DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Know what this antenna is for?? Helicopter Belly Antenna??

mrreddog

Reactions
During the rioting, I managed to get a screenshot of the belly of the Police or News Chopper and seen this weird antenna, anyone know what this is?? Areoscope? Microwave Feed? Radio Comms??Heli antenna riots.PNG

During the rioting, I managed to get a screenshot of the belly of the Police or News Chopper and seen this weird antenna, anyone know what this is?? Areoscope? Microwave Feed? Radio Comms??View attachment 104591
This is most likely the transmission antenna for the live feed for the station to pick up on. Some use high power transmitters like this and some use 4G network data to transmit the same thing but a smaller antenna.

Reactions: TampaTC and Cw4bray
It's a directional Yagi array for a fairly high frequency. The antenna probably rotates autonomously to point in the correct direction.

Reactions: TampaTC
Microwave from the TV camera, the helicopters only GPS receiver is used to "steer" this antenna towards the receiver on the ground, depending on the location, their may be several ground receivers because you can't shoot through mountains or tall buildings, the correct ground receiver is selected by the pilots GPS. When not lit-up, or broadcasting, that same GPS can be used for navigating the helicopter. In recent years these systems have been upgraded from SD to HD for better picture quality. As can be seen from this picture, the camera can't shoot through the antenna and the antenna can't shoot through the camera.

Reactions: mrreddog
Thanks guys, I figured it was was some kind of video feed-up/down link micro wave setup. I have yet to see how they are implementing Aeroscope into Heli's, and what that antena array looks like for a mobile unit?? Ive seen the ground & airport antenna array, just curious..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters