Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App Suggestions for Pilots

TonyPHX

Chuck Norris's drones don't crash.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello All,

I saw a few threads on Tripltek since joining this forum and have been meaning to add this to the discussion for a while. For me, Android is not my daily driver. I have been an iPhone/iPad user for years and am pretty locked into the Apple ecosystem. However, it soon became obvious that IOS is not great for drone flying for various reasons, mostly related to heat and screen dimming for me.

The Tripltek was my chance to get reacquainted with Android. One app that has been particularly helpful for night flying is called "Twilight Blue Light Filter" which allows the entire device to have a red tint filter applied to all apps and the home screen. This saves my nightvision and allows me to tweak the display very well for night time use.

The other apps that I use are pretty common and much discussion has taken place regarding the flyer apps for LAANC etc. One maybe not so obvious one for Android users is also the Apple Music App. Yes, sometimes when just recreationally flying I like to have my Apple playlists and music and they do have a version of the Music app for android.

Hopefully one or both of these suggestions help somebody else. I am also looking forward to hearing about any must-have apps you use on your flying tablet.

Tony

Reactions: Papa Beach
Thanks for the info Tony, must have a look at the Twilight app. We are still not allowed to fly nights here without a waiver. Hope the Tripltek is working out for you, I’m told that Phoenix’s weather is similar to here, the overheating of the apple gear was always a pain.
Regards

Reactions: TonyPHX
The tripltek has been a pleasant surprise. I am sure I could source it cheaper on alibaba but I paid tripltek for convenience. : )

Arizona weather is pretty amazing year round. But summertime with direct sunlight the phone would go about five minutes before blacking the screen.

Tony, living next door in New Mexico and having similar sunny, warm days, that's why I went with the Tripltek 8 Pro. It's working great for me. I haven't done any nighttime flying, but I'll check out the twilight app and I like the idea of music playing when I fly. Thanks for sharing.

Tony, living next door in New Mexico and having similar sunny, warm days, that's why I went with the Tripltek 8 Pro. It's working great for me. I haven't done any nighttime flying, but I'll check out the twilight app and I like the idea of music playing when I fly. Thanks for sharing.
I have done a few propery shoots in New Mexico (very close to the AZ border) and I have told my wife several times that if we did not live in Arizona that New Mexico would be another great place! Great people, amazing scenery!!!

Reactions: CorralesDan
FWIW, a blue light filter is available via the settings menu in many modern smartphones. At least my current phone (Xiaomi Mi 11), the one before that (Samsung Galaxy S8+) and my current tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S7) all have this function. It is intended to reduce the amount of blue light at night, because excessive blue light will trick the brain to think it is daytime. But if you're flying, why would you convince your brain that it's time to sleep?

• Haha
FWIW, a blue light filter is available via the settings menu in many modern smartphones. At least my current phone (Xiaomi Mi 11), the one before that (Samsung Galaxy S8+) and my current tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S7) all have this function. It is intended to reduce the amount of blue light at night, because excessive blue light will trick the brain to think it is daytime. But if you're flying, why would you convince your brain that it's time to sleep?
Antero52, I may have not been clear with the original post. Sorry - the title of the app about blue light reduction is not really why I am recommending it. It is a poorly titled app. : )

The feature I use is to be able to tint things red to preserve night vision for nighttime flying. Definitely not looking to sleep! :)

The iPhone can do this natively with a color profile, so no app needed there. Android 10 (which ships on the Tripltek tablet) can not without an app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3