DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone near me?

Reactions
I am a brand new first time owner and recreational operator of a drone. I am in the Hudson Valley area of New York. More specifically on the boarder Orange and Ulster County. Turns out my house sits in classified area. I am looking for suggestions as to where I can go for a wide open space that I am allowed to operate my drone. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I am a brand new first time owner and recreational operator of a drone. I am in the Hudson Valley area of New York. More specifically on the boarder Orange and Ulster County. Turns out my house sits in classified area. I am looking for suggestions as to where I can go for a wide open space that I am allowed to operate my drone. Any suggestions?

Try looking under local and regional discussions if there's nothing listed make one to put you name out there , it may help speed up a contact.;)Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

On AIrMap if you get west of 9W, like on Willow Tree Rd, you get out of the controlled airspace. Further north Mackey Rd is not in controlled airspace. Depending on NY laws Fanny Reese State Park might be a place to fly. It is not in FAA controlled airspace, but make sure you check NY State laws and regs.

Good luck

On AIrMap if you get west of 9W, like on Willow Tree Rd, you get out of the controlled airspace. Further north Mackey Rd is not in controlled airspace. Depending on NY laws Fanny Reese State Park might be a place to fly. It is not in FAA controlled airspace, but make sure you check NY State laws and regs.

Good luck
Thanks! I get the FAA air regs, I'm having difficulty finding out the NY State regulations, laws or ordinances. I know I can not operate in national parks, but I can't find info on state parks here in NY or anything else for that matter. This is where I'm struggling.

Well you can, technically, fly in national- and restricted state parks, you just can't launch and land in them. I will soon be corrected if wrong.

I live about 2 hours NW of you, have a 110 acre farm north of the Mohawk River, south of the Adirondack Park. You're welcome to visit and fly any time you're in the area.

That invitation goes for all forum members, just hit me up with a personal message at least week or so beforehand.

Last edited:
Well you can, technically, fly in national- and restricted state parks, you just can't launch and land in them. I will soon be corrected if wrong.

I live about 2 hours NW of you, have a 110 acre farm north of the Mohawk River, south of the Adirondack Park. You're welcome to visit and fly any time you're in the area.
Very nice offer! I may take you up on it, thank you! I get the part about airspace vs. operating, the airspace issues are pretty well defined by the FAA. It's the state and local regs I struggle with. I'll keep digging. Thanks again!

I am recently retired and just received my first drone yesterday. A bit concerned about not understanding the local rules here. When I joined this forum, I was under the impression it was local but I'm thinking it more like global. Anyway thanks again for your help and offer. Look forward to talking more and seeing some pics from your flights.

That invitation goes for all forum members, just hit me up with a personal message at least week or so beforehand.

Cool WOODSTOCK, PARTY:cool::cool::cool::oops::rolleyes:???????????????????????????:cool::cool::cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser