DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apparently DJI will Not Warranty Crashes with Third Party Apps?

Baltorep

Reactions
I was watching a YouTube video in which the Mavic Pro owner had a crash. He does not rule out pilot error but he contacted DJI just in case. DJI tells him they will not warranty crashes when a third party app is used. Which is understandable because apparently telemetry is not stored by third party apps. He then asked for a list of approved apps. DJI responded by saying only DGI Go 4 is approved for use. They apparently will not cover a crash even if the DJI GS pro is used!?! Check out his video for more detail.

Old news...and I agree with @firestars . Why should DJI be responsible for 3rd party apps?. That's like flashing the ECM (computer module) on your car with some aftermarket tune, then blowing your engine and expecting the manufacture to cover it under warranty.

Not true in all cases. I crashed and all but destroyed mine because of the fact that it sensed the sun as an 'obstacle' and wouldn't return home. (Was pretty green back then, would be an easy situation now.) ;) I quiet clearly stated that I was using Litchi during the flight, and they ended up replacing the entire drone under warranty. (Don't have Refresh....it was just a warranty replacement.)

So, not.....that's not true.

I agree as well. The curious part was not covering the DJI GS Pro app.
I just read/searched through the entire DJI GS Pro manual and found NO mention of it voiding DJI warranty.

Does anyone know if GS Pro stores flight data? This not covering GS Pro sounds weird.

Why should DJI be responsible for 3rd party apps?. That's like flashing the ECM (computer module) on your car with some aftermarket tune, then blowing your engine and expecting the manufacture to cover it under warranty.

Except it's not like that.

DJI provides the developer kit to 3rd parties in order for them to create their own apps to use with DJI products. So these 3rd party flight apps.... are made possible because of DJI. By putting out the SDK, DJI can control what how those 3rd party apps work.

I'm a bit perplexed by the "DJI can control what how those 3rd party apps work." statement. The only way that could be achieved is by the developer submitting the app to DJI for some sort of approval. I am somewhat familiar with this sort of process working for the worlds largest ERP company which also incorporates "add-ons" (i.e. 3rd party apps) in our architecture. We also test these add-ons and once approved the developers can market them as XXX compatible. If not approved we void the service agreement(s) if support is needed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme