DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anywhere good to fly in the U.K.?

SteveM

Reactions
Hi
I live near Banbury (20 miles from Oxford).
I am struggling to find any interesting places to fly and film.
Anyone got any suggestions? Will travel.
Looking forward to your ideas
Many thanks

Was up in the Lake District last week, pretty nice up there even if it's a little cold. Rent a boat on one of the lakes, we were at Windermere. Go on a hike up the mountains and there's plenty of nice places to fly.

Malvern, Wrekin, Welsh coast, north York moors, Whitby are a few places I have flown.

Reactions: SteveM
Malvern, Wrekin, Welsh coast, north York moors, Whitby are a few places I have flown.

Thanks. Flew at Barmouth (West Wales) - which was great
Will take a look at your suggestions

Was up in the Lake District last week, pretty nice up there even if it's a little cold. Rent a boat on one of the lakes, we were at Windermere. Go on a hike up the mountains and there's plenty of nice places to fly.

Thanks. Thought the National Park would be a NFZ but website seems to say it is ok for hobbyists :)

Yeah I forgot to say I had checked that already :) having said that there were some low level Tornado jets flying over the lake one day so don't go too high!

844c73427abbff8a46cada9505c8e337.jpg

Don't worry about the Tornadoes, take the Mavic into the woods and they're too big to follow you

Reactions: cargoBob
Thanks. Thought the National Park would be a NFZ but website seems to say it is ok for hobbyists :)
we dont have a national park flight restriction that i am aware of in the UK, I live in Keswick in the heard of the lake district and have no issues or NFZ warnings anywhere near me, tornado jets do fly directly above my head but they are usually at an altitude of around 400-600m on training routes so stick to your 400ft ceiling and you will be fine :)

Reactions: M K
Hi
Many thanks
I'd recommend Barmouth as well, got a massive estuary, sand banks at low tide, rocky mountains, woods, streams, what more could you ask for? I live in Northampton, not unlike Banbury but love many villages here with their churches, country houses, old now often converted mills, cottages, rivers. Just remember to stay 50 metres from people's homes and no flying directly over them. Look around on Google earth. Depends what you appreciate but if its dramatic scenery I second Barmouth. After that Lake District can be stunning in the right weather conditions as of course can parts of Scotland. Only problem with the last two is I think you need to be well aware of military low level traffic so stay well under the 150 metre limit - they fly low but to my knowledge, not that low but you do have to be careful, I've looked down on them as they tear through the valleys.

The National Trust own a lot of the Lake District and officially do not permit landing, takeoff or flying over their land. I am not sure whether this rule is even legal in the UK or just a wish on their part, and also the Lake District is a big place and it's unlikely anyone will even notice you. But to avoid arguments it is worth keeping clear of NT staff at their car parks etc.

The National Trust own a lot of the Lake District and officially do not permit landing, takeoff or flying over their land. I am not sure whether this rule is even legal in the UK or just a wish on their part, and also the Lake District is a big place and it's unlikely anyone will even notice you. But to avoid arguments it is worth keeping clear of NT staff at their car parks etc.
They may well own the Land, but, as far as I know, not the airspace above it, I think you'll find that is all controlled by the CAA.
Saying that, surely there is nothing stopping you taking off from a Public Lay-by, beside the road.
I would have thought that any road that runs through NT property is a public thoroughfare?
I think they would find that a hard one to argue in a Court of Law !
It's about time the NT got there heads out of the sand and realise that drone pictures/video of there properties can only do them good from the point of spreading interest in the relevant building,etc to the general public at large.
Just my 5 pennys worth

Last edited:
Hi
Many thanks

I was looking for places too (since I am at Heathrow which is of course a NFZ...) so I used the BMFA site to find a club near me, and there are at least 4 within 15 mins... BMFA Club Map - I have just joined the organisation, which included 3rd party liability insurance ANYWHERE up to £25m even if not at a club event (I hope I don't cause that much damage)... Hope this helps

I was looking for places too (since I am at Heathrow which is of course a NFZ...) so I used the BMFA site to find a club near me, and there are at least 4 within 15 mins... BMFA Club Map - I have just joined the organisation, which included 3rd party liability insurance ANYWHERE up to £25m even if not at a club event (I hope I don't cause that much damage)... Hope this helps

I use viewranger - a hiking app to find public footpaths from which to fly, and it works a treat for finding places to fly from

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada