here lives in Santa Clarita, CA? Would be nice to meet someone local to me so I can get the do's and don'ts of our town.

Best,

Jeff

I’m over near La Mesa JR high school. Just been flying in empty lots around here and the neighborhood. Want to try up near Placerita Canyon and up Bouquet Canyon and some abandon parks.

Nice video. Anyone bother you there? Is it legal to fly there?

No one bugged me while I was there and in fact there want another guy flying his drone.

I know we aren’t supposed to fly in any parks in our valley but have heard as long as you’re not flying crazy or like an idiot the police will leave you alone

I watched your video again. What did you use to edit and combine the different shots? Seems very professional.

I went to Vasques Rocks a few weeks ago which was a blast

Nice video work! I live in Stevenson Ranch and am currently taking a video editing course at COC. Looking forward to being able to put together smooth mavic video soon.

No one bugged me while I was there and in fact there want another guy flying his drone.

I know we aren’t supposed to fly in any parks in our valley but have heard as long as you’re not flying crazy or like an idiot the police will leave you alone
I have flown in Central Park several times, most people are interested, but no hassles.
I have also flown out of the upper COC parking lot which gives you good VLOS for a long way.

Last edited:
Do either of you know if the city of Santa Clarita has any official drone policy, or if the Sheriff's are using them?

I use to fly at Central Park s few years ago. Then signs appeared the said no drones or rc’s were allowed in city parks. Also they have the same signs at the park behind Home Depot where the skate park is.

I use to fly at Central Park s few years ago. Then signs appeared the said no drones or rc’s were allowed in city parks. Also they have the same signs at the park behind Home Depot where the skate park is.
I haven't noticed any signs, and I fly way in the back by the dog park.

Hi Guys, I just joined the group, I recently bought a Mavic Air. I'm very excited with the drone, but so annoyed to see that it's impossibile to fly it legally. The law is more concerned about drones that guns. Where do you guys fly them near Santa Clarita? Here is full of Heliport, by law we should contact them before flying, have you were able to do that?

Hi Guys, I just joined the group, I recently bought a Mavic Air. I'm very excited with the drone, but so annoyed to discover it's nearly impossible to fly it legally. The law is more concerned about drones that guns. Where do you guys fly them near Santa Clarita? Here is full of Heliport, by law we should contact them before flying, have you were able to do that?

Yes, we live in Santa Clarita and recently purchased our first drone, but very disappointed to discover there's no where in SCV to fly legally. Flying drones at parks and open areas in Santa Clarita are all illegal. I read in a forum somewhere that it was okay to fly in Stevenson Ranch parks, but that's not true. I was at Richard Rioux park today and a cop stopped and shut me down. I guess I should be happy I did not get a citation. Then, I'm hearing about a location in Castaic but I hear that's a private club with a limited membership and of course, a membership costs money. I guess I could go in my yard and fly straight up, but that's not fun. Also, there are power lines nearby and trees that obstruct my line of sight.

I have seen others report they are flying at the backend of Central Park without the police bothering them, but for me, it's just not fun feeling like I'm committing a crime and dodging the cops.

According to Santa Clarita laws, you can only fly in parks with the approval of a park official. I wonder if other drone flyers would be interested in forming a group? Perhaps approach a park director about designating a weekly time a drone club could meet and fly? Ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Most parks in Santa Clarita are posted no drones. Ive flown in vacant fields all around Santa Clarita and have never had a problem. The rules I follow is never fly near schools with kids present, never fly over people or directly over roads with cars, and be careful when flying over homes lower than 100 feet. Also, stay below 400 feet at all times.

Ron

Hey everyone! I’m new to flying drones and I’m from the Santa Clarita area, hoping to connect with some other drone enthusiasts :)

I took mine up over the Haskell Open Space around where the SCV Archery range is located. There are power lines to watch out for, and homes, but plenty of space to keep a drone out of earshot. I was hoping to practice some tracking/follow shots with my daughter on her bike at Central Park, but that doesn't like such a good idea now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore