DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Ottawa?

Here's a shot taken while flying at Mer Bleue Bog this past weekend. Quite chilly on the hands!
zoVQ1TV.jpg

Reactions: TaCtIkX and IZON
Look for cruising off duty on YouTube. He is from Ottawa and seems like a class act. You might even get a chance to fly together.

Upper Ottawa Valley chiming in! Any UAV pilots up this way interested in doing some flying sound off! Yeah it's a bit chilly and wintery but that ain't gonna stop us!

Just curious who else is out flying around in -18 Degrees!

Cheers,

Michael
Haven't been out when it is that cold but I have been out as low as -5, mostly though because the iPhone sucks in cold weather and you are likely to lose it after about five minutes in anything below 0 or -1. I think the drone is more dependable although specs so -10 is the low limit.

Haven't been out when it is that cold but I have been out as low as -5, mostly though because the iPhone sucks in cold weather and you are likely to lose it after about five minutes in anything below 0 or -1. I think the drone is more dependable although specs so -10 is the low limit.

For what it's worth, I've been out in much colder than -10... didn't track precisely, but guessing at least -18C or lower. From what I've read in other threads, posts, and YouTube videos on the subject, the most important thing is to keep your batteries warm until you're actually in-flight. Also, be careful in high humidity/very cold. I found ice buildup on the leading edges of my rotors after a short flight on that occasion; I'm lucky that that didn't end up much worse.

Out in Stittsville here - "Cruising Off Duty" said he may try and put together a meetup this spring. He'll announce on his facebook page.

Hi, I'm in the Cornwall area. Don't have my Mavic yet. It's on order. Patiently waiting. Any one down in Cornwall area?

Finally got the Mavic. Now if the weather can just warm up I will be ready to do the maiden flight.

just had a flight this morning in Montreal about -10 ... Galaxy S7E did really good in cold weather, 50minutes flight took 9% battery in that temperature

So, with the new Transport Canada regulations in effect, I'm shopping around for ideas of places to fly now. I've previously used Mer Bleue Bog (as you can see from further up in this post), and that continues to look OK, so long as I stay the requisite distance from other people. Until the weather improves, though, well, it's not all that interesting for aerial photography. Gatineau Park is a maybe - you can't take off/land in the park, but can fly over it (in the unrestricted/uncontrolled areas). The challenge is finding a suitable/accessible/legal take-off point. I also came across some possibilities along the Rideau Trail that might be scenic. There appears to be the tiniest sliver of legal flight zone along the Ottawa River: between 45.361352°, -75.874012°, and 45.361411°, -75.866752° along Greenbelt Trail 10.

What makes me uncomfortable is that most of these spots rely on the NCC. As far as I've been able to find, NCC has not banned drones (yet).

Does anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions?

Reactions: Budmancan
i'm in ottawa as well.
Been flying a couple of years now and just started venturing into the commercial world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803