DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using an iPad 9.7 over their iPad Mini 4

nutsnbolts

Reactions
I know 9.7 is the latest and selling cheaper than the iPad mini 4.

Anyone can share their experience with upgrading to an iPad 9.7 from an iPad mini 4 and perhaps not liking it.

I know it comes down to screen size preference and even perhaps the brighter screen on the 9.7 but would like to hear from people who has either both or have recently upgraded and what they think about the "new" experience.

I would also like to know the answer to this.

The only disadvantage I can think of by using the larger 9.7 iPad is that it doesn't fit in the RC arms, so you have to use a separate mounting bracket - one more thing to pack and carry around and mess with. But I haven't used one.

I hope someone can share some advantages/disadvantages.

I actually have a Mavmount 2.0 which is the BEST. (shameless advertising plug :)) but seriously it is so nice that it's giving me an excuse to upgrade to an iPAD mini 4 then I stumbled upon the 9.7 but like you said the extra screen size I don't think makes much more sense as it's not 4k and just scales it up yadda yadda. Sorry not sure about the technicalities.

I use the 9.7 and its awesome. But yeah, the mount would be the extra item to carry around. It gets a bit heavy after extended use mounted on a remote so maybe a lanyard to hang around ur neck would be good. If i wanted to use just the ipad without a remote, its also much easier on a larger screen than smaller.

I use the 9.7 and its awesome. But yeah, the mount would be the extra item to carry around. It gets a bit heavy after extended use mounted on a remote so maybe a lanyard to hang around ur neck would be good. If i wanted to use just the ipad without a remote, its also much easier on a larger screen than smaller.
I'm sure any large screen is awesome but I'm now thinking from a practicality perspective. The iPad mini 4 may be the right "larger" size on top of a 5.4/5.5/6 inch device.

You can now get the standard Apple iPad 9.7" (2017 edition) for just $249. Thats CHEAP.
The only downside is that it's the only iPad currently sold that does NOT have the Anti-Glare screen, like the Mini 4 has.
I'm sure putting an anti-glare screen protector on it would help a lot.

I think I'll just stick with the iPad Mini 4, for it's ease-of-use and portability, and a full-size iPad wouldn't fit in my mavic bag. If really want the best experience I'll drag out the goggles anyway.

You can now get the standard Apple iPad 9.7" (2017 edition) for just $249. Thats CHEAP.
The only downside is that it's the only iPad currently sold that does NOT have the Anti-Glare screen, like the Mini 4 has.
I'm sure putting an anti-glare screen protector on it would help a lot.

I think I'll just stick with the iPad Mini 4, for it's ease-of-use and portability, and a full-size iPad wouldn't fit in my mavic bag. If really want the best experience I'll drag out the goggles anyway.
Yeah that's the dilemma. Spending more on an outdated device but then again 128gb and smaller packable iPad than the 9.7. For $249 it's only 32gb, twice as heavy and large and kinda ridiculous now that I think of it to have something portable like a spark and have a larger iPad to carry around.

Reactions: Dariof
The reason I got the Mini 4 instead of a new, larger, cheaper, iPad was because i did not like the iPad covering up the RC screen and control sticks. It fit into the jabs and was bigger then my phone. Thought about getting a newer "plus" phone, but my iPhone 6 was still giving me good service and I didn't like the idea of turning it to "airplane mode" while flying and not being able to get calls or texts, and I definitely did not like texts etc interrupting the GO4 app while flying. So still have my phone in my pocket, if needed, and a good screen to see where I am flying
Za3Qi4vzQLem%uisLAvvzA_thumb_1216.jpg

My Ipad Mini 2 has started to struggle. I have an Ipad Pro 9.7 so may well get the Mavmount and see how it all works together.

The reason I got the Mini 4 instead of a new, larger, cheaper, iPad was because i did not like the iPad covering up the RC screen and control sticks. It fit into the jabs and was bigger then my phone. Thought about getting a newer "plus" phone, but my iPhone 6 was still giving me good service and I didn't like the idea of turning it to "airplane mode" while flying and not being able to get calls or texts, and I definitely did not like texts etc interrupting the GO4 app while flying. So still have my phone in my pocket, if needed, and a good screen to see where I am flying
View attachment 27589
Yes that is a good point. I think the larger screen is a bit overwhelming mounted on the controller. I need something light weight. I think I know what I may need to do. But thanks for the input everyone and keep the input coming.

It will work very well. Trust me. Just make sure you get the right size for the iPad.
For me the ipad Air2 9.7 with MavMount 2.0 is the perfect setup. I can easily see the RC if needed, but all is duplicated on screen anyway. I have a protector case and the heavier clamp option. I would suggest optional Lanyard kit along with it.
323421d49660d17fafb9d3f6b6d77c36.jpg
9cc6df8137d030c04d060a46d7a1736f.jpg
fa548ea49834165720dbfb0cbaf00e9a.jpg

For me the ipad Air2 9.7 with MavMount 2.0 is the perfect setup. I can easily see the RC if needed, but all is duplicated on screen anyway. I have a protector case and the heavier clamp option. I would suggest optional Lanyard kit along with it.
323421d49660d17fafb9d3f6b6d77c36.jpg
9cc6df8137d030c04d060a46d7a1736f.jpg
fa548ea49834165720dbfb0cbaf00e9a.jpg

Looks really great! I did purchase the iPad Mini 4. The 9.7 is just too large for me although it looks great in your pictures. I just don't want to mount something like that large. I did purchase the large mount as well as the largest mount possible from mavmount just in case there are other options I run into. Thanks for the pictures.

I recently bought the Mini 4 based on the overwhelming recommendations. I really like it vs. my iPhone or full size iPad; The other things not mentioned here are:
1. The Mini 4 has 128gb of memory while the comparably priced full size iPad has 32gb.
2. The prices on both iPads are coming way down due to the large installed base and many competitive products. The week after Christmas, I took advantage of a tip on this site, and bought the Mini 4 for $299. This week Best Buy has them for $325 which will probably be the regular price as the full size settles around $250

I did my first flights with the new Mini and found it to be an excellent choice. The size and weight are great; the screen was so much easier to read vs the iPhone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS