DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App version question with 1.03 firmware

Frank Dracman

Reactions
I have a Mini 2 and right now it has 1.03 firmware and I'm using 1.5.9 Fly app on an Android. It is working correctly at this time. I am going to have it geo unlocked through drone-hackz. Is there any advantage/disadvantage (features) to using a newer version of the fly app? I obviously don't want to be forced to update the firmware?
Thank you.

"If it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it!"
I understand that and I am a big perponant as you can tell by what versions of both the app and the firmware I'm using, however if there is a newer version of the fly app that won't force me to update my firmware which offers benefits such as stability connectivity or features etc that would benefit me, I wanted to be informed.

I understand that and I am a big perponant as you can tell by what versions of both the app and the firmware I'm using, however if there is a newer version of the fly app that won't force me to update my firmware which offers benefits such as stability connectivity or features etc that would benefit me, I wanted to be informed.
That's always a double edged sword. Be careful what you ask for. There is no free lunch. DJI is famous for introducing new features with poison pills, like GEO, anti-rollback, and RID. Best way to test is to borrow someone's Android phone and download the latest Fly version and see. That way, your original version remains sandboxed on your own phone. Also, do not update your Android OS! That's where many get tripped up! Your old version will likely require Fly app updating for compatibility with the new OS! Good luck!

That's always a double edged sword. Be careful what you ask for. There is no free lunch. DJI is famous for introducing new features with poison pills, like GEO, anti-rollback, and RID. Best way to test is to borrow someone's Android phone and download the latest Fly version and see. That way, your original version remains sandboxed on your own phone. Also, do not update your Android OS! That's where many get tripped up! Your old version will likely require Fly app updating for compatibility with the new OS! Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. Im not so much interested in the latest version as it seems they usually only benefit the newer drones. I'm more curious about the last version that worked best with the Mini 2. I haven't used the drone in a while (I'm giving it to my son) and at the time 1.5.9 was it. Had any other features or benefits been implemented in any of the later versions?

Thank you for your reply. Im not so much interested in the latest version as it seems they usually only benefit the newer drones. I'm more curious about the last version that worked best with the Mini 2. I haven't used the drone in a while (I'm giving it to my son) and at the time 1.5.9 was it. Had any other features or benefits been implemented in any of the later versions?
Probably best then to leave it as is, and let your son make that decision. It's then on him if he updates and loses some functionality, like unlocked GEO! I don't buy a drone unless it meets my needs "as is" at the time of purchase, so I am not tempted by any of the DJI sirens, luring me into a potential shipwreck by updating! Updating the app without a separate drone FW update rarely adds features or benefits, and can only take away prior app settings. GEO used to be an optional toggle in the app. When people were lured into updating the app, the toggle was removed, making GEO mandatory! RID is also no longer a toggle in the app!

Thank you GadgetGuy. If I try another version of the Fly app say 1.8 with the better menu will it force an update to my firmware or prevent me from downgrading back to 1.5.9? Doesn't the MM2 NOT have RID regardless of app version?
Thanks again you have been very helpful.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thank you GadgetGuy. If I try another version of the Fly app say 1.8 with the better menu will it force an update to my firmware or prevent me from downgrading back to 1.5.9? Doesn't the MM2 NOT have RID regardless of app version?
Thanks again you have been very helpful.
Trying a newer version of the Fly app shouldn't force a drone FW update, but may require it to be used with it. Legally, the Mini 3 Pro shouldn't have RID either, but DJI mandated it anyway, in a recent FW update for all users! Mini 2 could potentially have it imposed, too! I'd be more worried about your DroneHackz GEO bypass. Those hacks generally require earlier FW versions, which were not locked down and before anti-rollback FW.

"Better" menus are just a trap. If the old ones work, leave it be! JMHO

Picking here on this topic...
I have a Mini 2 with Aircraft firmware 01.05.000 and Fly app 1.7.0 installed. Launching the Fly app it asks me to upgrade but since everything works fine, I don't see any benifit to update. I just hope it will not affect anything because when I use Litchi it tells me to be sure I have the latest DJI software installed.
So I don't know what is the best thing to do: update or not?

Picking here on this topic...
I have a Mini 2 with Aircraft firmware 01.05.000 and Fly app 1.7.0 installed. Launching the Fly app it asks me to upgrade but since everything works fine, I don't see any benifit to update. I just hope it will not affect anything because when I use Litchi it tells me to be sure I have the latest DJI software installed.
So I don't know what is the best thing to do: update or not?

I'm on 1.06 with Fly App 1.9.4 and no issues. I don't fly far so I don't know about long range connection issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54