DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple iOS 13 Beta and M2P

Brad Ruff

Reactions
I just wanted to put this out there for anybody who has the desire to live on the edge, like me. Hahaha [emoji12]

I have been flying with a new iPad Pro for several months. I hope that someday DJI will update the Go4 app to utilize the edge to edge screen. Recently I upgraded to iPadOS 13 Beta 1. I also fly my M2P with the latest firmware installed.

I’m happy to say that everything works normally after several tests flights.
If you fly with a new iPad Pro you will likely need to buy a USB to USB C cable.

I haven’t tested with iOS 13 Beta on my iPhone...but I imagine it would work the same.

Before anybody posts that I’m crazy or stupid for doing this...I can only guess that you don’t fly with an iPad or have not checked out all the new stuff coming in iOS 13. I just couldn’t wait. Plus I had an older iPad to use as backup if needed.

Happy flying!!!

Last edited:
I just wanted to put this out there for anybody who has the desire to live on the edge, like me. Hahaha [emoji12]

I have been flying with a new iPad Pro for several months. I hope that someday DJI will update the Go4 app to utilize the edge to edge screen. Recently I upgraded to iPadOS 13 Beta 1. I also fly my M2P with the latest firmware installed.

If you fly with a new iPad Pro you will likely need to buy a USB to USB C cable.

I haven’t tested with iOS 13 Beta on my iPhone...but I imagine it would work the same.

Before anybody posts that I’m crazy or stupid for doing this...I can only guess that you don’t fly with an iPad or have not checked out all the new stuff coming in iOS 13. I just couldn’t wait. Plus I had an older iPad to use as backup if needed.

Happy flying!!!

This is good news, it should be polished by the time it comes out to the public in the fall. This is not surprising though, since apple sells the M2P at the apple store.

This is good news, it should be polished by the time it comes out to the public in the fall. This is not surprising though, since apple sells the M2P at the apple store.

A little surprising. I’ve had plenty of problems when testing previous beta versions. Usually connection or app crashing problems.
I doubt it has anything to do with them selling DJI drones in their stores.

Before anybody posts that I’m crazy or stupid for doing this...I can only guess that you don’t fly with an iPad or have not checked out all the new stuff coming in iOS 13.

I have iPads, and I sometimes test beta releases of OS/software, but I would never trust a beta iOS on my drone controller tablet.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that DJI is testing the GO app with iOS 13. But you are using a release version of GO on an OS it has not been tested on.

If your drone falls out of the sky and they find you were using a beta OS, they may not honor the warranty. If you're out of warranty, you're still taking a chance of something not working, which means the possibility of a catastrophic failure.

Why would you do that?
I just couldn’t wait. Plus I had an older iPad to use as backup if needed.

Okay. The backup isn't going to do you much good, post crash.

Chris

I have iPads, and I sometimes test beta releases of OS/software, but I would never trust a beta iOS on my drone controller tablet.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that DJI is testing the GO app with iOS 13. But you are using a release version of GO on an OS it has not been tested on.

If your drone falls out of the sky and they find you were using a beta OS, they may not honor the warranty. If you're out of warranty, you're still taking a chance of something not working, which means the possibility of a catastrophic failure.

Why would you do that?

Okay. The backup isn't going to do you much good, post crash.

Chris

If you read my post you would know that I was eager to test and use the new features of iOS 13 Beta. I still have an older iPad I could use for flying.

After a week or so I began running some tests with my drone. In the beginning it was only connection test, stuff like that. When it came to actual flying, it was done in a small area in my backyard. Very basic stuff. Take off, landing, simple controls. After much of this I began flying it a little further and tested more features. Everything works perfectly.

As for warranty. I’m pretty sure I’m past that...and I have it all insured through State Farm.

I did not post this to tell people to follow my lead. I nearly was letting people know.

If you read my post you would know that I was eager to test and use the new features of iOS 13 Beta. I still have an older iPad I could use for flying.

After a week or so I began running some tests with my drone. In the beginning it was only connection test, stuff like that. When it came to actual flying, it was done in a small area in my backyard. Very basic stuff. Take off, landing, simple controls. After much of this I began flying it a little further and tested more features. Everything works perfectly.

As for warranty. I’m pretty sure I’m past that...and I have it all insured through State Farm.

I did not post this to tell people to follow my lead. I nearly was letting people know.
(Okay. The backup isn't going to do you much good, post crash)

What he said was what good would the backup iPad do if your beta testing took a nose dive and crashed your drone. After the crash you would mount the Backup iPad on the controller "then what"

(Okay. The backup isn't going to do you much good, post crash)

What he said was what good would the backup iPad do if your beta testing took a nose dive and crashed your drone. After the crash you would mount the Backup iPad on the controller "then what"

I got it the first time around.

Guess I should’ve just kept all this to myself. Too many “the glass is half empty” people here.

Sad...

If you read my post you would know that I was eager to test and use the new features of iOS 13 Beta.

No need to get sore. You posted that you're flying on a beta iOS. That you were eager and had a backup is irrelevant. I posted my opinion that this isn't something that I personally would do, that I don't think it's a good idea.

This isn't glass half-full stuff, this is 100% taking a unnecessary chance with your expensive investment, something you can't undo after a crash.

Anecdote: I was in the software business for 30 years and tested beta (and alpha) bits before that. Even some professionals would test beta bits on their main production machine, so you're not alone in your eagerness. But I personally preferred to use secondary machines, so that I always had a main working (and fully supported) environment to do my job. When the guys that took chances had their machine go south, they got no support and so were down for a few hours flattening their machine and re-installing only tested and released bits. The only thing they could say to their bosses was "sorry, I'm now a day behind in my work". But at least their machine didn't fall out of the sky.

Edit: I'll give you this: if the beta iOS crashed or caused GO 4 to crash, you would probably still have your controller to guide your craft home, including RTH. This would still make me feel uncomfortable, but if I kept my cool, it probably wouldn't result in a crash. I still wouldn't do it though (use beta iOS).

Chris

Last edited:
I get what you posted. I guess your a chance taker and it worked out for you anyway. I'm glad your drone did not take a nose dive. Your a risk taker, your rights...... I was looking at it in a different way... the what if way.... like I said, I'm glad it went well.

I loaded the dev version of IOS 13 Last week and tried a few of the features like dark mode, which was nice. Then things started to fail like sometimes happens with betas. I didn't try using the DJI app, too risky. I've since restored back to the previous release. Will just wait now for the public release.

I loaded the dev version of IOS 13 Last week and tried a few of the features like dark mode, which was nice. Then things started to fail like sometimes happens with betas. I didn't try using the DJI app, too risky. I've since restored back to the previous release. Will just wait now for the public release.

Which model iPad? I wonder if that could make a difference. As I have had very few problems. Like with only one app out of every one I have. I think it’s one of the most stable first and second betas that I have ever tested. And I’ve fooled with them all since the very first iPhone. If it wasn’t so stable, I would’ve reverted back to the previous iOS 12 version. This is the only reason I ever started tinkering with the drone.

Which model iPad? I wonder if that could make a difference. As I have had very few problems. Like with only one app out of every one I have. I think it’s one of the most stable first and second betas that I have ever tested. And I’ve fooled with them all since the very first iPhone. If it wasn’t so stable, I would’ve reverted back to the previous iOS 12 version. This is the only reason I ever started tinkering with the drone.

It was on an iPhone Xr model, not an iPad. I do have an iPad Pro 10.5" but tested it first on my phone and after seeing how buggy it was I decided not to load it on my iPad.

It was on an iPhone Xr model, not an iPad. I do have an iPad Pro 10.5" but tested it first on my phone and after seeing how buggy it was I decided not to load it on my iPad.

They split them into iPhoneOS and iPadOS now. I have it on my iPhone XSMax with only minor issues.

Hopefully the Public Beta will be released within the next couple weeks.
[emoji1303]

The good (unrelated) thing about iOS13 is that with Apple Carplay, if you're showing a map on your car's screen, that if someone picks up your phone and fiddles with it and goes to another app, it'll no longer close down on the car screen !

Happy flying!!!
Great news, but If you say and mean you live on the edge, haha... then I need you to beat test the iPhone and iPad mini 4 (2018)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut