DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apocalypse in the Pacific Northwest - Flying Drone through Wildfire Smoke

IlluminationsfromtheAttic

Reactions

Catastrophic wildfires have transformed the normally clear blue skies of the Pacific Northwest into an landscape wreathed in dense smoke from the the forest fires that are raging in Oregon, Washington, and California. The entire West Coast has gone up in flames, and I filmed this video to document the awful air quality and fear that I and millions of other people in the Pacific Northwest are dealing with right now. It is unhealthy even to go outside, as the air has become more polluted than anywhere else on Earth.

In case you're wondering, I did not fly near any fires to film this video. The nearest wildfires is still many miles away. Never fly near an active wildfire as you will interfere with firefighters and the aircraft they are using to fight forest fires.

Outstanding on every count! Composition, storytelling, visual style, editing & music -each is dead on. We live in the smoke zone in NorCal, and your video pretty much sums it up. Consumer aerial videography at its best!

What city are you in? My Son lives in West Seattle. I'm going to send him a link to this thread.

I've always wondered about one thing. Does the West Coast have Fire Breaks? Fire breaks are spaced out strips of land with no vegetation that are maintained that way, several hundred yards wide. In western PA., most of the mountains have fire breaks.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
We had wildfire in Provence (France) like every summer... But I have never seen a sky so representative of a sad and great ecological catastrophe! Be safe!

I live in the Medford area of Southern Oregon that has had its share of devastation too.
Currently, I'm not flying my new Mini due to the thick smoke hanging around here for the past week.
I'm sure that I would lose sight of it if I gained much altitude or ventured very far from home.
It's been ugly and the effects will be seen for quite a few years from now.
It has been a very strange week, during an extremely strange year!

Reactions: RMS001
Impressive video! Very special light in the first half of the video, looks like doomsday... which perhaps it is if you life in that area. Good luck!

I've always wondered about one thing. Does the West Coast have Fire Breaks? Fire breaks are spaced out strips of land with no vegetation that are maintained that way, several hundred yards wide. In western PA., most of the mountains have fire breaks.

Yes there are firebreaks out West. They have a 50’ wide firebreak between the SCU Complex Fire and the San Jose /Evergreen region.

Great job on all levels ! Like a good painting it brought out many emotions!! Sound track perfect ! Very eerie!
my heart goes out to all of you out there !! Stay safe !!

Yes there are firebreaks out West. They have a 50’ wide firebreak between the SCU Complex Fire and the San Jose /Evergreen region.
fires breaks get you into areas and act as anchor points to fight fires from but lots of other factors such as amount of dry fuels, weather on the day especially winds. Additionally breaks must be maintained and whether we like it or not maintenance often suffers when it comes down to dollars.
Doesn't matter how wide the break is if the fire is spotting over, often kilometres from the front.
Continual, weeks, of continuous sorta gets you down so the clip is a fair record i'd say. Let's hope for a weather change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura