DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Sonoma County?

I'm looking for drone pilots in Sonoma County (North SF Bay Area) who do meetups or just casual hangouts.

Thanks!
I am in Santa Rosa. Rincon Valley. I would be interested in meeting up sometime. The only friends of mine that have drones live out of town or our schedules never match up. My name is Danny

Reactions: NorCalCorax
Hey guys! Thanks for responding. I'm Joe. I live in Santa Rosa. Where are some good places to fly around here? I'd love to plan a day to get together and fly

Hey guys! Thanks for responding. I'm Joe. I live in Santa Rosa. Where are some good places to fly around here? I'd love to plan a day to get together and fly
[/QUOT

I am in San Rafael and always looking for legal places to fly. I was thinking bodega bay might be somewhat open but am not sure. No controlled airspace there but what about state parks? It is outside the GGNRA.

I'm new to this whole thing. Just picked up the Mavic Mini and I am in Northeast Santa Rosa. Looking for places to put this new toy (and me) through the paces....ideas welcome.

I'm new to this whole thing. Just picked up the Mavic Mini and I am in Northeast Santa Rosa. Looking for places to put this new toy (and me) through the paces....ideas welcome.
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby. Bodega Bay has some picturesque spots to fly and test out your video and photography skills. The lower campsite is drone-friendly and gives you a chance to practice flying over water and getting footage of water skiers.

When we’re allowed to group up again, a few of us are planning to meet up with another fellow forum member on the Russian River, around Duncan’s Mill. I just can’t wait to sit in a cafe again, and simply enjoy breakfast. Apparently excellent footage is available from the cafe parking lot.

And up your way, I would imagine you could get beautiful footage over the vineyards.

I am in San Rafael and always looking for legal places to fly. I was thinking bodega bay might be somewhat open but am not sure. No controlled airspace there but what about state parks? It is outside the GGNRA.
Bodega bay is pretty much NFZ. There is a short stretch of coast north of Dillon beach to Bodega Bay that is OK. Its mostly inaccessible by road.

Bodega bay is pretty much NFZ.
Is there a posted regulation online regarding drones at Bodega Bay?

I’m not saying there is not, but I want to ensure we all know, if so. We’ve been there a couple times since April, always respectfully asking local law enforcement. I’m always reminded not to fly above people or moving vehicles, and to avoid wildlife. But no one has told us not to fly.

This CA State Parks page starts with “Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent’s posted order.”

Last edited:
I'm here in Santa Rosa as well. I got my MMini yesterday and flew at place to play. Gonna head out again in a half hour or so as well. It's nice that they support RC there as they have a dirt track. Looking for more adventurous places though. Considering Cow Mtn in Ukiah

Reactions: pelagic_one
Is there a posted regulation online regarding drones at Bodega Bay?

I’m not saying there is not, but I want to ensure we all know, if so. We’ve been there a couple times since April, always respectfully asking local law enforcement. I’m always reminded not to fly above people or moving vehicles, and to avoid wildlife. But no one has told us not to fly.

This CA State Parks page starts with “Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent’s posted order.”

Unfortunately, the District Superintendent over all the state parks in Sonoma County has prohibited drones.

Unfortunately, the District Superintendent over all the state parks in Sonoma County has prohibited drones.
Thank you for the information. If anyone needs the Sonoma County code, see Sections 20-19 and 20-30 for the specific verbiage: Municode Library

• Sec. 20-19. - Recreation confined to specific areas.No person shall drive, putt or in any other fashion, play or practice golf or use golf balls, or fly model airplanes on or over land, or operate model boats or model automobiles, or model craft of any kind or description, or other activities that endanger or disturb persons, in the park, except in areas set aside for these specific activities in accordance with rules and regulations prescribed by the park authority.
    (Ord. No. 1832 § 2.)

• Sec. 20-30. - Aircraft. No person shall land any aircraft on or take any aircraft off any body of water or any land area in the park.
    (Ord. No. 1832 § 2.)

• There are still dozens of great places to fly all over NorCal!

Thank you for the information. If anyone needs the Sonoma County code, see Sections 20-19 and 20-30 for the specific verbiage: Municode Library

• Sec. 20-19. - Recreation confined to specific areas.No person shall drive, putt or in any other fashion, play or practice golf or use golf balls, or fly model airplanes on or over land, or operate model boats or model automobiles, or model craft of any kind or description, or other activities that endanger or disturb persons, in the park, except in areas set aside for these specific activities in accordance with rules and regulations prescribed by the park authority.
    (Ord. No. 1832 § 2.)

• Sec. 20-30. - Aircraft. No person shall land any aircraft on or take any aircraft off any body of water or any land area in the park.
    (Ord. No. 1832 § 2.)

• There are still dozens of great places to fly all over NorCal!
I am pretty new to Sonoma but it seems the county is really restrictive in a lot of things :-(

I'm late to the party! I'm Tom and live near the JC in Santa Rosa. I need to get some flight time under my belt (a total of one flight up and down my driveway thus far), but I would also be interested in meeting up once we are able to!

Place to play on w3rd seems like a fine place. Ive flown there a handful of times with no issues. Although there is a 150ft ceiling due to the airport
Thanks for the heads up! I've heard Place to Play mentioned a few times. I'll have to try it out for some lower altitude practice. I did take the Mavic Air 2 up for my 2nd and 3rd flights. Straight up from my driveway, rotated around at about 150', and down for a landing. Another up to 200' for about 5 minutes to catch the sunset. It was fairly nice, but I do need to get some lower altitude controls practice under my belt.

The winds were already picking up aloft when I was up there. I heard the drone surging, but it did a fantastic job of maintaining altitude and location. I look forward to meeting some of you, and learning a bunch. It seems like we have a pretty good community here - where to fly, where not to fly, meetups. Thanks everyone!

-Tom

I do have a question for you fine folks. This one relates to the fires in the area.

I noted on the DJI Fly app the GEO zone. On AIRMAP, as well as the FAA Website for TFR, I am outside the bounds of the TFR. Going forward, say i've unlocked the GEO zone, but would of course adhere to the TFR by not crossing (or even approaching, really) the bounds. Does this flight fall more under "good judgement" - as in.. don't fly because people will be upset? It is technically within the bounds of legal flight, but may be in poor taste.

FDC 0/3271

How do you folks approach situations such as this? Last thing I want is to be another "drone in the sky during a fire" so I won't take it up.

Thanks,
Tom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS